Canon USA increasing prices on select RF and EF lenses

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Well, there is the next price shock...
I´m glad I got the RF 100-500mm at its original price point. I don't expect that lense price to come in the next five years...
Looking back, getting the RF24-105mm F4 as a kit lense when I bought my R with additional 10% and Cashback was absolute steel.

Now, prices are absolutely insane. I intended to get the RF 14-35mm F4 but in Germanys it is 2.049$ (including sales tax) and I am expecting another raise. So, it leaves me with three opportunities:
- not use an UWA lense
- RF 16mm F2.8mm (didn't like it too much because of its IQ)
- going back to the EF 16-35mm F4 and an adapter (actually got rid of it...) and its price (EF 16-35mm) has increased in Germany as well.

Getting a third party sense like Sigma and Tamron is not an option for me because if I get a sense that requires an adapter, it'll be the RF 16-35mm F4.

BTW: There is also a "secret" (not the correct word) price increase for beginners in Germany because the everlasting Cashback "EOS plus X" has been discontinued... so there is no Cashback at the moment for your lenses when buying a new camera. In 2020, you were able to get Cashback on three RF lenses if you bought an R body. I should've gotten an extra RP and three lenses...the savings from Cashback and the price increases would have made up for the extra body...
Plus, if not needed, I could`ve sold it on eBay and get away with a lot of savings. well, you never know :)
What about getting a used 16-35 from MPB Europe?
Risk is close to zero, if dissatisfied, just send it back. Condition described reflects reality (I've often bought lenses from them, never had an issue).
For me too, RF lens pricing seems a bit excessive, salaries haven't been raised accordingly...

Upvote 0
Canon USA has some refurbed RF 100-500mm in stock. Given the price and its availability, I'd jump on it if I was in the market for this lense.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in Canada and I believe they won't ship to me. It seems like Canon placed a moratorium on shipping to Canada from US retailers at some point in the last 2 years - I just assumed it was to prevent having to make so many price adjustments due to fluctuations in currency conversion.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
I haven't seen that 100-500 in stock in a long time. Kinda disappointing, but not surprising.
It is possible to find but takes some effort and time. I bought 100-500 couple months ago in my local store after monitoring their stock for few weeks. Next day I got e-mail from B&H that it is in stock there as well. I actually bought R5 and all my RF lenses this way (R5 and 4 lenses from the local store, 1 - from B&H).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What about getting a used 16-35 from MPB Europe?
Risk is close to zero, if dissatisfied, just send it back. Condition described reflects reality (I've often bought lenses from them, never had an issue).
For me too, RF lens pricing seems a bit excessive, salaries haven't been raised accordingly...
Thx for the heads-up. I've ordered from MPB in the past including the EF 16-35mm F4 L some years ago. I agree, never had any problems and they offer a great service. I actually thought about ordering this lense at MPB again, but I didn't want to bore anyone with details :)

For now, I decided to get the RF 16mm F2.8 again and keep it this time. I had four reasons:
1. After my last post, I started comparing pics once again and the RF 16mm images are quite alright.
2. Since astrophotography - first tries in 2019 and the pandemic hit - is not happening for me right now, I'll probably wait a couple of years till I get either a UWA zoom or a fast prime (still hoping for a RF 12mm F2 or so).
3. the EF 16-35mm F4 with a mounted RF-EF adapter is too big for some of my bags... (I could make it fit, but it is not comfortable...)
4. getting the EF 16-35mm F4 now, I´d just end up dealing with rude questions when I sell it on eBay sooner or later. I just don't wanna deal with it at this point. Many people are just so rude. At the moment, I'm still waiting for my 600mm F11 to sell people seriously believe I´ll respond to "90 €? I´ll come and get It now" offers...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Saw the significant price increase for the most RF glass at all major dealers (incl. Canon Germany) last week. Ended in a panic purchase of the RF28-70 at a local dealer for the old price (-200EUR) even it was only on my long wish list so far :ROFLMAO:. Seems like I'm happy to get one at all, no matter which price.
The prices in Germany have gone up as well. The RF 15-35mm F2.8 L is now listed as "2.599 €" (amazon/ foto Köster/ foto Erhardt) although the latter one writes 2.599 € now 2.499 €...

Out of curiosity: Who is your local trusted dealer in FFM? I live about 50 miles south and since there is no good camera store here, I need to travel to FFM. So far, I've been to G&M Foto and Foto Leistenschneider. Liked them both.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Now that Canon has raised its prices, there will be products in stock again. This is a very miserable attitude.
Not so sure about that. Before this recent hike, they raised the 70-200 f/2.8,100-500, both 85 1.2s, and the 28-70. Most of these are backordered today. Some come in and are gone within an hour or two.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm fortunate that I bought the RF 100-500 before the last price increase, it's $200 more expensive now and still just as hard to find. Also fortunate that I either already have or have no interest in buying any of the lenses on the list.
I too am fortunate to have gotten a copy before the price increase. I drug my feet for a long time on getting it.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
My desire to re-acquire the 24-105/4 went way down. I always thought about the getting the f4's as a lightweight alternative to the 2.8's but for those prices it changed an "AND" to an "OR". But who am I kidding, I probably will be chasing another lens anyways when I'm in the market to pick something else up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My desire to re-acquire the 24-105/4 went way down. I always thought about the getting the f4's as a lightweight alternative to the 2.8's but for those prices it changed and "AND" to an "OR". But who am I kidding, I probably will be chasing another lens anyways when I'm in the market to pick something else up.
I quite like the RF 24-105/4, bought it with the EOS R. I had the EF 24-105/4 and swapped it for the EF 24-70/2.8 II. But one of the big advantages of an f/2.8 lens on a DSLR was better AF performance, and that doesn't apply with MILC AF systems. I agree, it was tough to sell myself on the 24-105/4 AND the 24-70/2.8 IS, so rather that swap the former for the latter I kept the former and added the 28-70/2. A beast of a lens, but amazing.

Upvote 0
My desire to re-acquire the 24-105/4 went way down. I always thought about the getting the f4's as a lightweight alternative to the 2.8's but for those prices it changed and "AND" to an "OR". But who am I kidding, I probably will be chasing another lens anyways when I'm in the market to pick something else up.
After I read your post, I checked the price for the RF 24-105mm F4 L in Germany and I was absolutely shocked. It is currently priced at 1.499 € (online store Foto Mundus)... I got my copy in March 2019 for 800! €. Back then it was priced like this:

suggested retail price: 1.199 €
- kit lenses discount: - 200 €
- 10% sales discount: - 100 €
- Canon cashback: - 100 € (or was it 80 €?)

So, for the suggested retails has not only gone up by 25%, but the actual saving possibilities have disappeared:
- no Cashback, no sales discount on RF lenses (or high-tech electronics...) and as far as I've researched no kit lenses discounts for L glass.

So, getting the RF 24-105mm F4 L as a beginner (or new to the R system) now, would be/ is 58% more expensive than the deal I got. This is absolutely insane...

I wonder if the prices for used gear will follow suit. Maybe I should price my 600mm F11 for 800 €

Upvote 0