Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400mm f

Re: Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400

Two things:

the MTF looks outstanding to me, my decision is between this and the new 400 DO, or at tele range f4-5.6-8 vs f5.6-8-11 with extenders.

Second since only 3% of US workers make minimum wage, use of median wage of $16.47 would be more appropriate if if if anyone set their prices based on such things which I doubt canon or anyone else does.

Maybe all photographers make minimum wage so that justifies it's use :)

or not.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Re: Canon USA Introduces New Super-Telephoto Zoom Lens, The Compact & Highly Mobile Canon EF 100-400

privatebydesign said:
The other thing to consider with pricing, as I pointed out in another thread recently, is income and what you get for your tax deductions.

In the USA minimum wage for many states is $7.25, in the UK minimum wage for over 21's is $10, for that $10 the UK worker has their health insurance paid from which the UK worker pays tax and National Insurance to cover health insurance, the USA worker doesn't, and the cost of that varies greatly but I pay $300 a month and get a very good deal.
Ftfy.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

lintoni said:
privatebydesign said:
The other thing to consider with pricing, as I pointed out in another thread recently, is income and what you get for your tax deductions.

In the USA minimum wage for many states is $7.25, in the UK minimum wage for over 21's is $10, for that $10 the UK worker has their health insurance paid from which the UK worker pays tax and National Insurance to cover health insurance, the USA worker doesn't, and the cost of that varies greatly but I pay $300 a month and get a very good deal.
Ftfy.

Don't be naive, from that $7.25 the USA worker also has tax deducted, and they still don't get health coverage.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012

privatebydesign said:
lintoni said:
privatebydesign said:

Ftfy.

Don't be naive, from that $7.25 the USA worker also has tax deducted, and they still don't get health coverage.
No. Your post implied that they earn minimum wage and get free health insurance, which is blatantly untrue - they pay for it.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro

neosec said:
AvTvM said:
Maximilian said:
Hey, Canon! What kind of exchange rate is that??? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Or did I get something wrong and the $2199,- are ex. VAT? ???

Yes. US price includes no VAT/sales taxes.

Nevertheless, if we take USD 2199 * 1,19 [19% VAT in Germany] * 0.77820 [USD -> € @ 3% interbank rate www.oanda.com] we would be at € 2.036,40 rather than at 2.499,- :eek:

Don't forget to take into account that most U.S. workers make less per hour than folks in other countries. Minimum wage in the U.S. is only $7.25 per hour.

Edit: Just did a quick Google search and see that "Last week, the lower house of Parliament in Germany voted to set a nationwide minimum wage of 8.50 euros an hour, about $11.60 (USD), effective in 2015. The upper house is expected to approve the measure this week."
That's a 60% increase over the minimum wage in the U.S. Not that everyone makes minimum wage of course.

Don't forget that Germany also has 400€ jobs. Yes I know, they get some supplemental money to get around, but they will not have 8.50€ in that case according my figures.
On the other hand, there are a lot of people in US who earn much more then in Europe. My profession is in the IT consulting area. In Europe I can easily charge between 85 to 100€/hour. In US the same jobs are done for minimum 150 till 220$/hour.

CPS in Europe is free. I thought that in US a yearly fee should be payed.

So a visit to US is always a good opportunity for a European inhabitant to look for gear.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

lintoni said:
privatebydesign said:
lintoni said:
privatebydesign said:

Ftfy.

No. Your post implied that they earn minimum wage and get free health insurance, which is blatantly untrue - they pay for it.

That certainly wasn't what I meant, and I didn't mean to imply it either. I am English though live in the USA, and I paid PAYE and NI for years so I well understand how it works.

My point was, even after deductions the average USA earner still has a lot more out of pocket stuff to deal with.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

AvTvM said:
minimum wage earners won't be prime target group for USD 2000 or Euro 2500 lenses ... anywhere.

The numbers don't apply purely to minimum wage earners, people that earn more spend more to get the same coverage. My actual health insurance bill each month is over $800, but with tax breaks etc I pay less, if I earned more I'd have to pay it all. And that isn't for a high end policy.

Besides, I know a couple of fast food workers that are very keen photographers and both have 70-200 f2.8's.

