Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I am considering the new Sony and a Metabones EF adapter as a higher MP landscape option. I like my Canon R and would love a high MP body for the RF lenses but, with no announcement in sight, how long do you wait? Plus Canon usually “under-preforms” compared to the initial rumors. I will say that the real world RAW files from the R are quite good (similar to the 5DM4 of course). Canon has moved so slowly with sensor tech improvements in the past it is hard to believe that they would make the leap all the way to a FF backside illuminated 80MP sensor. It could be incredible but I’ll believe it when I see it!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I am considering the new Sony and a Metabones EF adapter as a higher MP landscape option. I like my Canon R and would love a high MP body for the RF lenses but, with no announcement in sight, how long do you wait? Plus Canon usually “under-preforms” compared to the initial rumors. I will say that the real world RAW files from the R are quite good (similar to the 5DM4 of course). Canon has moved so slowly with sensor tech improvements in the past it is hard to believe that they would make the leap all the way to a FF backside illuminated 80MP sensor. It could be incredible but I’ll believe it when I see it!
Hopefully, Canon made a strategic decision a while ago to take the time to make a major jump is sensor and processor performance rather than going with a more incremental approach. We shall see.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well, if the rumors are right, we will know fairly quickly when the new aps-c camera is released.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
"80MP".

Thank goodness Canon execs have finally realized what's been holding them back behind their rivals - the lack of an eighty megapixel camera.
I honesty look for a model like this and the 61mpixel of the Sony A7R IV could be reason to try this camera.
Its a VERY nice thing to have for high quality product photography. Its also very nice for weddings where you can recompose shots easier.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
If the 7D Mark II and 5DSR relationship are any indication of how Canon intends to create a high-resolution sensor based on the APS-C model, we can expect an 80mp sensor from Canon....that is presuming the the rumored 32mp resolution of the M5/M6 Mark II's is truthful.

Upvote 0
I’m not disputing the point merely asking, but surely for that market the purchasers are either buying as self empoloyed/businesses and writing the value down or are comparatively wealthy amateurs who don’t really care about the cost?

Or put another way, isn’t the pricing in this bracket not as sensitive as other cameras particularly entry level models.
Oh I completely agree - the market for that camera will find a way to make it work. I wasn't commenting on my concern for Canon's ability to peg market price tolerance, I was more commenting on my own cheapness and selfish desire to be able to afford the camera within reason ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Canon finally noticed they can use their dual pixel sensor design to more than just focussing. The technology theoretically allows Dual-ISO,

Maybe. Is it known that subpixels have individually variable gain?

The current DCRAW files can extract additional range because one is brighter than the other, but seemingly this refers to something not already there.

Canon might go forward and make it readily accessible rather than requiring marginally stable freeware, but that’s not a sensor implementation

I’d guess thom’s post is has something to do with either QPAF or rotating each adjacent pixel pair 90 degrees to facilitate phase detection in both axes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Owning the 5DS, 50 mpx is plenty already, but the 5DS / 5DSR at least offer S-RAW and M-RAW which is great. Sony's new A7R iv presently will imprison users to only L-RAW or full size. That would suck. If Canon boosts the resolution, fine for me, provided the RAW can be set to several size options.

Yeah hopefully there will be that option. I'm excited to see what becomes of this camera, but I'm waiting on the next version of the eosr, which will have the new sensor tech and be closer to about 40 megapixels.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
This is why I don’t just jump ship between brands. The industry is constantly evolving. The other reason for me is I like Canon ergonomics, colors and my workflow is down pretty well.
That has been my attitude for the last 27 years. However, I am on a verge of changing it. I will give them one more last chance.
My eyes already rotated toward the GFX 100, despite the price tag. This beast is targeting the so far untouchable Canon ,Nikon and Hasselblad higher end photographers; the ones convinced that gear matters.

