Canon to announce RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM this month

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sounds like a kit lens for an inexpensive (~$800?) full frame camera. I wonder if we’ll see one of those announced as well?
If we do, I hope it's not only relative inexpensive, but also relatively small. The RP was, for me, a great size: use the EG-E1 for larger lenses, remove the EG-E1 minigrip to stick it in a coat pocket.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Honestly, sounds like a super cheap kit-lens which drives customer back to the store just two days after a camera purchase in order to get a capable and/ or versatile lens...

Zoom range is extremely small, aperture is pretty dark... it must be super cheap (less than the 50mm F1.8 imho) and extremely small. Otherwise, this lens will be irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is just Canon's version of the Nikon 24-50 F4-6.3, that was released with the Z5, and similar to the Sony 28-60 F4-5.6, that was released with the A7C. Those lenses are $400 and $500 respectively, which seems pretty steep for short range slow zooms. They are both tiny, though. Presumably this will be too, which will be its main (only?) selling point. Although this is pretty slow, it's equivalent to a 15-32 F2.8-4 crop lens. Plenty of M users would have preferred such a lens to the 15-45 F3.5-6.3, and, judging by the constant complaints on the DPR R forum about RF-S lenses, plenty of R users would also prefer an RF-S 15-32 F2.8-4 over the current RF-S 18-45 F4.5-6.3.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0