Canon Will Announce Their First Full Frame Mirrorless in 2018 [CR3]

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
zim said:
It's coming home, it's coming home FF coming home! ;) ;D

LOL - CR3 and in a few months - this is actually getting exciting, I can't wait to hear how the mount is going to move on from EF lenses so i can plan to have a quiet shutter with good low light glass.
I know Sony is making all the headlines at the moment but i just want Canon to come up with something special that really does the business.

The only other bit of news i want now is Canon medium format...?

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
traveller said:
Chaitanya said:
Hoping for EF mount, Dual sd slots with atleast one Uhs-2.

Interesting their options: if not EF Mount, then what? It seems that EF-M wasn’t really designed to be optimised for full frame sensor coverage (Sigma even mentioned that Sony FE-mount was tight) and a third mount would obfuscate matters further. Unless Canon has found some way to produce a variable-flange distance version of the EF mount.
One of the primary reasons why Canon Adopted EF mount ditching their FD mount was for the all electronic interface. Sony and Nikon(maybe Pentax as well in future) have dumped their SLR mounts due to mechanical reasons. Also current Sony FE lenses have a hollow tube towards the mount which is a bit odd since Sony fanboys like to sing to the tunes of smaller and lighter than DSLRs(which is not the case). Only real benefits for removing mirror box is for live exposure simulation and no more blackouts(still there are few due to mechanical shutter).
A bit of a sweeping statement there: there are a few FE lenses that are noticeably smaller than their DSLR equivalents, but the advantage does seem to be confined to wide angle optics, such as the FE 12-24 f/4 or the FE 16-35 f/4. Shortening the flange focus distance can also free up some lens designs that aren't possible for DSLRs, such as the Zeiss Sonnar design of the FE 55mm f/1.8. I also wonder whether the "hollow tube" is a side effect of full frame FE-mount being something of an after thought after the APS-C E-mount was designed. FE-mount is a bit tight in diameter terms, as well as having a short flange focal distance. Without specially designed micro-lenses, I could see how such design decisions lead to lenses that are bit long (for their focal length), in order to keep the light ray angle less steep. This is the reason why a lot of Leica wide angle glass adapts poorly to Sony FE-mount cameras (hue shifts at the edges of the frame etc.).

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Chaitanya said:
Antono Refa said:
Chaitanya said:
Hoping for EF mount, Dual sd slots with atleast one Uhs-2.

Are there better than UHS-II cards / readers out there?
UHS-3 format and PCI-e based standards were just announced and currently UHS-II has been available to manufacturers since 2011. There are a lot good UHS-II SD card reader on market that can really deliver the advertised read speeds of SD cards while transferring to PC.

Which is why I would be surprised if a camera coming out this year would have better than UHS-II slots.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Actually I am not interested in mirrorless at all for the time being. (execpt for small camera in "leica style and size). What I am interested in, is the furture of the EF-mount. I quess and hope, that the latest releases of 70-200 lenses is a signal to the EF-lens users, that the EF mount is here to stay.
I that is the case I should also mean, that at least the to-of-line FF mirrorless will accept EF lenses without and adaptor.
I do hope so.
(Canon users since the the FD mount - and I do not want to see a abandoned lens series once more....)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
rrcphoto said:
zim said:
Actually one of the bigger stories about these two releases might end up being the software, eos, powershot or an amalgamation ?

EOS as it stands now would be a train wreck, they would have to go to some amalgamation between EOS and powershot.

So what software was used for the 5D IV Liveview?

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Wow...lots of questions should be answered....EF (44 mm flange distance) vs EF-X (I assume something less than 44 mm). Type of EVF. Powershot vs EOS. Still FPS. 4k. Video fps. LCD (flippy or no flippy). Size. Weight.

Then, and I am probably most interested in this, other advances? How does the sensor do?

We'll see. T-minus and counting.....

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
BillB said:
rrcphoto said:
zim said:
Actually one of the bigger stories about these two releases might end up being the software, eos, powershot or an amalgamation ?

EOS as it stands now would be a train wreck, they would have to go to some amalgamation between EOS and powershot.

So what software was used for the 5D IV Liveview?

5d IV liveview doesn't have EVF , focus peaking, touch and drag AF, eye AF, 120hz refresh rates,etc,etc.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
MartinF. said:
I quess and hope, that the latest releases of 70-200 lenses is a signal to the EF-lens users, that the EF mount is here to stay.
I think, it’s quite the opposite. The fact that Canon didn’t bother to produce a newly designed 70-200/2.8 aside from some cosmetical changes, is a sign that they do not aim at current owners of the 70-200/2.8II IS wanting to upgrade. Because -perhaps- there will be a new EF-# 70-200/2.8 coming soon?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
exkeks said:
MartinF. said:
I quess and hope, that the latest releases of 70-200 lenses is a signal to the EF-lens users, that the EF mount is here to stay.
I think, it’s quite the opposite. The fact that Canon didn’t bother to produce a newly designed 70-200/2.8 aside from some cosmetical changes, is a sign that they do not aim at current owners of the 70-200/2.8II IS wanting to upgrade. Because -perhaps- there will be a new EF-# 70-200/2.8 coming soon?

