Canon USA restocks inventory of RF mount refurbished lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I've never bought anything refurbished. Are they reliable? Do they come with warranty as the non-refurbished version?
If you can get them to ship... they should be as good as new. I don't think the warranty is the same... but not sure. My personal experience is I ordered a 28-70 and a 24-105 in November of last year (2020). I'm still waiting for them to ship. In my last conversation with them they said the order had been sent to a warehouse that was likely not to get any stock. And instead of fixing the order; they suggested I cancel the order and put in a new order. Of course my order was put in when both lenses had a considerable sale on them. I personally don't intend to order from Canon's website again. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I've never bought anything refurbished. Are they reliable? Do they come with warranty as the non-refurbished version?
The warranty is identical. I have never heard anyone complain about the gear. Canon's inventory control online is the only critique I hear about.,

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I bought the RF 50mm f1.2 the last time there was a post here about new refurbished lenses in stock. I got it in two days. (I paid for faster shipping) I also got a two years accident damage coverage for about $179 I think it was. I believe the warranty is the same as new but don’t quote me. I called the customer service and asked a lot of questions. They told me all their engineers buy refurbished because they all refurbished lenses and cameras have to go through a thorough quality control inspection and when you buy a new item they are only checked randomly from the assembly line and you may get faulty item.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I have bought several including both EF and RF version of 70-200 f2.8 IS (Mark II EF, and recent RF). They were basically brand new, with no signs of use and no issues what so ever. I was one of the lucky ones who got the RF 70-200 Refurb from Canon when it was discounted to $2024 only back in Dec 2020 or Jan 2021 (I think).

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Outside of my R5, I think almost every piece of gear I've bought in the last ten years was from the refurbished site. Never had a problem with bodies or lenses.
Now if I could just get that refurbished 28-70 2.0 I ordered in December to ship...

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
If you can get them to ship... they should be as good as new. I don't think the warranty is the same... but not sure. My personal experience is I ordered a 28-70 and a 24-105 in November of last year (2020). I'm still waiting for them to ship. In my last conversation with them they said the order had been sent to a warehouse that was likely not to get any stock. And instead of fixing the order; they suggested I cancel the order and put in a new order. Of course my order was put in when both lenses had a considerable sale on them. I personally don't intend to order from Canon's website again. Your mileage may vary.
Damn, I wonder how many people are ahead of me in the queue for the refurbed 28-70. I was hemming and hawing for months. If I'd known how long it would take I would've ordered way before December.
And yeah, wanted to change my credit card on the purchase, and after an hour wait on the phone they told me I'd have to cancel the order and reorder, which I would not do since it was like $400 cheaper than usual refurb. I did buy the 24-240 refurbed recently, and I got that in like three days and its turned out to be a pretty nifty walkaround lens. The 28-70 is the first time I've had any problems with the refurb site. I don't know why they list them in stock if they're... not.

Upvote 0
Outside of my R5, I think almost every piece of gear I've bought in the last ten years was from the refurbished site. Never had a problem with bodies or lenses.
Now if I could just get that refurbished 28-70 2.0 I ordered in December to ship...
I keep looking for the RF 85mm f1.2 refurbished but it never is available when they announce a batch of refurbs.

Upvote 0