Canon USA Announces Canon Log Feature Upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
TAF said:
Canon is conducting the ultimate market survey.

If they get back 90% of the 5D4's for upgrade, then the folks who say that video its critical are proven correct.

If they get back 10% of the 5D4's sold, then they know that video is a nice to have, but not a factor that will allow them to charge a lot more money. $99 is 3% of the price of the body...which is virtually nothing to the individual but significant at the corporate level. If people won't pay that, then you have a very clear answer on what value people place on video capability.

I wonder if they'll tell us the outcome?

I wouldn't be surprised you're 100% correct. Yes they will tell the outcome - indirectly. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
Let's think about what you said here, though- if DSLRs are so terrible for video, why are "Hollywood types" using them at all? Why would that CLog upgrade have been requested? There's plenty of cheaper Sony MILCs with SLog that they could no doubt use instead of a $3.5k stills camera with a mirror in it, right? (I'm being rhetorical here, no need to answer.)

If you want a real answer, I think productions use DSLRS as b cameras sometimes in situations where they might get ruined, as the price makes them more disposable than real cinema cams. The last mad Max movie used a lot of 5d2s in the driving scenes attached to the cars like that. So those users would probably find the addition of LOG output useful. They need big sensor + cheap for that purpose.

As far as why they wouldn't buy a cheap Sony milc, if they are using cinema eos for their other cameras , their workflow is easier now. If they were using sony cinema cameras for primary, the small sony would be ideal for those purposes.

What rrcphoto is trying to say, I think, is that if you're small time and using this as your primary camera a DSLR is not really the ideal form factor. And it's not. Its kind of a pain to shoot video with as it's not designed well for that.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
tr573 said:
What rrcphoto is trying to say, I think, is that if you're small time and using this as your primary camera a DSLR is not really the ideal form factor. And it's not. Its kind of a pain to shoot video with as it's not designed well for that.

winner winner chicken dinner!

a DSLR has to be the most awkward hybrid out there. granted there are SOME that want it, but you can't tell me it's a larger market than people that are already using hybrids with EVF's.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
tr573 said:
rrcphoto said:
and seriously.. did you read the limitations of 4K on the 5D Mark III - no liveview display,etc,etc and I do believe it's MJPEG.

Yeah but this one has a IV, that makes it better. So it must be able to do anything people dream of that Canon has shown it to have zero ability whatsoever to do. After all, it's a IV. Do you even understand that's one higher than III?

do you even understand the point? the sentance, or possibly english?

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
tr573 said:
rrcphoto said:
and seriously.. did you read the limitations of 4K on the 5D Mark III - no liveview display,etc,etc and I do believe it's MJPEG.

Yeah but this one has a IV, that makes it better. So it must be able to do anything people dream of that Canon has shown it to have zero ability whatsoever to do. After all, it's a IV. Do you even understand that's one higher than III?

[Sarcasm]yes[/Sarcasm]

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
tron said:
I would be more willing with a payable firmware that can be installed by camera owners...

I suspect the reason the reason the installation has to be done in a service center is because Canon didn't find a way, or didn't bother developing one, to have the camera's firmware check whether the owner paid for the update or not.

So Canon's solution is to keep the installation file to itself, charging money to have the service center personnel install it same as owner install any other firmware at home.

My money is on

1. The file leaking sooner or later, Canon hoping it would be late enough for it to get the money it planned on.

2. If C Log makes enough money, Canon will develop a mechanism to have customers install paid updates at home, e.g. by having an installation key tied to the camera's serial number and/or requiring it installed via a computer connected to the Internet (in contrast to via a memory card).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Antono Refa said:
tron said:
I would be more willing with a payable firmware that can be installed by camera owners...

I suspect the reason the reason the installation has to be done in a service center is because Canon didn't find a way, or didn't bother developing one, to have the camera's firmware check whether the owner paid for the update or not.

So Canon's solution is to keep the installation file to itself, charging money to have the service center personnel install it same as owner install any other firmware at home.

My money is on

1. The file leaking sooner or later, Canon hoping it would be late enough for it to get the money it planned on.

2. If C Log makes enough money, Canon will develop a mechanism to have customers install paid updates at home, e.g. by having an installation key tied to the camera's serial number and/or requiring it installed via a computer connected to the Internet (in contrast to via a memory card).
Or the update process may be something different than a normal firmware update. Has a service made (remember the cinema series) firmware update leaked before? I believe it has not. It must be a program that installs in a way that does not affect future firmware updates. Firmware must be upgradable whether cameras have this new feature or not.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Certainly helps, but should have been there to begin with and then $99.... when a two year old Sony will still produce better quality 4k and who knows what the next one does....
ah well, whatever
it's been a few years since I have purchased a single item of any sort from Canon
a shame

So Canon are incompetent for not making a DSLR that shoots video as good as a Sony does.
Which means that Sony are incompetent for not making a stills DSLR as good as a Canon.
And considering a DSLR is primarily a stills camera rather than primarily a video camera, who is more incompetent?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
tron said:
Antono Refa said:
tron said:

My money is on

Or the update process may be something different than a normal firmware update. Has a service made (remember the cinema series) firmware update leaked before? I believe it has not. It must be a program that installs in a way that does not affect future firmware updates. Firmware must be upgradable whether cameras have this new feature or not.

