Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm always curious just what "major jump" people are expecting. When I look at the much-disputed DXO comparison graphs, there isn't a dime's worth of difference between Sony and Canon.

A performance increase that enables Canon sensors to gain higher frame rates, uncropped 4K video, better Eye AF, while keeping DPAF, implementing QPAF, etc. Image quality is just one point of comparison. There are others.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I thought we all despised spec wars?
Not if the specs are in sensor tech where Canon has been well behind. Or in video specs, where canon has been well behind.

The difference in 12fps v 14fps...or 480 focus points v 571 focus points...yeah, those are silly spec wars. But it'd be a welcome change for Canon to put out their best in each camera versus crazy segmentation that pulls basic shit like 1080/24 out of a lesser camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
A performance increase that enables Canon sensors to gain higher frame rates, uncropped 4K video, better Eye AF, while keeping DPAF, implementing QPAF, etc. Image quality is just one point of comparison. There are others.
This. I think the issue is less with Canon sensors (though there is room for improvement there), and more with their processing. Though there is certainly a part of me that thinks a 5dIV could do 4k60 and Canon just segmented it out to protect their Cxxx lines.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Not if the specs are in sensor tech where Canon has been well behind. Or in video specs, where canon has been well behind.

The difference in 12fps v 14fps...or 480 focus points v 571 focus points...yeah, those are silly spec wars. But it'd be a welcome change for Canon to put out their best in each camera versus crazy segmentation that pulls basic shit like 1080/24 out of a lesser camera.

Removing 1080/24 was an insult to Canon customers even if they had no use for it

• Love
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Who really cares? Not trying to be sarcastic. A slow, limited feature high megapixel body. A practical crop mode? Good luck.

This company is the meaning of struggle. If canon thinks that more megapixels is enough to keep them in the lead- with old tech moving all that data around- then they already lost. Canons lineup has no feet. The R doesn't even have a joystick for moving the focus point. At $2300. Is this crazy town or what.

Just like my beautiful 5d3, I want a reliable, full feature set body without lame firmware compromises. 60+ MP....interesting, but not critical.

Upvote 0
Yeah hopefully there will be that option. I'm excited to see what becomes of this camera, but I'm waiting on the next version of the eosr, which will have the new sensor tech and be closer to about 40 megapixels.

Wouldn't need to start with 40, if it can have 80 and the option for 40 also. I used my 5DS as a 2nd body for weddings alongside a 5D mk ii and just set the 5DS on a smaller setting.

Two separate bodies would be good too.

Meanwhile, I'm with you on the 40 megapixels. The EOS R I own right now has plenty. Aside from the two card thing, I could practically just get a 2nd one of those as a 3rd body.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Owning the 5DS, 50 mpx is plenty already, but the 5DS / 5DSR at least offer S-RAW and M-RAW which is great. Sony's new A7R iv presently will imprison users to only L-RAW or full size. That would suck. If Canon boosts the resolution, fine for me, provided the RAW can be set to several size options.
Pardon my ignorance. How do cameras produce S-RAW and M-RAW? Do they use a subset of the pixels on the sensor or do they reduce the full frame image? How does the result compare (theoretically and/or in real life) with the same shot made with the same lens on a camera with the same number of pixels as the result?

Upvote 0
Wow, 80 MPix would be fine ... if they add a raw mode which downsamples it to 20 MPix (1 RGGB group to 1 image pixel) in camera AND via DPP to use 20Mpix directly or 80 MPix always but convert it to a smaller format. Would be great for lower noise/less light, cleaner color and avoidance of color moiree.

But 80 Mpix is strange for video IMO: would be like a 1.4 crop if you use 4k on a 7620 x 4160 pixel large subarea of the sensor.

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Yes!! It’s not like I desired dual slots, better DR and noise performance, and some better video features to match the competition of every other camera brand!!
(At a price that is not 1.5x the one of other brands)
(I know I can’t speak for everyone, but while I’m sure some people will definitely like the idea of a high MPx camera, I’m sure a whole lot more would just LOVE a better version of the R)

Upvote 0
When we look at Sony's 26MP 1.5x APS sensors, their new 61MP FF sensor, and their 100MP miniMF sensor we see that they all use what is probably the exact same photo site density, or pixel pitch. In other words, they are likely the same sensor, but scaled up for the larger formats.
It is interesting to extrapolate the same way with Canon's 1.6X APS-C sensors. It appears that a 32.5MP 1.6X APS-C sensor is coming from Canon in the M line. Taking the photo site density of that sensor, which is slightly smaller than the Sony APS-C sensor, and increasing the dimensions to produce a full-frame 24x36mm sensor gets us to a bit more than 80MP. In other words, a 75MP full frame sensor would actually be a slightly conservative move based on technology that Canon already has.
For real fun — and I have heard no rumors that this will happen — if Canon were to expand the area of the 32.5MP 1.6x APS-C sensor to the 33x44mm miniMF format size... it would produce an approximately 140+MP miniMF sensor!

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Yes!! It’s not like I desired dual slots, better DR and noise performance, and some better video features to match the competition of every other camera brand!!
(At a price that is not 1.5x the one of other brands)
(I know I can’t speak for everyone, but while I’m sure some people will definitely like the idea of a high MPx camera, I’m sure a whole lot more would just LOVE a better version of the R)

Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
As for the resolution, fine, I just hope it won't make the processing and storage a major pain point.

As for the sensor sensitivity & other specs, I'm really looking forward to it. Not really considering a buy before a notable improvement in this department is in place and on the market. This rumor sounds very promising although it is just a CR1.

Pixel shift like the Sony a7r4 features would be awesome for static motives, too, but not as important as the above.

Upvote 0