Canon will release an RF mount ‘vlogging’ camera in 2022 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yesterday, Nikon announced the Nikon Z30 Z-mount camera targeting vloggers and people that want a small camera body.
Canon will be releasing a similar camera sometime this year. It could be the rumored EOS R100, but we have long said that Canon would release an RF-mount APS-C camera with a similar form factor as the EOS M6 Mark II, which is a logical next step for Canon.
It’s possible that we’ll see this camera announced alongside the upcoming Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro & Canon RF 15-30mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, both of which will likely have compact designs.
More to come…
Note: The image for this post is the Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Continue reading...

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
An updated M200 or M6 is overdue, it looks like Canon is moving the M series cameras into the updated RF-S mount, not a bad idea.

I’m temped with an R7 and I would be interested in a smaller boded R range, camera such as the rumoured “R100” a family holiday play thing that I can carry around without even noticing it is with me.

My only gripe is the new kit lens why 18-45 and not like the M-Series 15-45. OK, I know neither are not anything special, far from it, but 18mm on a crop sensor camera is not wide enough for a general kit lens. For the masses who will buy these, that might matter.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
An updated M200 or M6 is overdue, it looks like Canon is moving the M series cameras into the updated RF-S mount, not a bad idea.
Part of what made the m50, and m100 ideal vlogging cameras was them being small cameras with small lenses.
The RF mount limits how small those cameras and lenese can be

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Part of what made the m50, and m100 ideal vlogging cameras was them being small cameras with small lenses.
The Nikon Z30 seems to squeeze out every bit of smallness while using the 'big' Z mount. I'm impressed by how good it actually looks.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
They could use this camera as the basis for an M6-2 replacement using an M lens mount and slightly different firmware. (Is that wishful thinking?)
Unfortunately, yes, I think it is wishful thinking. Its possible we could finally see the official end of the M series with the release of this camera. M6II was just recently discontinued. M50II may be the last of the breed.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Unfortunately, yes, I think it is wishful thinking. Its possible we could finally see the official end of the M series with the release of this camera. M6II was just recently discontinued. M50II may be the last of the breed.

-Brian
Saw this link on another forum - the roller coaster continues!

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Inaction speaks louder than words. The M50 was announced way back in 2018, and the 2020 M50 Mark II was just a minor tweak. "The 4K/24p video is heavily cropped and you can't use the camera's dual-pixel autofocus (it's contrast-detection only)." -DPReview

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Inaction speaks louder than words. The M50 was announced way back in 2018, and the 2020 M50 Mark II was just a tiny tweak, with poor 4K.
And both cameras have consistently been among the top 10 best-selling cameras in Japan since their launch, and usually one or both have been among the top three. Canon is smart enough to know that if it ain't broke, you don't fix it. Canon is also smart enough not to let forum members make their product decisions for them. Imagine that...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
And both cameras have consistently been among the top 10 best-selling cameras in Japan since their launch, and usually one or both have been among the top three. Canon is smart enough to know that if it ain't broke, you don't fix it. Canon is also smart enough not to let forum members make their product decisions for them. Imagine that...
"Cash Cow"

Upvote 0
They could use this camera as the basis for an M6-2 replacement using an M lens mount and slightly different firmware. (Is that wishful thinking?)
Yes (unfortunately)

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States

...thanks for this link.

Note the mention of the 200 and M5 series but not the M6 series...sort of makes sense to me--the M6 MkII really is sort of a 'baby' R7 with 2-3 year old technology inside. So my guess has been (and written here) is no more M6 bodies from Canon...but perhaps the smaller Ms will move forward.

Think about it for a minute--the refurbished M200 + 15-45 EF-M lens combination (and a backpack thrown in for good measure)...is $350 at Canon...right now. That's quite the deal, especially when compared to some 'point-and-shoot' Canons that were ubiquitous not all that long ago (pre cellphone).

=====

It makes no sense for Canon to abandon the tiny APS-C body market to its competitors.

I own the EF-M 18-150 IS lens (in fact, purchased one for a family member, too)...while a fine lens it is somewhat limited in terms of image quality. But when I use an M camera, I'm prepared to make compromises...size-and-weight compromises.

Some measure of the quandary Canon faces is that the kit lens for the R7 has the innards of the EF-M 18-150 with an R mount! That makes no sense...the R7, I think, deserves the best glass the R mount can offer, right!?

=====

There are two EF-M lenses that really really shine, in terms of these kinds of compromises: the 22mm and the 11-22mm IS lenses.

Both of these lenses work nicely on the 'large' M6 MkII...but they also excel on the smaller Ms.

I look forward to evaluating the RS 15-30 lens when it is mounted on the smallest R body.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I own the EF-M 18-150 IS lens (in fact, purchased one for a family member, too)...while a fine lens it is somewhat limited in terms of image quality. But when I use an M camera, I'm prepared to make compromises...size-and-weight compromises.

Some measure of the quandary Canon faces is that the kit lens for the R7 has the innards of the EF-M 18-150 with an R mount! That makes no sense...the R7, I think, deserves the best glass the R mount can offer, right!?
The R7 is more like an xxD body. Not really aimed at the L-series lens owners, IMO.

The EF-M 18-150mm seems to have substantial copy variation. The copy that Bryan/TDP first tested for his ISO 12233-type charts was rather poor, significantly worse than the EF-M 55-200mm, for example. When I was drafting the review of the M18-150 for TDP, I found my copy to be quite good, on par with the M55-200. Bryan ordered another copy, and it was much better (the second copy is the one now in the charts).

There are two EF-M lenses that really really shine, in terms of these kinds of compromises: the 22mm and the 11-22mm IS lenses.
I'd add the EF-M 32/1.4 to that list. It delivers IQ similar to many L-series lenses.

Upvote 0