My guess is they program some chip that's not user accessible, e.g. some video processing chip that's separate from the main DIGIC. The earlier guess about extra heat sink isn't bad either.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Jack Douglas said:
Just a light hearted comment prompted by another CR member's rant about some usage of english.

Canon is a company or Canon are a company? I must have had my knuckles rapped relating to this because it always seems to ruffle my feathers. ;)

Jack

Ah, the good old collective noun. There is no right or wrong so anyone who rapped your knuckles was doing so out of a misplaced sense of knowledge, but sometimes the context will tell you which should (ideally) be used.

For example:
The crew welcomes you to this flight - the crew as a group welcome you so could be considered singular (but would anyone be confused if you said 'welcome'?)
The crew disembark and are going their separate ways - they can only go separate ways if you consider the crew to be plural.

A lot of these 'rules' were created in Victorian times when they decided the language needed to be codified and standardised but there are so many exceptions as to make most of the 'rules' to be useless.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Jack Douglas said:
Just a light hearted comment prompted by another CR member's rant about some usage of english.

Canon is a company or Canon are a company? I must have had my knuckles rapped relating to this because it always seems to ruffle my feathers. ;)

Jack

Ah, the good old collective noun. There is no right or wrong so anyone who rapped your knuckles was doing so out of a misplaced sense of knowledge, but sometimes the context will tell you which should (ideally) be used.

For example:
The crew welcomes you to this flight - the crew as a group welcome you so could be considered singular (but would anyone be confused if you said 'welcome'?)
The crew disembark and are going their separate ways - they can only go separate ways if you consider the crew to be plural.

A lot of these 'rules' were created in Victorian times when they decided the language needed to be codified and standardised but there are so many exceptions as to make most of the 'rules' to be useless.

Ah, yes, good old queen Victoria. Surprisingly, it seems she had quite an influence in Quebec. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of getting the 5D4 now as I cannot wait 2 more months for it. I was waiting for the 6DII but current deals on the 5D4 (from B&H) I just cannot ignore considering the free items that comes with it and tax free.

The question is, should I wait or not? I will have to send the 5D4 to Canon once the firmware becomes available. But how is my 5D4 going to be any different from the new ones that will ship with the firmware already included? Is the hardware going to be different that makes my 5D4 crappy or will they be the same as the new ones with pre-installed firmware?

Either way, we still have to fork up the extra $100 for the C-Log feature regardless if I wait 2 months or get it now.

Please help.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Keith_Reeder said:
rrcphoto said:

OT, but if you're going to be a smartarse and slag off someone else's comprehension and understanding of English - you might at least spell "sentence" correctly.

oh that's nice... :) I wondered where the heck i got that burn from ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
IglooEater said:
Jack Douglas said:
Ah, yes, good old queen Victoria. Surprisingly, it seems she had quite an influence in Quebec. ;)

Jack

Why Quebec in particular? If you're referring to the holiday, here in Quebec it is more commonly referred to as Fête de Dollard, or now as Fête des patriotes, or Journée nationale des patriotes.

Good question! Did I write that? ??? I'm just now back from a couple days in Old Q city - wow and Montreal was great - what a history, what remarkable old and new buildings, musicians on the street and .... WOW :)

And, I can now say I've walked on the Plains of Abraham! And am a little less ignorant! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
IglooEater said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Why Quebec in particular? If you're referring to the holiday, here in Quebec it is more commonly referred to as Fête de Dollard, or now as Fête des patriotes, or Journée nationale des patriotes.

Good question! Did I write that? ??? I'm just now back from a couple days in Old Q city - wow and Montreal was great - what a history, what remarkable old and new buildings, musicians on the street and .... WOW :)

And, I can now say I've walked on the Plains of Abraham! And am a little less ignorant! ;)

Jack

Well then, Bienvenu and Au Revoir, all at once! Love old Q too.

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
And there it is--> "a lot of my videographer colleagues use Sony..."

I agree with all of the above things that Canon does better, which is why we are talking about improving the video features here, so us filmmakers can go on using these otherwise fine products :)

Why don't we let the video freaks move to Sony and stop whining that a stills camera should be a top-end video camera?

Upvote 0