Canon USA Announces Canon Log Feature Upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV

CarlMillerPhoto said:
Matthew19 said:
Why does C-log lose highlights detail? Check out the lines in the building that are there in the neutral shot and lost in clog.

That's C-Log after a very harsh and poor grade (seriously horrible grading in their video). But my guess is that C-Log has less in-camera sharpening than all the other profiles to ensure the lowest amount of sharpening related artifacts. I think something other than a compressed youtube screenshot is needed to know for sure if there is recoverable detail in the file, or if C-Log really wasn't able to capture it.

That's not true. I own the 1DC, and C-logs in camera sharpening is about the same. But thats besides the point. The pre-graded C-log also loses highlight detail, and C-log doesn't have recoverable detail like raw. C-log brings that detail into the shot at 100IRE. I'm saying their test video wasn't even shot with C-log on the 5D iV. I'll bet its not even ready yet, which explains the what until July. Least they could have done is used a camera like the 1DC to show of what clog does, rather than trying to emulate it.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Matt Williams said:
Surely this must also be coming to the 1DX MkII? But if so, then why not announce it at the same time? It would be crazy for the 5D MkIV to have C-Log and not the 1DX MkII. I use the 1DX MkII as a B cam for my C300 MkII - do I need to sell it to downgrade to a 5D MkIV just so I can have a B cam with C-Log? Very confused... I would have thought if they were going to bring C-Log to the 1DX MkII then they would have announced it at the same time, so if they aren't going to, then what possible reason/explanation is there?

I'm with you on this. So the question is what do we do about it. For what it's worth I say contact Canon, and I will. I've done this a few times and seemed positively received.

Jack

Hi - how have you contacted Canon in the past? I've tried various support avenues in the past and never found anyone who seemed particularly knowledgeable or in a position to pass on suggestions like this.

Upvote 0
Canon realise how important C-Log is going to be to people - this was their press release today:

"In a move to help meet the demands of professional filmmakers, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the availability of a feature upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR camera that will add the ability to record with Canon Log. With this upgrade, the EOS 5D Mark IV can achieve a cinematic look similar to what can be achieved using Cinema EOS cameras, allowing it to serve as a second camera on a Cinema EOS shoot or to stand alone as a cinema camera."

So again, to not have this on the 1DXII when they have it on the 5DIV would be just crazy.

A frustrating point - if I do end up selling my 1DXII to downgrade to a 5DIV so I can have C-Log for my B cam, then I'll be left with thousands of pounds worth of CFast II cards that I won't be able to use since the 5DIV can't use them...

I'm hoping that the point raised by someone else might be true - that C Log will just end up being a firmware update for the 1DXII since it can handle it without having to be sent in for a hardware upgrade. Though if this is the case and it's simpler to implement, then that would seem to be even less reason for it not to have been announced first or at the same time. Why would they want to frustrate the people who have spent a huge amount of money on their top of the line DSLR?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Matt Williams said:
Jack Douglas said:
Matt Williams said:
Surely this must also be coming to the 1DX MkII? But if so, then why not announce it at the same time? It would be crazy for the 5D MkIV to have C-Log and not the 1DX MkII. I use the 1DX MkII as a B cam for my C300 MkII - do I need to sell it to downgrade to a 5D MkIV just so I can have a B cam with C-Log? Very confused... I would have thought if they were going to bring C-Log to the 1DX MkII then they would have announced it at the same time, so if they aren't going to, then what possible reason/explanation is there?

I'm with you on this. So the question is what do we do about it. For what it's worth I say contact Canon, and I will. I've done this a few times and seemed positively received.

Jack

Hi - how have you contacted Canon in the past? I've tried various support avenues in the past and never found anyone who seemed particularly knowledgeable or in a position to pass on suggestions like this.

Most of my interactions have been via: [email protected]

I also called the number listed here and was fairly impressed with the rep.

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/ci/documents/view/1/AvMm~wrdDv8S~xb~Gv_6~yLO0tsq8a37B5k3Zz7~Pv~_

Jack

Upvote 0
Canon DSLR's are so far behind and inconvenient regarding video, that I stopped using my 5D4 and 1DX2 for it and only use the GH5s and A7R2s. For pure photography a Canon DSLR is still nice, but that makes the 5DsR the champion of all models with its 50MP. If Canon doesn't come up with a full frame mirrorless camera with EF-mount, it's unlikely I will ever buy a Canon DSLR again - after buying at least 20 in the last 10 years.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Not having C-Log as an option on a 1DX Mark II is a real possibility, unfortunately.

And that's because, if you think about it, even their C300 Mark II cannot shoot 4k 60p. So you would have like a "1DC Mark II" equivalent camera without any additional costs unlike the original 1DC (Ok except the 30min record limit). But, even with the MJPEG codec it would be a beast of a video camera (not to mention it still shoots stills!)

