Canon USA officially announces the Canon Cinema EOS C70

Nice. Interesting that Canon didn’t try for 8k with this considering everything that’s happened with the R5. This body seems as though it could handle it. Pricing is good, a lot of estimates were $6,000, up to $700.
Recycling the excellent DGO sensor is the most important bit in this announcement. Everything else revolves around it and it is a known quality sensor/image. Big difference between a 9mp super35 sensor and a 45mp 3:2 ratio sensor.

Upvote 0
That is what Canon is offering for the money, buy it or don’t buy it, Canon don’t care. People that say ‘it’s only software’ don’t run successful corporations.

This is an entirely different thing than a stills focused FF camera, why is that so hard for people to comprehend?
Yes and no. Canon has been a very traditional company up to the R5 when they let their engineers fly (maybe too close to the sun if you get my drift!) :)
There are big dynamics/disruptions happening in the tech world now.
We have Tesla shaking things up by offering paid SW updates to unlock performance and other features which aren't being offered by traditional car companies (yet)
We have monthly subscriptions for unlimited video/audio streaming (Netflix/Spotify etc) vs pay-per-view (or VHS/DVD timed rental)
We have SW subscription usage with updates included (Adobe LR/PS etc) vs traditional SW perpetual licences
We have Apple giving away updated operating systems for devices from phones to PCs based on selling hardware vs Microsoft paid upgrades as they have no hardware revenue
We have Amazon giving away video content for "free" bundled with Prime subscriptions
We have SW defined networks where network SW layers (proxy/firewall/WAN acceleration etc) can be installed/removed remotely on generic installed-once HW boxes and paid on a monthly subscription basis rather than discrete boxes from different vendors each requiring a manual install visit.

SW/content has a cost for sure. The "economics" for how to deliver or bundle it is a different story

I wouldn't rule out Canon doing something like paid SW features in the future but I agree that other camera companies may be first.
Canon did add clog as a paid option on the first batch of 5Div before they bundled it (at a higher cost) for future deliveries.

Getting free firmware updates on the R5 adding extra features is pure gravy for me :)

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
No internal RAW makes it DOA for any work I would use it for, which is unfortunate because I was hoping for a small form factor Bcam to go with my c200.
If it's strictly a "B" cam why would anyone absolutely have to have intermal RAW. With 16 stops of dynamic range and you are already using C200.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
That is what Canon is offering for the money, buy it or don’t buy it, Canon don’t care. People that say ‘it’s only software’ don’t run successful corporations.

This is an entirely different thing than a stills focused FF camera, why is that so hard for people to comprehend?

Goodness. Stop living in the past. There really are no new “Dedicated” Photography cameras. I know it’s cool to rag on video guys because you don’t shoot video.

Every major DSLR/mirrorless is a hybrid camera if it wants to sell. From here on out people are going to buy “photography” cameras and shoot video on it. It is expected so. Canon knows this and intentionally marketed it that way.

Sensors , I/O , Heat management are the real separation points. Camera sales are going down because the line between cell phone HDR photos and mirrorless are so similar. It’s not a Canon vs Sony or any other brand, it’s the computational photography and auto HDR in an iPhone. It’s the weirdest thing seeing the photography crowd get upset by artists wanting more out of the tools when the video users make the cameras worth making as the camera companies.

It’s art and implement is only as creative as the users vision. Freedom to test the limits of your tool is a piece of the process. The best camera is the camera you have. Why nerf it.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
DGO sensor, built in NDs, anamorphic desqueeze, video centric tools, timecode input, full sized HDMI port... too much to list honestly. But if you cannot see the benefit good news... you can save about $2k by going with the R5.

Personally I had the R5 and returned it. Too limiting for my use case. This is the perfect dedicated cinema camera for me. Low key but packed with serious features. That said I’m also loving my Sony A7S3. Shooting with picture profile off and loving the image.

Really ? How is the comparison of the SOC of it and the R5 , limits withstanding?

Take any pictures ? Thoughts on them vs R5?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
But why not? If they use RF mount and accepting rF glasses then the contact would be compatible from EF to RF as well. They just need to update their firmware.
Just look at the CVP video I linked earlier, it will not physically fit. You can use the slightly cheaper Metabones adapter with those if you want to.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Yep, all because most people are too stupid to think maybe they should turn the phone sideways to do pictures and video.

If you can't expand outside some set of uncodified 'rules' then perhaps it's you who isn't thinking...

Human bodies are vertically-orientated. If you're making a video of a person doing something individually then portrait orientation makes sense.

Why do you think photographers have been using portrait orientation for 150 years...?

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Really ? How is the comparison of the SOC of it and the R5 , limits withstanding?

Take any pictures ? Thoughts on them vs R5?
The R5 is a fantastic stills camera. Probably the best I’ve owned. That said the images SOOC from the Sony look great. Colors are better than I remember from my A7R2. Honestly it’s a pretty dam good stills camera. The egos are far better in the Canon. I just ordered the handgrip for the Sony. I hate how my hand falls off the bottom of the camera. Video wise, I just did a quick test with picture profile off, and slapped on FilmConvert. I think the image looked good. Not quite Canon good, where colors pop with ease. But pretty good. Where the Sony shines is low light. I set it to auto ISO with a max limit of 12800. The shot without fear of mushiness. It’s a great camera for when you want a shot at night or indoors where lighting is less than ideal. I’ve never been so confident when shooting in less than ideal light as I am with the the A7S3. To me that alone is worth the price off admission. But I am very pumped for the Canon. It looks to be exactly what we’ve all been hoping for... a baby C300 Mk3... much stealthier than the original but just as capable image wise.

A7S3 first impressions:

Upvote 0
not in my area of interest, but eye opening to see videographers comments here. Areas I wouldn't have been aware of and re-enforces my thoughts that some people had odd expectations on the R5

Amen. It's an unfortunate result of the DSLRevolution. To borrow a quote, "[they] were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." That is, force a camera designed for stills into a production environment and expect it to act like a Cinema camera.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
f you're making a video of a person doing something individually then portrait orientation makes sense.

Apart the silly dances on TikTok, people doing something usually interact with the environment and the relationship with it matters, making the vertical orientation usually useless, as it won't show what's happening. And when someone only talks, you don't really need to look at their feet. But in a world obsessed with self-representation while excluding everything else, yes, they have a place.

Upvote 0