Canon will announce the RF 16mm f/2.8 and RF 100-400mm next

Folks, I pre-ordered the RF 16mm f/2.8 when I stumbled onto the Amazon listing (now gone). Here's a screenshot of the order which gives a glimpse of the lens. The only information on the page, which I've already shared, dimensions, weight, and focusing distance. It did not contain the full specs that you'd typically find with a lens.

Attachments

• 2021-09-07 - Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon_Redacted.jpg
    2021-09-07 - Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon_Redacted.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
And here's a larger screen grab from the "order details" page with a clearer picture of the lens and the $299.99 price. I saw nothing about this being a macro lens. Perhaps someone inferred that from the the close focusing distance. Again, details were scare.

Attachments

• 2021-09-07 - Larger.Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon.jpg
    2021-09-07 - Larger.Canon RF 16mm f2.8.Amazon.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
Attached is a side by side with the Amazon picture of the RF16 next to the RF50 both scaled to the same size based on the mount ring diameter. They look similar but the lens is smaller in diameter on the RF16 and the bottom of the lens protrudes where it does not on the RF50f1.8.

Attachments

• RF16mm first picture vs 50mm.jpg
    RF16mm first picture vs 50mm.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I think the RP let’s me set one of the dials to ISO for other modes but not manual (in case a lens without control ring isn’t used?) but I’ll take another look. If the R allows I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow it on the RP also, but Canon sometimes does things like that.

This is easily my biggest gripe with the RP. I shot with the Ra (astro version of the R) for several years and always set the control ring to aperture since I could use the other two camera dials for ISO and shutter. On the RP for some reason Canon restricted the camera dials to only allow aperture and shutter, not ISO. This is really annoying and probably the reason I'm going to switch to the R6 soon.

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
This is easily my biggest gripe with the RP. I shot with the Ra (astro version of the R) for several years and always set the control ring to aperture since I could use the other two camera dials for ISO and shutter. On the RP for some reason Canon restricted the camera dials to only allow aperture and shutter, not ISO. This is really annoying and probably the reason I'm going to switch to the R6 soon.
Interesting to know that the Ra and R6 allow this but the RP does not. Very annoying when Canon unnecessarily removes functionality in software in less expensive cameras. This may speed up my upgrading from the RP.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Interesting to know that the Ra and R6 allow this but the RP does not. Very annoying when Canon unnecessarily removes functionality in software in less expensive cameras.
That's not what happened. The Ra and the R6 both came out after the RP. It's common for Canon to add functionality to newer cameras that they don't go back and add to older cameras. For example, your EOS RP has focus bracketing. The EOS R does not, even though it is a more expensive camera it came out before the feature was introduced. The Ra (as stated, a newer camera than the RP) has focus bracketing, too, as do the even more recent R5, R6 and R3.

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
That's not what happened. The Ra and the R6 both came out after the RP. It's common for Canon to add functionality to newer cameras that they don't go back and add to older cameras. For example, your EOS RP has focus bracketing. The EOS R does not, even though it is a more expensive camera it came out before the feature was introduced. The Ra (as stated, a newer camera than the RP) has focus bracketing, too, as do the even more recent R5, R6 and R3.
I was assuming that if the Ra had it then the earlier R had it also (I thought the only differences between the two were the IR filter, magnification, and perhaps one other thing that I'm not remembering at the moment), but that may not have been the case.

Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020

This is not correct. While that point may be valid in general, that's not the case with this feature. As gruhl28 noted, the feature is present on the R which was the first camera released. This is a screengrab of the R's menu for the quick dial showing the ISO option, this is the option that is missing on the RP. The reality is that the RP, as the lowest end camera is simply forced to accept the blows of the Canon cripple hammer even when they fall in arbitrary and strange ways. Still, can't really fault Canon with this strategy if it works for them I guess. Multiple people in this thread have stated their intention to upgrade to an R6 knowing how unnecessarily crippled the RP is. When I got the RP, I wasn't expecting top of the line AF, or IBIS, or any of the other headline features Canon has now, but I didn't expect it to be so limited that I would be unable even to take a manual exposure in the same way that the R/Ra allows.

Attachments

• eosr.png
    eosr.png
    731.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Upvote 0