I think with the III they aim at new adopters and series I updaters. Regardless, it is an indication that EF will continue to be supported.

Upvote 0
My prediction is that when these are released the big complaint will be battery drain. The 5D IV is advertised at 300 shots in live view. The new mirrorless will most likely be similar. If they add a digital view finder like is on the M5 you would have much less.

The M5 battery life is a nuisance that you have to monitor. More than once I have found myself with a dead camera.

No doubt the new bodies will be lighter, hopefully they make them with a battery grip so you can double the capacity. This might even solve the problem people with giant hands might have with a tiny body.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
takesome1 said:
My prediction is that when these are released the big complaint will be battery drain. The 5D IV is advertised at 300 shots in live view. The new mirrorless will most likely be similar. If they add a digital view finder like is on the M5 you would have much less.

The M5 battery life is a nuisance that you have to monitor. More than once I have found myself with a dead camera.

No doubt the new bodies will be lighter, hopefully they make them with a battery grip so you can double the capacity. This might even solve the problem people with giant hands might have with a tiny body.

Absolutely on both accounts. The m5 should have had a battery grip from the get go, these new ffs will definitely have grip accessories (you HEARD it here FIRST) :p ;D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Is there any chance that the updates to some of the current EF lenses (that don't seem to be updating the optics much...70-200 ???) are actually updates to the focus motors and software to be able to work better/faster with on sensor dpaf?

That might be a sign that canon is ensuring speedy focus on new mirrorless with EF lenses (doesn't necessarily tell us the new camera will be EF mount but at least it might mean that any EF adapter needed would work consistently with these lenses.

Either way, I'm happy to wait, my canon gear still works well with my long lenses and I'm extremely happy with both the A7RII and the A7III with 100-400 and 1.4 teleconverter for birds in flight. I can wait to see if/when canon comes up with something as good. I actually like having both systems since there are times when one system is better for a certain type of shot than the other...although if I go on a shoot with only one I do tend to pick up the sony more often lately.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
A Mirrorless camera from Canon will accept EF and EFS lenses as there is no mirror to be damaged by hitting the back of the EFS lens. CFast memory cards will be the main recording media. This will be a great improvement to the professional Shooters using top of the line full frame cameras and might incurage people to upgrade from Apsc to full frame as long as this new camera isn’t in the $6,000.00 price range.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2018
I have another idea regarding "EF-X": maybe it's only a new lense mount, but not a new camera mount. Think of an EF mount that can also accept "EF-X" lenses that are similar to EF-M lenses. Small, light, cheap and - slow. Without the legacy EF 5.6 max aperture these lenses could be much slower than that. How large would something like a 24-70 3.5-6.3 end up? Or a 28 1.8 pancake?

B.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Maiaibing said:
Not really into mirrorless.

What do people think would be the three top advantages compared to the current EOS-models? Is it for improved video? If its an EF-mount size/weight will only be marginally better.

The advantages are reduced mechanical complexity (lack of the mirror mechanism, which *could* present the manufacturer with cost savings and the user with less maintenance) and, potentially, reduced size in some situations. Everything else could be done with an SLR in lockup mode (whereas a mirrorless camera has no way to compose optically through the lens, or make use of off-image sensor modules).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Maiaibing said:
Not really into mirrorless.

What do people think would be the three top advantages compared to the current EOS-models? Is it for improved video? If its an EF-mount size/weight will only be marginally better.

(in no particular order)

1) Shoot with a smaller setup. Yes, this is lost on big/fast FF glass -- we've covered this to death -- but if you limit your FL, speed, etc. you can simply build a smaller mousetrap.

2) You get all the upsides of LiveView with all the conveniences of handheld shooting. You can simply do more in realtime with the camera comfortably held up your eye -- not held 6-12" away from your eye as you would with handheld LiveView shooting.

3) Canon doesn't put manual focus screens in the 5-series and 6-series cameras anymore. Switching to an EVF would unlock the possibility to combine [handheld shooting] + [manual focus glass] + [large apertures], which is something I'm keen to try.

Again, I prefer an SLR myself, but mirrorless is not without its merits.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
3kramd5 said:
Everything else could be done with an SLR in lockup mode

Debatable. Just because LiveView and mirrorless cameras work on the same principle doesn't mean that they are the same shooting experience.

Holding a mirrorless camera to your eye an carefully framing a shot is familiar to me as an SLR user today. However, switching to LiveView, holding your camera awkwardly 6-12" in front your eye to take a picture is tantamount to (pricey) iPad photography to me. It's a fundamentally different experience.

- A

Upvote 0