Canon to Fix ‘R5 Freeze’ Issue in Firmware

Jul 21, 2010
Why a low level format?

Never mind. I just did a quick search and learned something. I always thought "low level" meant it was less of a format than normal formatting and I now see that "low level" is actually a more thorough formatting that erases everything on the card. Learn something new all the time. Seems strange though why "low" is more than standard.
Because ‘low level’ formats down to a lower level of the drive hierarchy. Same reason the highest level of system access is root level, the top level of a folder hierarchy is the root directory, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The more I read about R5 & R6 issues, the more I love my EOS R and 5 DIV ;)
None of them has ever "frozen".
I think I'll get me a 5 DSr...
Although my R5 has never frozen it is not like a DSLR in focusing. It has other AF capabilities though like focusing at very low light and IBIS is very good when combined with IS capable RF lenses (and probably EF but I have not tested them). But even so I very much prefer it to my R which I have sold it (and I did not regret it).

I just do not trust R5 to catch some BIF or unique birding moments like I trust my Nikon and Canon DSLRs.

5DsR is a very nice camera if you expose correctly. These days I believe it can be found at a very good price.

Having said that I believe having or not a R5 depends:

1. On what you shoot most.
2. If you have many good EF lenses.
3. A future R5 firmware

The freeze mentioned above cannot be R5's fault but SD card's fault. I remember my first and only freeze in 5DMkIV has been due to an SD card. I removed it and 5DIV recovered. Interesting this card had some issues in other but not all my DSLRs!!! After some full formats in a card reader and low level formats it must have recovered - or I have put it in some other camera - because I never had an issue again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Although my R5 has never frozen it is not like a DSLR in focusing. It has other AF capabilities though like focusing at very low light and IBIS is very good when combined with IS capable RF lenses (and probably EF but I have not tested them). But even so I very much prefer it to my R which I have sold it (and I did not regret it).

I just do not trust R5 to catch some BIF or unique birding moments like I trust my Nikon and Canon DSLRs.

5DsR is a very nice camera if you expose correctly. These days it I believe it can be found at very good price.

Having said that I believe having or not a R5 depends:

1. On what you shoot most.
2. If you have many good EF lenses.
3. A future R5 firmware

The freeze mentioned above cannot be R5's fault but SD card's fault. I remember my first and only freeze in 5DMkIV has been due to an SD card. I removed it and 5DIV recovered. Interesting this card had some issues in other but not all my DSLRs!!! After some full formats in a card reader and low level formats it must have recovered - or I have put it in some other camera - because I never had an issue again.
Well, well, well...
Sooner or later I'll certainly buy an R5 II or an R1.
Or, as you suggest, wait for a reliable firmware.
The trouble, in my case, is that:
-I own 14 EF lenses i'm fully satisfied with
-I love the 5 DIV
-I shoot mostly landscapes and macro, so AF matters less
-I had high expectations of the RF 100 macro, wanted to buy it with R3 or R5, no comment...
-I (stupidly?) expect a new camera to be as reliable as a Nikon F2, Leicaflex or an EOS 5 DII or 5 DIII
But still believe Canon can fix it!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, well, well...
Sooner or later I'll certainly buy an R5 II or an R1.
Or, as you suggest, wait for a reliable firmware.
The trouble, in my case, is that:
-I own 14 EF lenses i'm fully satisfied with
-I love the 5 DIV
-I shoot mostly landscapes and macro, so AF matters less
-I had high expectations of the RF 100 macro, wanted to buy it with R3 or R5, no comment...
-I (stupidly?) expect a new camera to be as reliable as a Nikon F2, Leicaflex or an EOS 5 DII or 5 DIII
But still believe Canon can fix it!
Get one from the Canon store or a retailer that lets you keep it for a fortnight or 30 days and test it extensively to see if it works reliably. Mine has had only 3 crashes in 60,000 shots and required just a flick off and on to restart.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Get one from the Canon store or a retailer that lets you keep it for a fortnight or 30 days and test it extensively to see if it works reliably. Mine has had only 3 crashes in 60,000 shots and required just a flick off and on to restart.
You are by far the best argument for an R5 and 100-500.:)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Couldn't he be an infiltrated Canon-Nikon secret double-agent???
PS: he made me buy Topaz sharpening...
PPS: I didn't regret it either.
I remember now that he had mentioned Topaz Gigapixel and I bought it! He was right of course. I do not use it a lot but it was a nice buy. (y)

So thanks again @AlanF

P.S Oh no! I had got an email by Topaz advertising sharpening. I was thinking about it. And now that you mention that Alan had suggested it too I I am tempted. I will hold until there is a case that will need it.

P.S2 I had mentioned in the past that maybe I should send the bill to Alan!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

P.S3 He didn't have time to persuade me about DxO . I managed to have it already :D :D :D

• Haha
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I entered this forum to get infos about new or future Canon products.
Yet, the major benefit, for me, was becoming a better photographer by using my gear in a different way , simply looking at photographs by members. It may sound strange, but before, I had never paid attention to bokeh (yes, I'm ashamed). And, of course, Topaz (thank you, AlanF);)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
@neuroanatomist : since you have experience with both 1Dx and R3 could you give us your opinion how their AF abilities compare in BIF situations?
The R3 is better at most aspects, especially tracking and holding. The one aspect where I find the 1D X to be better is acquiring an extremely defocused subject. For example, shooting a duck in nearby water, then trying to focus on an eagle soaring overhead.

Overall, I’m satisfied with the R3 to the point that I’ll be selling the 1D X.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The R3 is better at most aspects, especially tracking and holding. The one aspect where I find the 1D X to be better is acquiring an extremely defocused subject. For example, shooting a duck in nearby water, then trying to focus on an eagle soaring overhead.

Overall, I’m satisfied with the R3 to the point that I’ll be selling the 1D X.
Many thanks for your response. May I ask how much better is 1DX in acquiring an extremely defocused subject? Is it the difference very obvious or just observable? I ask because acquiring refers to the first frame which is very important.

P.S I assume that you also have left Lens Drive when AF impossible to ON. On my R5 and I believe other's it is very crucial for focusing in the situation you mentioned above (extreme defocused at least for telephoto lenses)....

P.S2 Sorry for so many questions. I do not have R3 so your input is valuable. I may not get one but if R3 has better AF than R5 (which it may) it may as well show us the capabilities of the future Canon mirrorless cameras.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I meant to follow up on this thread, but didn't realize until today that I haven't had any freezes or problems with my cards for a month now. Unfortunately, I can't exactly pinpoint what solved it, because I made 3 changes all at once. I updated my firmware to 1.5.2 and formatted the SD card that had been giving trouble. But the thing that I actually think resolved it for me was a problem of my own making. When I started using the focus bracketing feature in the early days of having the R5, I tried creating a specific folder for bracketed shots on my card. Long story short, my camera was writing data to both cards but with differently named folders. Changing my SD card folder setting so that it matched the CFExpress card folder name is what I think resolved my card lockup issues.

Upvote 0
The article states cameras returning from service have the update applied -- so what are the changes???
Anything noticable? I mean I suppose they would state if they could notice them.
Maybe its just the same as usual. Autofocus improvements.
Two I think are low hanging fruit.
1. White Balancing in video mode
2. Histogram showing while video is recording

Upvote 0