Canon to finally bring a successor to the Cinema EOS C200

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
New Cinema EOS products have been few and far between over the last couple of years. The last camera added to the lineup (not including the EOS R5 C), was the Cinema EOS C70.
We have been told that 2023 will see the introduction of multiple Cinema EOS cameras.
The first one will be the Canon Cinema EOS C200 Mark II, and we have some infomration about it.
One of the more interesting bits of information is the ability to easily switch between EF and RF mounts. We’re told that the EF mount comes off to reveal the RF mount.
Canon Cinema EOS C200 Mark II Specifications

Same image sensor as the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III
Same connection ports as the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III
Compatible with Cinema EOS C300 Mark III and Cinema EOS C500 Mark II accessories
Timecode
SDI Terminals
Easily interchangable EF...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Whats the point. a smaller but not too small c300 mkiii? We already have the c70. Might as well drop the price on the c300 mkiii. The cinema line is going to get redundant with this and a r7c unless canon is being nice and price conscious for once. Basically cameras for all wallet sizes

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Kind of excited, kind of weird? I have a C300 III and already felt like the C70 was cannibalizing it a bit. This is... the same camera, with a swappable EF-RF mount, presumably a smaller but still modular body design, and I'd also guess a lower price. So now you've got three cameras with the same sensor and not much difference beyond body design.

I hope this is announced in tandem with the C300 IV, and I hope the C300 IV remains a 4K S35 camera, but samples from a 5.9K sensor for sharper resolution.

Upvote 0
Man, there are a lot of video-flavored bodies. It seems each R series camera needs its C version, and in the cine line, there needs to be at least three levels of stratification across at three form factors. The market for video cameras must be freaking enormous.

At least the crop-loving stills guys got their R7.

The news story from a few months back about Canon releasing 32 new lenses may make more sense. They certainly haven't been keeping pace with that suggested cadence with normal RF lenses. Perhaps taking existing designs and using Neuro's "adjunct mount conversion apparati" across a dozen lenses for crop sensors, and then doing the same to create some price-juiced "cine" versions could knock down that number by a couple dozen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
This looks like a hard pass. Canon’s engineering team took lazy pills on this one. Why would anyone bother with the C300 Mk iii? I think the C200 Mk II model can be skipped.

What happened to that box camera that was supposed to be coming? That, with built in NDs… A real world 14 stops of dynamic range… Decent preamps and a good wireless solution and it will sell like hotcakes. Oh and can we get a 4:3 sensor?… That doesn’t crop in? I’m prefectly happy deciding in post if I want to crop the image to 17:9 or 16:9 or whatever.

Upvote 0
This looks like a hard pass. Canon’s engineering team took lazy pills on this one. Why would anyone bother with the C300 Mk iii? I think the C200 Mk II model can be skipped.

What happened to that box camera that was supposed to be coming? That, with built in NDs… A real world 14 stops of dynamic range… Decent preamps and a good wireless solution and it will sell like hotcakes. Oh and can we get a 4:3 sensor?… That doesn’t crop in? I’m prefectly happy deciding in post if I want to crop the image to 17:9 or 16:9 or whatever.
I'm also waiting on the box camera, last I heard there would be something in August for it? Not holding my breath, but still holding out hope. I rented a C70 and loved it, so if that box camera is something that will actually exist in the next couple of years I would think about a C70 and this new C200 MK II as a pair in the future. Currently with an original C200 and a R5. R5 has been pretty good about not overheating too much on my, and I've had it since release. But this summer has been brutal in Kentucky and it's starting to be a handicap when shooting 60fps run-and-gun on the Ronin RS 2! My next camera will for sure be RF mount, and it will be hard not to get one that doesn't have NDs built-in.

Has ANYONE heard anything else on the box camera, the Canon EOS C5?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
When does the new C300 come out?
I have been waiting what seems like a very long time for the updated C300/C500/C700 announcements and ability to purchase. Unsure if I’m going with FF again (currently on a pair of 500’s) or back to S35 but once the official specs are dropped I’ll be able to decide from there.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Our main interview A and B cameras at work are a pair of C200s. We're expecting to replace them in the next year, so if we can replace them with the C200 Mark II, that will be perfect.

We have the C70 and EOS R5C for B-Roll and gimbal cameras, but we love the additional ports and viewfinder on the C200 for interviews and livestreams. SDI is a must when you're running several hundred feet of cables to a Blackmagic ATEM switcher.

The perfect thing about this is, if it's the same sensor as the C70 and C300 Mark III, it will let our interview cameras(C200s) match our b-roll cameras(C70) perfectly. I'm good with that. Add in RF mount accessibility and, I would presume, EF-RF speedbooster accessibility, and this is basically the perfect camera for what we need at the moment.

Upvote 0

The C300iii body is 6x6x5.5. How much more of a box do you need?

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
I wonder if this will be announced in conjunction with a sensor/mount swap on the C300 III and C500 II? That would make sense. There was a rumor on this site a little while ago about Canon offering a sensor swap for the C300/C500, akin to how Red used to update the internal circuitry of their cameras while letting you keep the same body.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I have been waiting what seems like a very long time for the updated C300/C500/C700 announcements and ability to purchase. Unsure if I’m going with FF again (currently on a pair of 500’s) or back to S35 but once the official specs are dropped I’ll be able to decide from there.
A ball has the same height, width and depth, but it’s not a cube. See how that works?

Upvote 0