Canon will release an RF mount ‘vlogging’ camera in 2022 [CR3]

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
How will you hold your camera still, if is not pressed onto your face? Just stabilized by your hands like a smartphone? Then you need at least some kind of gimbal or even a tripod. Otherwise you introduce a shake that could be avoided with a viewfinder. Unlike smartphones the Z30 does not even have IBIS. And if the sun is too bright, it is harder to nail the exposure just with a screen
There are more than a few photographers who use a tripod all the time, for every picture they take. Including some who only take pictures at night and never use a viewfinder. Different strokes for different folks.

And as others have already mentioned, with good technique it's perfectly possible to take handheld photos with the screen, too, at least with short focal lengths.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
How will you hold your camera still, if is not pressed onto your face? Just stabilized by your hands like a smartphone? Then you need at least some kind of gimbal or even a tripod. Otherwise you introduce a shake that could be avoided with a viewfinder. Unlike smartphones the Z30 does not even have IBIS. And if the sun is too bright, it is harder to nail the exposure just with a screen.
Yes, because of the reasons you named I personally would never buy a camera without an viewfinder.
But I understand that there is also a market for cameras like this. Giving such an option to the RF-system would make sense.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Probably worth mentioning that I don't have an issue buying a camera with an EVF per se, I have an issue with the compromises that drives. Usually they make the camera bigger for no useful reason to people who won't use them. They also take up prime real estate on the camera which could be used for useful ports, a better internal mic, or an LED light array. Same issue with internal flash, which is utterly useless to a vlogger, where an LED light might be useful, or again more ports or smaller camera.
For me, at least, cost isn't a driver here.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
With good technique. It's not hard. The waterfall shot above is a 1.0 s exposure (M18-150 @ 45mm), no tripod. Pretty sharp as you can see at 1:1, albeit with some softening from diffraction at f/18.
Indeed... that plus the fact that holding the camera in various positions gives you more versatility in shooting.
You can be more discrete, more reactive and handle angles that aren't allowed when you're forced to put your eyes in a viewfinder and then, bring the rest of your head to the place (which can be impossible in many cases, especially when your surrounded by a crowd) :D ...
Stabilisation in gears can be also a good help of course in that kind of situation...
Two samples with M6 at arm's length

Attachments

• dbn35bf-a2cd9395-b060-4594-8157-a65caff9838b.jpg
    dbn35bf-a2cd9395-b060-4594-8157-a65caff9838b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • dbcbe73-cf040b87-aa76-4b88-945c-d5b56b143105.jpg
    dbcbe73-cf040b87-aa76-4b88-945c-d5b56b143105.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
These viewfinder (vs. no viewfinder) discussions are nearly as refreshing as the RF (vs. M) system discussions!

To be precise:
I personally would never buy an camera without viewfinder.
But I personally would also never buy a camera without screen.

For me(!) and maybe most(?) people both is best. Which one is better is only dependable on the situation/motiv.

But yes ... these discussions proof that there is a market for cameras without viewfinder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
maybe most(?) people both is best
No, both is a compromise of everything. There is plenty of space in the range to include purpose specific models, and indeed that's where the most value lies. Fitting everything is what Homer did when designing a car in the Simpsons, and indicates lack of purpose and design direction. What we need is a great photo camera, a great vlogging camera and a great all rounder for people who aren't sure (which will be a compromise). What we have is various all rounders at various price points which have been artificially crippled in some way because it's all Canon knows how to do. If they designed for a purpose they wouldn't need to artificially differentiate because the devices would in fact be different.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
No, both is a compromise of everything.
Yes, like every camera is a compromise.
What we need is a great photo camera, a great vlogging camera and a great all rounder for people who aren't sure (which will be a compromise).
What "we" need? Who is "we"?
I think you are only talking about what you need ... which is ok, but please just say it.
I think "we" (as canon users) already have great photo cameras, great vlogging cameras and a great all rounders.
Maybe a vlogging camera for the RF system is missing. But I think there are even vloggers who prefer having an viewfinder. If you don't want/need a viewfinder doesn't mean everybody else has the same needs.
What we have is various all rounders at various price points which have been artificially crippled in some way because it's all Canon knows how to do. If they designed for a purpose they wouldn't need to artificially differentiate because the devices would in fact be different.
So ... the R3 for ex. is an "all rounder"? Are we really discussing about this?
You are expecting the perfect camera fitting your specific needs.
You won't get this. Not from Canon nor from any other manufacturer.
Even a highly specialized cameras like the R3 has to fit different style of users and even different style of shooting scenarios (for ex. Wildlife AND Sports; Photos AND Videos). Maybe you can ask Leica if they build a camera specifically for your needs. Please tell me about the expected price, I'm very courious!