Upvote 0

No question this is a great lens and Canon will sell tons. I think I will need one next year when I get the money.

I also like the lens hood. The door for adjusting polarizer is great, but so is the "normal" shape of the hood. I am not a fan of the tulip shaped hoods, especially the elongated ones for my 70-200 (and yes I know what the purpose of that design is).

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012

privatebydesign said:
lintoni said:
privatebydesign said:
lintoni said:
privatebydesign said:

Ftfy.

That certainly wasn't what I meant, and I didn't mean to imply it either. I am English though live in the USA, and I paid PAYE and NI for years so I well understand how it works.

My point was, even after deductions the average USA earner still has a lot more out of pocket stuff to deal with.
Which is possibly a fair point. But as we're now talking average earners, the median household income* in the US is approx 50% higher than that in the UK. And I would guess that it's people earning that median household income*(in both countries) who are more likely to be buying this lens, than those on minimum wage, which makes your whole argument about taking minimum wage earnings into consideration re the pricing of this lens in the US and Europe ridiculous.

* Edited, I'd put wage instead of household income.

Upvote 0

Maximilian said:
So IMHO the higher price in Europe/Germany tells me Canon is thinking we're dumb enough to pay it.

And it works great as seen with the 6d:

In the US it's available for hilariously low prices, combined with kits and whatnot and makes it a reasonably priced camera for what it is (or not). In Germany, the 6d obviously is considered as the 5d2 successor in spirit, marketed as such and goes even *up* in price since I bough it. German photgos seem to be ready to shell out a lot of €€€ to enter Canon's exclusive full frame club.

Upvote 0

I think we can all agree that the lens is expensive no matter what currency or country you're in! But it looks like it would be worth the money! As someone who has no business buying this lens; I might buy this lens! Tempted!

Roughly though, would you say it's about a month's salary for the average joe photographer? (one that isn't working at Burger King!). It's almost exactly that for me. That is my own gauge for expensive! If it were $300 cheaper it wouldn't really make much of a differnce, relatively. Still almost a month of hard earned!

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx

Brian at TDP has a nice MTF comparison.

The takeaway message for me is still...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-400mm-f-4.0-DO-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx

The 400f4 DO IS 2 is going to be freaking amazing.

Upvote 0

Maximilian said:
neosec said:
Don't forget to take into account that most U.S. workers make less per hour than folks in other countries. Minimum wage in the U.S. is only $7.25 per hour.

Edit: Just did a quick Google search and see that "Last week, the lower house of Parliament in Germany voted to set a nationwide minimum wage of 8.50 euros an hour, about $11.60 (USD), effective in 2015. The upper house is expected to approve the measure this week."
That's a 60% increase over the minimum wage in the U.S. Not that everyone makes minimum wage of course.
First:
A product has a value (production+logistics+r&d+ etc.) that is (edit:) almost independent to the market you sell it.
Sales strategy is something different.
Second:
Please also goole up not only the gross but also the net income after all taxes, social insurance and also the costs for rent, living, etc.
(I'm not willing to do so. It's your argumentation.)

So your comparison isn't one. I can find no argument.

+1, and furthermore, in Bulgaria, which is also in the European Union, the minimum wage is about USD 215 per month, the average one is about USD 400 per month. I don't see the prices being 10 times cheaper than US, on the contrary, they are the same as in all Europe

Best

Upvote 0

plam_1980 said:
Maximilian said:
neosec said:

First:
A product has a value (production+logistics+r&d+ etc.) that is (edit:) almost independent to the market you sell it.
Sales strategy is something different.
Second:
Please also goole up not only the gross but also the net income after all taxes, social insurance and also the costs for rent, living, etc.
(I'm not willing to do so. It's your argumentation.)

So your comparison isn't one. I can find no argument.

+1, and furthermore, in Bulgaria, which is also in the European Union, the minimum wage is about USD 215 per month, the average one is about USD 400 per month. I don't see the prices being 10 times cheaper than US, on the contrary, they are the same as in all Europe

Best

Same here in Jordan, in fact we have around 40% taxes so a $2200 lens will cost $3080.

Upvote 0