Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400mm f

Re: Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400

Just ordered it through the Canon direct store as it has free overnight shipping and 100$ off: The order says 2099$ instead of 2199$ but it is still processing. Already 100$ off for a lens that is not yet on the market would be great if they honor it :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Re: Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400

nostrovia said:
The official Canon USA store states that the anticipated ship date is December 29, 2014. Any chance that it actually gets shipped in time for Christmas?

I don't believe the actual release date has been published. Canon said shipping in December and put the last day in December as a estimated date.

I have heard that December 15 is the expected release date in a couple of places, that seems reasonable. If that's true, we should know in another 7-10 days.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA

mr_hyde said:
Just ordered it through the Canon direct store as it has free overnight shipping and 100$ off: The order says 2099$ instead of 2199$ but it is still processing. Already 100$ off for a lens that is not yet on the market would be great if they honor it :)

It appears the $100 off applies to anything over $1000 at the Canon store through Nov 30. That doesn't quite cover the sales tax on this lens for most people versus other online retailers that don't charge the sales tax.

Upvote 0

dcm said:
It appears the $100 off applies to anything over $1000 at the Canon store through Nov 30. That doesn't quite cover the sales tax on this lens for most people versus other online retailers that don't charge the sales tax.

ok, I always keep forgetting this as I do live in Oregon w/o sales tax

Upvote 0

Joey

EOS 7D mkII
Nov 7, 2014
Westcountry, UK

nlrela said:
Is there any new information considering shipping dates (preferably in Europe)?

Hope to be able to take it with me on my trip to the US at December 22nd ....
Why not buy it in the US while you're over there? Save yourself a shedload of money...

Upvote 0

Joey said:
Why not buy it in the US while you're over there? Save yourself a shedload of money...

That I am doubting, as I can get a 20% discount via my employer :)

Further on life is quite expensive in Switzerland, but the prices for photo / computer gear can be really competitive.
For most stuff US prices are not (much) lower as Swiss prices especially when shipping costs have to be added.

Until the lens will be available the price might be higher as in the US, but checking en.toppreise.ch (website with indication of lowest prices in CH) once in a while might display attractive offers for other stuff as well.

In the past I have checked photo gear in New York City and Washington DC but prices for lenses where higher than a days (due to exchange rates this can change of course)

Upvote 0

nlrela said:

I saw an estimated availability date of December 15 for my order on B&H, but I think that only applies to those already in the queue, not necessarily for an order placed today.

Upvote 0

Joey

EOS 7D mkII
Nov 7, 2014
Westcountry, UK

nlrela said:
Joey said:

That I am doubting, as I can get a 20% discount via my employer :)
You have an advantage over me, then. Here in the UK the price for the new lens has been set at £1666+VAT which is over $2600+tax, while the price in the USA has been set at $2199+tax. Another example of rip-off Britain?

Upvote 0

I saw it here in Aust advertised through Ted's Camera Stores for $2,499
I was waiting on some cash to come through to place the pre order, when it did I went straight online and it was there for $2799, I had seen it on a few other sites for around the $2,700 mark here Aust $
I called them saying I saw it yesterday for $2,499 .. what's going it's now listed as $2,799 ...
They said oh sorry mistake it's now $2,599 .. I refreshed browser and they had changed it while I was on the phone ...
So I placed the order, paying $100 more.. I'm OK with that price.
They just have "first shipment due mid December"
Also to confuse and frustrate me in the mean time ... I got a delivery of a 100-400 I on Friday ... opening the box reading 100-400 ... thinking I must be the first in the world to get one ... WOW .. then reading further ... looking for the MKII numbers at the end of the 100-400 .. was not there ...
Ha .. it's gone back aleady ... I'm wondering how many others got sent a version 1 also ...

Upvote 0

tculotta said:
nlrela said:

I saw an estimated availability date of December 15 for my order on B&H, but I think that only applies to those already in the queue, not necessarily for an order placed today.

December 15 would be perfect for shipment, just before the holidays! :D

Upvote 0

nlrela said:

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I pre-ordered the day it was announced in the Netherlands, and expected delivery is the 29th.

Upvote 0