Canon USA lays off 60 employees from the camera division

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
And the real reason for SLRs still being in demand is: film as a media.
Film and digital will coexist for many years to come.
MILC vs DSLR is a completely different story though.
In my opinion , this increasingly becoming an OVF vs EVF challenge.

Yep, and FILM is experiencing a bit of resurgence.

I myself am having fun shooting on medium format (120) cameras, I have a Yeshiva TLR and a Hasselblad V System camera and they are a blast!!

I just need to now learn to develop my own B&W film to really make it fun.

The square format, shooting in that is a nice fun new challenge, the composition for that format is quite different than the rectangular one we are all used to these days.

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
When I was in 7th grade, maybe 2 or 3 kids had cameras on a class trip. Nowadays, every 7th grader carries a camera 24/7.

Boy...I"m GLAD that wasn't the case when "I" grew up....waaay too much evidence to be held against me as an adult.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the youth of today, they are monitored 24/7 by parents, schools, etc....and cameras are everywhere.

I guess if I were raised today, my parents would have been put in jail for neglect as that I was able to run "wild" all over my neighborhood unsupervised on my bike and skateboard all day....only needing to come home at night for dinner during summers....

and my antics back then likely would have had me on several watch lists today....but it was called "just being a boy" back then.

*sigh*

c

Upvote 0
Boy...I"m GLAD that wasn't the case when "I" grew up....waaay too much evidence to be held against me as an adult.

I actually feel a bit sorry for the youth of today, they are monitored 24/7 by parents, schools, etc....and cameras are everywhere.

There are plenty of adults hurt by the 2014 iCloud leak. Plenty of young adults who haven't realized they don't have as much privacy as their parents had at the same age.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I am talking about R&D and not production. Production will continue at a volume that the market can bare.

I find it amusing people hold on to hope that Canon will some day in the future restart R&D for EF lenses.

It ain't gonna happen.

Still camera market has been in decline for over a decade and whatever little money they have to invest is best spent on a growing market segment rather than a shrinking one.

I could imagine people having this sort of discussion when the EF mount was announced in the early 80s. A lot of people in denial...

"Autofocus is not reliable!" etc etc.

Resources will prioritize RF mount products.

It was in 1987. That's not exactly "early '80s"

The difference between then and now was that FD could not be adapted to EF without what is essentially a teleconverter and loss of IQ and max aperture. Not to mention that FD had no AF and EF does.

EF, on the other hand, can be seamlessly used on RF cameras with no loss in IQ or max aperture or AF functionality. Zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0