Canon to release an RF 5.2mm f/2.8L next?

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I have the Canon R5 and various RF lenses. I also got the EF 8-15mm f/4 fisheye lens. With the R5 the view is NOT a fully 180 degree view but I have t slightly crop a bit in order to avoid black corners. The image is intrigued but I can use it very seldom only for special "curvy" effects. I am NOT sure what a lens like a 5,2mm lens can do with my R5 camera and the cost might be huge! (the EF 8-15mm cost me less than 700 USD used). Not bad....
I had to read carefully. At 15mm you don't quite get full frame diagonal corner coverage. As if the lens was designed to get the 180 degree diagonal for slide frames and prints with negatives in holders? Except that the lens was released in the digital era. Odd. (I understand you get a full circle at 8mm).

My experience was with the big (not giant) Nikon 8mm f2.8, and I did a youtube video of my own first time unguided disassembly, cleaning and restoration.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The EF 15mm f/2.8 was released in '87,well before Canon's first DSLR.
Yes, I have owned 2 or 3 of them over the years, sold them and then bought another when I spotted a good deal. For the price on the used market, they were a great lens. I ended up keeping my Tokina 17mm f.3.5 which is wide enough for me. I never took to fisheye images.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
The EF 15mm f/2.8 was released in '87,well before Canon's first DSLR.
True. It was first released in 1987, but it was made (available) during the DSLR era. It was discontinued in 2011 I believe.
My shooting buddy has one and I've used it a few times (film as well as digital). It's decently sharp, with just a tad of red/green fringing. We've used it to shoot Milky Way shots. That's where the f/2.8 comes in handy. Unfortunately the 8-15 is only f/4, as well as being very expensive.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have the Canon R5 and various RF lenses. I also got the EF 8-15mm f/4 fisheye lens. With the R5 the view is NOT a fully 180 degree view but I have t slightly crop a bit in order to avoid black corners....

I had to read carefully. At 15mm you don't quite get full frame diagonal corner coverage. As if the lens was designed to get the 180 degree diagonal for slide frames and prints with negatives in holders? Except that the lens was released in the digital era. Odd. (I understand you get a full circle at 8mm)...
I'm not sure I understand. I just slipped the 8-15 on my R5. No black corners at 15mm.

Just so people understand, the 8-15mm was designed to be used by all three sensor sizes then available, APS-C, APS-H and Full Frame. On full frame it goes from the classic circular image to a cropped image that fills the frame. There are markings on the side of the lens for APS-C and APS-H. APS-H lines up with 12mm and APS-C lines up 10mm (approximately). There is a zoom limiter that prevents you from going below 10mm if you activate it.

It's a fun lens, but I don't use it all that often. I usually take it to a basketball game once or twice a season and shoot from behind the hoop to get a couple of fun shots. I've also used it to get a picture of a small flower in the foreground with the college's main building in the background. It's best used sparingly and I doubt if I would replace it with an RF version, but it's one lens I will keep even if I sell most of my EF lenses.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Here's a 4.9mm fisheye built by Lens Rentals founder Roger Cicala which has a 270 degree field of view:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0