Canon Will Announce Their First Full Frame Mirrorless in 2018 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The announcement date guesses for Canon’s first full frame mirrorless camera have ranged between Photokina in September 2018 and some time in Q1 of 2019.</p>
<p>We’re now told that one of the full frame mirrorless cameras coming from Canon will be announced and on sale before the end of 2018. While the exact announcement date is unknown at this time. Logically, something should be happening for Photokina. Although, we’re a mere 10 weeks away from Photokina and specifications are still hard to come by, if more information doesn’t become clearer soon, we might only get a development announcement at the trade show.</p>
<p>We have noticed a spike in folks seeing cameras being tested in the wild that don’t match up to current Canon camera bodies, unfortunately we have yet to receive any pictures of suspected test cameras.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/industry-news-the-first-rumored-specifications-of-nikons-full-frame-mirrorless-cameras/">Nikon appears to be getting closer</a> to announcing their new system and I don’t expect Canon to be too far behind.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

BeenThere said:
Perhaps an accelerated schedule from Canon to prevent Nikon from skimming all the cream off the mirrorless market.

I don't think so - Canon clearly intends to tap into existing cache of EF lenses, and buyers who have those will have little interest in Nikon. In any case, my interest is purely platonic at this point, $3000 body is not in my plans, and neither is its $2000 challenged brother.

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
Hoping for EF mount, Dual sd slots with atleast one Uhs-2.

Interesting their options: if not EF Mount, then what? It seems that EF-M wasn’t really designed to be optimised for full frame sensor coverage (Sigma even mentioned that Sony FE-mount was tight) and a third mount would obfuscate matters further. Unless Canon has found some way to produce a variable-flange distance version of the EF mount.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
traveller said:
Chaitanya said:

Interesting their options: if not EF Mount, then what? It seems that EF-M wasn’t really designed to be optimised for full frame sensor coverage (Sigma even mentioned that Sony FE-mount was tight) and a third mount would obfuscate matters further. Unless Canon has found some way to produce a variable-flange distance version of the EF mount.

Canon, we may recall, has produced a a FF mirrorless camera that uses the EF mount -- the C 700 FF.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
brad-man said:
zim said:
Ooh... CR Guys even changed the default image....

It's coming home, it's coming home FF coming home! ;) ;D

Indeed. The Leica design team is out, the Powershot design team is in 8)

;D

Actually one of the bigger stories about these two releases might end up being the software, eos, powershot or an amalgamation ?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
zim said:
brad-man said:
zim said:
Ooh... CR Guys even changed the default image....

It's coming home, it's coming home FF coming home! ;) ;D

Indeed. The Leica design team is out, the Powershot design team is in 8)

;D

Actually one of the bigger stories about these two releases might end up being the software, eos, powershot or an amalgamation ?

EOS as it stands now would be a train wreck, they would have to go to some amalgamation between EOS and powershot.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2018
traveller said:

Hi there, long time lurker, now my first post..

Look at this: (camerasize.com)
http://j.mp/2KVOAcP

i don't know if Sony designed the E-mount as small as possible and still be able to handle FF intentionally, but obiously thats the case. According to wikipedia the FFDs and diameters of both mounts are 18mm, 46.5mm (EF-M) and 18mm, 46.1mm (E). And both mounts look more or less identical so i wonder if Canon would also be able to squeeze a FF sensor in there. A new "EF-X" (or whatever) mount would accept EF-M in crop mode and "EF-X" in FF. Plus of course EF\EF-S via adapter.

B.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Antono Refa said:
Chaitanya said:

Are there better than UHS-II cards / readers out there?
I hope its a professional model and stays away from SD cards. They all are really slow once they have been used and formatted, speeds go to a crawl. They are too small to use with gloves on in cold weather. I have one in the 2nd slot of my 5D MK IV, but because of their slow speed, it only gets used for small jpeg files.

Upvote 0
Canon seems to have some interesting potential with what is rumored, so no assumptions for myself as yet. There is also the option of CF express memory cards since they are not proprietary to Sony and Nikon. However yes dual uhs-2 would be useful but on the other hand it's the cameras system buss has to fully support it. CF express is in the same format as XQD and it's backward compatible to XQD if the software supports it.

Not certain what to make of either Canon of Nikon mirrorless and the lenses and lens compatability will probably be the deciding factor. I am looking at full frame but mid range 24mpx (D750 like) without all the silly filters and later on see what the higher end mpx models offer since these are all first gen models.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Antono Refa said:
Chaitanya said:

UHS-3 format and PCI-e based standards were just announced and currently UHS-II has been available to manufacturers since 2011. There are a lot good UHS-II SD card reader on market that can really deliver the advertised read speeds of SD cards while transferring to PC.
traveller said:
Chaitanya said:

One of the primary reasons why Canon Adopted EF mount ditching their FD mount was for the all electronic interface. Sony and Nikon(maybe Pentax as well in future) have dumped their SLR mounts due to mechanical reasons. Also current Sony FE lenses have a hollow tube towards the mount which is a bit odd since Sony fanboys like to sing to the tunes of smaller and lighter than DSLRs(which is not the case). Only real benefits for removing mirror box is for live exposure simulation and no more blackouts(still there are few due to mechanical shutter).

Upvote 0
Antono Refa said:
Chaitanya said:

Prograde (formerly Lexar) has developed a CF express card. Capacity currently of about 1tb (max). Faster than XQD and in the same format and size as an XQD card (same connector pins) and firmware permitting will take xqd cards. In some practical theory around 800MB/s in camera for the CF express. It's rated to 1400MB/s but even with Nikon XQD doesn't run at it's top speed in camera and only in a decent card reader do you see quicker rates. USB 3.1 will probably be the minimal requirement with this next gen if one expects the quickest results.

I don't feel comfortable with large capacity cards even with 3rd or 4th gen crystal. 256GB isn't so bad for most uses but the larger capacity higher speed i suspect is directed towards 4k videographers.

I suppose with the CF express (micro SSD) structure there will be more error correction available so less re-writes and wear on the flash ram. Since a few of us did adapt 2.5" SSD drives to our cameras bit flip to read as removable media it is viable all be it a bit cluttered and clumbsy.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I'm hoping for a camera the size of a 6D2, with EF mount and will allow you to use EF-S lenses as well (with vignetting when open wide), the almost obligatory LP-6 battery, an a UHS-2 SD slot....

I can see a higher end one coming out later sized like a 5D series, with dual card slots and a bit higher performance.....

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
grainier said:
BeenThere said:
Perhaps an accelerated schedule from Canon to prevent Nikon from skimming all the cream off the mirrorless market.

I don't think so - Canon clearly intends to tap into existing cache of EF lenses, and buyers who have those will have little interest in Nikon. In any case, my interest is purely platonic at this point, $3000 body is not in my plans, and neither is its $2000 challenged brother.

Canon seems to have always tried to match Nikon’s offerings. It has been said before on this forum that Canon seems to base their release dates on Nikon’s. As for whether this is still true or not in recent years, I’ll let others jump in.

One thing is for sure- if they pull out the stops and offer decent video specs (DPAF with 4K 24p and a useable codec, 120fps Full HD are bare minimum) and match 5DIV stills specs, they will sell a lot of cameras. Even more if they include latest video tech, like 4K 60p, HLG, log, etc.

Upvote 0