Upvote 0
Yes. Unlike photographers who are there to take a photo, vloggers are there do do whatever it is they are doing, getting footage is usually secondary so carrying 30kg of camera gear is undesirable since it impedes the ability to get on with doing things. Also, when recording, the camera is often held at arms length pointed back at the person, weight is a big issue here. Because of this technique, it's also useful to have a screen that folds up for framing purposes since it looks natural to glance 3" upwards but not 5" to the side.

It would also be nice if they removed the hotshoe from the top of the camera. Vloggers generally don't need a flash and certainly not on top of the camera. It would be more useful to have some M5 threads to mount things to with accessories such as hot/cold shoes to match. I suspect many M6ii users would accept a slightly larger body if it didn't need a Smallrig cage.
true. I'm not vlogger, but I have taken a number of selfies with my camera. The Canon G12 at a variangle floppy screen that flipped out to the side. I constantly had to remind myself (and the wife) to look at the lens, not the screen as the results looked weird. The M3 screen flipped upwards and cured this issue - perfect selfie framing, but I had to remove anything attached to the hotshoe such as the EVF or speedlite. My M5's screen flips down because the design of built-in EVF prevents it from flipping up. Framing looks okay, but it also prevents you from using the tripod mount, such as a steady cam for a vlogger.

I can certainly see the market for a hotshoe-less vlogger camera with a flip up screen. As it's clear to me there's not perfect solution for everyone.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
I think "we" (as canon users) already have great photo cameras, great vlogging cameras and a great all rounders.
If Canon sell a great vlogging camera I can't imagine which one that would be. Not a single one of them has a good microphone setup, for instance. All of them have flashes as far as I can see (with none having a light), and all but one have EVFs which make them larger and heavier than needed. Very few have fold up screens, and most of them cut the video at 30 minutes.

Please, which is the great vlogging camera?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If Canon sell a great vlogging camera I can't imagine which one that would be. Not a single one of them has a good microphone setup, for instance. All of them have flashes as far as I can see (with none having a light), and all but one have EVFs which make them larger and heavier than needed. Very few have fold up screens, and most of them cut the video at 30 minutes.

Any camera that shoots video is a vlogging camera. At least, as far as those with no real vlogging experience are concerned.

FWIW, I am one of those with no vlogging experience, but at least I know and acknowledge what I don't know, and defer to those with actual experience in those areas rather than speaking for them. Sort of like how some claim it's impossible to take a good still photo without a viewfinder, but have never actually used an ILC without a viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
RF? But there is already a very well suited (and very lively ;)) M system ... very strange!
Everyone’s been telling Canon to discontinue the M series in favor of RF APS-C. I quest a few mms in size and three or four ounces in weight won’t make much of a difference to most buyers. But they do have to have a fuller small lens complement.

I understand why they can’t adapt actual M series lenses to RF, but there’s no reason why these designs can’t be in a new lens body that would have an RF mount. That would temporarily up the lens line for this at lower cost while newer lenses come out over time.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022

I'm not an vlogger but I 've heard those Canon cameras are quite suitable for vlogging:

G5X MARK II
M6 II
M 200

Even three options without viewfinder! And at least one of it even has a fold up screen.

Which hybrid camera in the world has no flash but light?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0