It is nice to have megapixels, which is what I am looking for, but if it is not associated with solid stabilization, it would be nothing more than a garbage. User error is of a highest priority and any gear better than anyone else in reducing that error will win the heart of the users. Sticking to lens stabilization, so that you could sell more higher end lenses is simply not user oriented strategy, it is your pocket strategy. Make the combination of in-body stabilization and lens stabilization very effective, better than any in the market, and these users will come to you.
At this stage of my photography, I am very picky. If you want to enter the market of this level of megapixel, you need to be very picky too. Whatever quality of sensor you can come up, you won't beat a bigger size used in the GFX. My opinion, stabilization is your door in.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Hopefully, Canon made a strategic decision a while ago to take the time to make a major jump is sensor and processor performance rather than going with a more incremental approach. We shall see.
I'm always curious just what "major jump" people are expecting. When I look at the much-disputed DXO comparison graphs, there isn't a dime's worth of difference between Sony and Canon.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...My eyes already rotated toward the GFX 100, despite the price tag. This beast is targeting the so far untouchable Canon ,Nikon and Hasselblad higher end photographers; the ones convinced that gear matters....

...At this stage of my photography, I am very picky. If you want to enter the market of this level of megapixel, you need to be very picky too. Whatever quality of sensor you can come up, you won't beat a bigger size used in the GFX...

I'd like to know what you are photographing and how you are using those photographs that makes you so much more picky than others. The only thing I can think of is massive, billboard-sized prints that are displayed in locations where the viewers can actually walk right up and look at the images from a foot away. Are you Andreas Gursky?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Pixel density of the APC so matching up IBIS and LIS would be key to get the benefit. I noticed I had to step up my technique when I rented the 5DsR compared to the 5DIII.
Wonder if having an AA filter even matters at that level (I guess it would based on the APC pixel size)

Would likely be my "forever" camera. Hanging out w/ the current bodies hoping for just such a beast.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
As a bird/wildlife shooter, I'm always after high MP FF cameras that allow a healthy crop when needed. But I'm worried Canon won't be able to back those 70-80MPs with 10FPS full AE/AF as Sony does with the A7R4 or what Nikon does with the 9FPS (via grip) D850. The 5DSR was a nice camera and I owned it for a while but with 5FPS (dropping to 3 as the battery life dwindled) and so so AF it never could meet all my needs as a fully fleshed bird in flight camera.

Of course for other type of photography like landscapes and products etc the camera will do just fine.
How about an aps-c camera with the 32 ish sensor, a lot of fps and an RF mount then?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
That has been my attitude for the last 27 years. However, I am on a verge of changing it. I will give them one more last chance.
My eyes already rotated toward the GFX 100, despite the price tag. This beast is targeting the so far untouchable Canon ,Nikon and Hasselblad higher end photographers; the ones convinced that gear matters.

It is nice to have megapixels, which is what I am looking for, but if it is not associated with solid stabilization, it would be nothing more than a garbage. User error is of a highest priority and any gear better than anyone else in reducing that error will win the heart of the users. Sticking to lens stabilization, so that you could sell more higher end lenses is simply not user oriented strategy, it is your pocket strategy. Make the combination of in-body stabilization and lens stabilization very effective, better than any in the market, and these users will come to you.
At this stage of my photography, I am very picky. If you want to enter the market of this level of megapixel, you need to be very picky too. Whatever quality of sensor you can come up, you won't beat a bigger size used in the GFX. My opinion, stabilization is your door in.
Hard to beat a tripod for solid stabilization.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
There is a post on Canonwatch.com stating that Canon lenses have a MP limit. Which personally Idk if they do, my guess is no they don't.

Component resolution does not 'cap' system resolution in the way many people imagine. The final resolution of an optical system is less than the weakest component. But improving any component brings the system closer to that theoretical limit.

Bob Atkins demonstrated this in his review of the 5Ds by finding the worst EF lens he could and shooting it on a 6D and a 5Ds. On the 6D the resulting image looked completely unusable, 'coke bottle' tier. On the 5Ds the image looked poor but maybe usable for small prints.

The combination of this new R sensor and much of the higher end Canon glass that is available, EF and RF, will be stunning.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
the R-lenses may be fantastic but system efficency is a product of lens and sensor efficency, which means that the weaker Canon sensors easily waste the advantage which would be possible with the better Sony sensors

This is a ridiculous way to look at it since resolution impacts every image taken. Dynamic range does not. Very few scenes would fall perfectly within the DR difference between an older Canon sensor and the newest A7 sensors (as opposed to being completely within or completely outside of the DR of both). As it has been demonstrated repeatedly on this forum, even the people who cry about DR the most can't seem to post images showing they can take advantage of the difference between an A73/A74 and an original 7D, much less the tiny noise difference between an A73/A74 and a 5D4 or R.

For the vast majority of photographs there is no 'advantage wasted' even if one accepts that DR is the most important thing on Earth.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0