I don't think this update was planned originally, when the 5D Mark IV originally came out, but it received a lot of criticism for its video capabilities. So who knows, maybe they will decide to revise their marketing strategy yet again, but because of these reasons I'm not so sure.
And we know that a 6D Mark II could also have C-Log with a better crop factor (since it will have less megapixels for sure) but they might not even give it proper 4k option to have enough differentiation.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
<p>Canon Log also works with and complements several EOS 5D Mark IV camera features including 4K shooting, Dual Pixel CMOS AF, high speed 119.9p shooting in HD and 59.94p shooting in Full HD.

Emailed CPS asking if this above means that we get DPAF also during 120fps. They responded "Though we have not been fully introduced to every detail, I believe DAF will work with high frame rates. "

There's hope. Although I wouldn't bet on it, seems like I'm the only person in the world hoping for that feature.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I like it that Canon finally starts charging something extra for all those video shenanigans in non-video cameras rather than stuffing it all in for free. As a stills shooter I would have liked Canon long ago to split 5D line into a stills camera series and a "5D C" video-focused line. And video-enabled products being priced significantly higher and stills-only versions significantly lower than at current.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Pebbles said:
Why anyone would buy a 5D4 now is beyond me. It's a Turkey. They know it too. This is a last-ditch effort to keep it relevant. Look at what the competition are doing.

Because I take stills and don't give a stuff about video.
That good enough reason?

I'm guessing that the 5D4 isn't selling as well as previous models. There hasn't been much of a price drop since it's launch a year ago, which is unusual. Both the 5D2 and 5D3 sales were hugely buffered by the "run and gun" film crowd, I think parts of the Marvel Avengers film where made with it some of the hand cam scenes. The problem with the 5D4 is that it's lost that film fan base and they have gone else where. While I'm a stills photographer, it's a better camera for the movie investment. It's hybrid nature helps sell lots of units and allows a better still camera to be built with faster upgrade path than what would have been possible with just a low volume stills camera....But the 5D4 isn't selling too well. It's not featured enough for the movie market and it's too expensive for a lot of photographers. Even professional wedding photographers are choking at the current price, especially whey you can get a near mint late copy of the 5D3 for half the price.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
GMCPhotographics said:
I'm guessing that the 5D4 isn't selling as well as previous models.

Why do you assume that?

GMCPhotographics said:
There hasn't been much of a price drop since it's launch a year ago, which is unusual.

I thought it was launched September 2016? I would have thought no price drop would suggest it is selling well and they don't need to drop the price

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Mikehit said:
Pebbles said:
Why anyone would buy a 5D4 now is beyond me. It's a Turkey. They know it too. This is a last-ditch effort to keep it relevant. Look at what the competition are doing.

That good enough reason?
Yes..I am stills only, too. I was on the fence about the 5DIV. (Have and continue to own 5D Mark III). Researched, a LOT. I have quite a bit of high end EF-mount glass. Looked at the Sony, looked at the 5DS R...and came back to the 5DIV...Because of its balance of handling, compitent interaction with its great lens selection and not "huge" file size. The price is a choker...but I found gray market at $2750. I absolutely love the camera. It was the best choice for me and "my" needs, even though it was not at the top of the heap in the FF resolution dept. I found that the cameras that are at the "top" of that heap had handling and/or noise problems that made them not the best choice for my needs.
It makes me happy to know that Canon is charging separately for some of this video capability that I have NEVER use/used. I would like to see more of that separation for cost savings in the future from Canon.
I thiink it would have been even better if Canon had offered a model without the anti-aliasing filter. That would have been great!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
infared said:
Mikehit said:
Pebbles said:

That good enough reason?
Yes..I am stills only, too. I was on the fence about the 5DIV. (Have and continue to own 5D Mark III). Researched, a LOT. I have quite a bit of high end EF-mount glass. Looked at the Sony, looked at the 5DS R...and came back to the 5DIV...Because of its balance of handling, compitent interaction with its great lens selection and not "huge" file size. The price is a choker...but I found gray market at $2750. I absolutely love the camera. It was the best choice for me and "my" needs, even though it was not at the top of the heap in the FF resolution dept. I found that the cameras that are at the "top" of that heap had handling and/or noise problems that made them not the best choice for my needs.
It makes me happy to know that Canon is charging separately for some of this video capability that I have NEVER use/used. I would like to see more of that separation for cost savings in the future from Canon.
I thiink it would have been even better if Canon had offered a model without the anti-aliasing filter. That would have been great!
+1 for the AA filter. Or they could possibly compromise with one model only with relatively week filter (I do not know though if would be the best or the worst of both worlds). As far as the separately charged video feature(s) I believe that the current price of 5DIV should apply for the updated model. The current (as is) model should be cheaper to begin with (talking mainly about European price)

Upvote 0