Canon USA officially announces the Canon Cinema EOS C70

Jan 29, 2011
A sincere question to all the experts here: How does this better R5 in video specs? (Except for the overheating issue). Thank you for any and all insights.
No 29:59 time limit! Real (mini) XLR outputs, built in ND filters, waveforms, false colors, zebras and peaking. Higher DR. 4.2.0 files that are much easier to edit. Video record to both cards in whatever format you like, mirrored, proxies etc etc.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
No 29:59 time limit! Real (mini) XLR outputs, built in ND filters, waveforms, false colors, zebras and peaking. Higher DR. 4.2.0 files that are much easier to edit. Video record to both cards in whatever format you like, mirrored, proxies etc etc.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If a movie camera can have 16+ stops of dynamic range, why can't a still camera? OTOH, I haven't seen much these days in the info about the R5 / R6 as to what their dynamic range is. What's with that?
They do, the way they measure them is different.

Video cameras are measure on an oscilloscope and the range is detectable signal irrespective of noise to full well capacity, in stills there is always a noise floor so the bottom gets cut off. For stills It is irrelevant if there is signal below the noise floor as you can’t see it, in video it is possible to see detail below the noise floor because of the nature of looking at so many frames a second.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
They do, the way they measure them is different.

Video cameras are measure on an oscilloscope and the range is detectable signal irrespective of noise to full well capacity, in stills there is always a noise floor so the bottom gets cut off. For stills It is irrelevant if there is signal below the noise floor as you can’t see it, in video it is possible to see detail below the noise floor because of the nature of looking at so many frames a second.
Nonetheless, this also is a different type of sensor than what Canon has put in stills so far. DGO appears to have an actual hardware component that allows applying different gains simultaneously.

We may see an improvement in stills DR if they put it into a stills body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If a movie camera can have 16+ stops of dynamic range, why can't a still camera? OTOH, I haven't seen much these days in the info about the R5 / R6 as to what their dynamic range is. What's with that?

There has been a large improvement in DR with the R5 sensor. Here is a graph that compares the R to the R5.

R5 DR.JPG

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
and they added a vertical filming function... wasnt the rule: dont film vertical?

Yes, before mobile phones and TikTok. The new Manfrotto Gimbal (which would match this camera nicely) has " Different modes: TikTok Portrait, Selfie, Inception, Time-lapse "... that's what people expect today....

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Nonetheless, this also is a different type of sensor than what Canon has put in stills so far. DGO appears to have an actual hardware component that allows applying different gains simultaneously.

Although Canon like to say they are different technologies the truth is the end result is very similar to the dual RAW possibilities with dual pixel for stills, though dual gain is more advanced. If more programs could deal with dual pixel double RAW images you’d see a 1 stop improvement in DR in many situations particularly if it was given a bit of refinement.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

Except that for now, it is only possible with 8.85MP as it heavily compromises sensor readout speed (it is twice as fast without DGO).
Maybe in the future they will be able to do it with 20+ MP without a horrendous amount of rolling shutter, but it will make the R5 look cheap in comparison, as you can see, even a 4K DGO sensor is not that cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Wow, am I jealous of how easy that fits on the Crane 3 Lab. Time code, dual phantom power mini XLR, built in ND. This is a very interesting camera and props to Canon for thinking out side the box. I am not sure why they would bring over the R5 autofocus but leave out the IAF. That is just stupid. My other issue is the lack of RAW but other than that this is a very interesting Camera and I can see Canon selling a lot of these. This will put pressure on both BMD as the price of this is ~ the cost of a fully rigged BMPCC 6K. It will also put preasure on the RED Komodo.

Upvote 0

Yes! Exactly, that's the future. And the main reason I'm interested how this sensor compares against a normal sendor

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
L

Funny this is most of these are software limitations Including Clog 2/3. Swap out the flash sync for XLR. There’s no replacing the ease of use in built in ND filters. But this is my biggest issue with the R5/6, it’s possible with the given hardware for many of these features to be in the cameras. I’d gladly play extra. Panasonic and Sony both seem to not hold back on the features.

Upvote 0