Canon USA officially responds to concerns about shipping delays of the Canon EOS R5

PUG

F1N 80D R5
Mar 9, 2020
I realize your post is from yesterday but in case you are still having problems, press the info button on the right of the screen. You’ll need to press it 4 times, as each time you press it, it offers a different screen.

Thank you, I assigned the M-Fn button to turn it on and off. I love this cam!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Canon should build a "Video Grip" with an integrated video recorder. I highly doubt that HDMI data is available through the grip's pinout array, but it can still be done with a cable.
Strikes me as a rather excellent idea, maybe put some heat transfer in there too.

Incidentally would they also be able to add the extra cost of unlocking the 30 min tax rule onto the grip? That would be like three birds with one stone!

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
People think "recall" = "I return the camera and get money back" or "I get a new camera". While it may be the case, it's a very unlikely scenario. If (and only if) the recall happens, they'll take your camera and install something like an upgraded heatsink (or whatever they do internally), and you get your trashed and dented camera back exactly like it was, only with a new heatsink inside.

relax mate, don't ppl understand sarcasm anymore nowadays?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What a careless update to a disastrous camera launch. Feeling like Canon doesn’t care about their customer base. They marketed this wrong and should own up. Feeling like it’s time to stop waiting for the magic camera hybrid body everyone has been holding out for that’s kept me invested in canon. Stockholders and the corporate board should REALLY be worried at how this portrays Canon.
Haven't you thought that the launch may have been intentionally made controversial, to force your kind of folk to do unpaid PR job for Canon?

I mean, now everyone on the Internet, even those who have never been into photography, knows that Canon EOS R5 is hot.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
R5 owners: does anyone know how to turn the live view off? The best I figured out was to turn off touchscreen and also enable ECO mode. This will ensure the live view isn't hunting af/draining battery and turns off within 10 secs of taking a pic. I much rather have a dedicated custom manual on/off button though. I'll look into the manual again but if anyone knows a shortcut, I'd appreciate the tip.

**Also there is an option to just use the viewfinder, however if I want to review an image, I have to look into the viewfinder and operate the menu from there, not ideal but I guess if this is the solution, so be it, just a different change coming from a DSLR. The live view does drain the battery quite a bit.

This has been a huge pet peeve of mine with many cameras and many brands.
I have not found a way yet, but I have not spent a lot of time either,
yesterday I was on an assignment for the newspaper and I did not want my screen on, so I cut a small piece of photo gaffer tape that leaves no gum marks behind and taped it over the eye sensor, when I want the screen on, I remove the tape and stick on the bottom of the camera.

Not great, but when you want some privacy (lots of people come and try to look at the screen to see what you are shooting)
it at least works.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I wonder how many of the canon "fans" who complain all the time about the technical stuff and specifications have actually made their living by taking photos.
Real life is different! Photography is not about specifications.
The internet forums may be fun sometimes, but usually they're full of bitter people who like to complain.

Nicolas

www.nicolaszonvi.com

I shot two assignments with the 5 yesterday, on a single battery I got 1000 stills and about 17 minutes of video, only at 1920, but that is more than what I need anyway.

So the specs worked out just fine in my world.

I just wish Adobe would get off their asses and get us a raw plugin update.

DNG converter sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I shot two assignments with the 5 yesterday, on a single battery I got 1000 stills and about 17 minutes of video, only at 1920, but that is more than what I need anyway.

So the specs worked out just fine in my world.

I just wish Adobe would get off their asses and get us a raw plugin update.

DNG converter sucks.
That's quite good battery life. Better than I was expecting..

Upvote 0
I have one in my hands

Still quality is great
Video is super sharp in 8k and 4k.
Record limit is a bit annoying as the cooldown period is fairly long
Auto focus is a massive step up from the R
Normal 4k 24p is still very nice
I do miss higher frame rate 1080p
Still shooting is an absolute pleasure with the 12fps. I keep it in low continuous, and it's so snappy to respond to the shutter button, Something I never found to be true with the R
Battery life seems fairly good - better than their reported shots per charge anyway.

I do feel like a trick was missed with the overheating tho, I'd gladly have the camera be bigger to reduce the problem. That being said, still image quality is superb.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I have one in my hands

Still quality is great
Video is super sharp in 8k and 4k.
Record limit is a bit annoying as the cooldown period is fairly long
Auto focus is a massive step up from the R
Normal 4k 24p is still very nice
I do miss higher frame rate 1080p
Still shooting is an absolute pleasure with the 12fps. I keep it in low continuous, and it's so snappy to respond to the shutter button, Something I never found to be true with the R
Battery life seems fairly good - better than their reported shots per charge anyway.

I do feel like a trick was missed with the overheating tho, I'd gladly have the camera be bigger to reduce the problem. That being said, still image quality is superb.
Thanks for the mini review, good news about the battery life.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2020
I went into my local camera store today here in Denmark and asked whether they had received the R5. He told me that they haven't seen any cameras yet and that they were originally promised for mid-June. He suspects that it might be a few months before they see the R5 and R6. According to him, nobody in Scandinavia has received cameras yet at all.

I told him about the overheat issues and the recall rumors, but he hadn't heard anything about that, even though he was on the phone with Canon yesterday.

The fact that none of the Scandinavian countries have received any cameras is a bit strange, but when I look at the major online camera stores here in Denmark, it looks like none of them have the R5 in stock.

What is even more weird is that a few weeks ago I was on the phone with a Canon supporter from Sweden (unrelated to the R5/R6) and he told me that the R5 was very popular and a lot of retailers had shown interest in the cameras.

Upvote 0