Canon will release an RF mount ‘vlogging’ camera in 2022 [CR3]

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
As far as I can tell, it cannot be bought on Canon Japan’s web store. It’s listed, but cannot be added to a cart. Since I can add other items to a cart, I presume there’s not some geographical issue. Certainly some retailers will still have stock, but that’s generally true for a discontinued product. Amazon.jp only lists it from 3rd party sellers, not Amazon itself.

If Canon Japan isn’t selling it, that has implications. Maybe not major ones, since it’s just Japan and Australia (but we’re not talking about Tuvalu and Liechtenstein here).
I can’t say for sure if the M6II has been discontinued in Canada, but I searched on 6 retailers websites and can’t find it listed for sale. Amazon.ca shows some listings through external sellers. I found it on the Canon Canada website, but when I hit Buy it produces an error message.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
  • Love
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
If I wanted an M series camera, I would buy it right now, just in case. My brief look at the M50 was a positive experience, but I never figured out a usage niche for anything between my G cameras and my DSLR. I never have occasion to use my T3i as it is. I have removed its battery so that it is less likely to ruin just sitting. Until I bought the 16–35mm f/4, I figured I’d use the EF-S 10–22mm on the T3i for my wide angle needs. Instead, when driving home from a classmate’s funeral, I decided that life was too short to put off buying the lens. So I stopped at the Best Buy on my way home and bought it. Am I correct that I could use the EF-S lens on an M camera?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No, that's an article about what Canon says they see for the future of the M series. "Observe the behavior and infer the motivations."
Canon is a publicly traded company. Their primary motivation is to increase ROI for their shareholders, no inference required.

The article @SnowMiku linked is not the source to which I was referring. In an interview, the CEO of Canon China stated, …”it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future.” More importantly, he provided the relative breakdown of Canon’s camera line unit sales:

EOS R - 20%
EOS M - 30%
DSLR - 40%
P&S - 10%

The idea that Canon will produce only the RF mount going forward, effectively abandoning 70% of their camera sales, is patently asinine. If Canon can shift that 70% to RF, sure. But it’s been 10 years since Canon launched MILCs, and 44% of the ILCs they sell are still DSLRs. That’s a very slow shift.

Could a person of reasonable intelligence or with even a rudimentary business acumen look at those numbers and infer that Canon will be motivated to walk away from two major market segments? Of course not, but reading posts on this forum makes it obvious that some members lack reasonable intelligence or have less business acumen than a bowling ball.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If I wanted an M series camera, I would buy it right now, just in case. My brief look at the M50 was a positive experience, but I never figured out a usage niche for anything between my G cameras and my DSLR. I never have occasion to use my T3i as it is. I have removed its battery so that it is less likely to ruin just sitting. Until I bought the 16–35mm f/4, I figured I’d use the EF-S 10–22mm on the T3i for my wide angle needs. Instead, when driving home from a classmate’s funeral, I decided that life was too short to put off buying the lens. So I stopped at the Best Buy on my way home and bought it. Am I correct that I could use the EF-S lens on an M camera?
Yes, with the EF-M mount adapter any EF or EF-S lens will work on an M-series body.

I’m a bit confused, though. Did you buy the 16-35/4? Do you have a FF ILC? A 16-35 on a an APS-C camera (like the T3i or M50) gives framing like 26mm on FF, and I believe most G series have lenses starting equivalent to 24mm.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Canon is a publicly traded company. Their primary motivation is to increase ROI for their shareholders, no inference required.

The article @SnowMiku linked is not the source to which I was referring. In an interview, the CEO of Canon China stated, …”it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future.” More importantly, he provided the relative breakdown of Canon’s camera line unit sales:

EOS R - 20%
EOS M - 30%
DSLR - 40%
P&S - 10%

The idea that Canon will produce only the RF mount going forward, effectively abandoning 70% of their camera sales, is patently asinine. If Canon can shift that 70% to RF, sure. But it’s been 10 years since Canon launched MILCs, and 44% of the ILCs they sell are still DSLRs. That’s a very slow shift.

Could a person of reasonable intelligence or with even a rudimentary business acumen look at those numbers and infer that Canon will be motivated to walk away from two major market segments? Of course not, but reading posts on this forum makes it obvious that some members lack reasonable intelligence or have less business acumen than a bowling ball.
You were fooled by canonwatch.

The source of the interview is here:

The supposed quote "... it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future" is nowhere to be found!

This and a lot more is falsely interpreted and written by canonwatch.

Just read the hilarious translation of the original source! :LOL:

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes, with the EF-M mount adapter any EF or EF-S lens will work on an M-series body.

I’m a bit confused, though. Did you buy the 16-35/4? Do you have a FF ILC? A 16-35 on a an APS-C camera (like the T3i or M50) gives framing like 26mm on FF, and I believe most G series have lenses starting equivalent to 24mm.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I bought a 6D2 not long after it came out. I got it with the non-L 24–105mm kit lens with the idea that I would use it along with the EF lenses I already had until I decided what new lenses to buy. The kit lens turned out to be fine for general use, and so I mainly needed to get something longer and something shorter. The next year I decided that I would buy the 16–35 f/4 for my birthday present to myself the following October. I didn't see a need to rush because I could always use the 10–22 on my T3i for my wide-angle needs. But in the spring a high school classmate died unexpectedly, and driving home from the funeral, I decided given the uncertainties of life, it didn't make sense to wait for October to buy a lens I could use already, and I wasn't going to be any better off financially in October than I was then. So that is when I stopped at Best Buy for the lens. After the camera, I bought the EF 100–400 II, so have the range pretty well covered. I travel with the G5X II and use the 6D2 for everything else.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You were fooled by canonwatch.

The source of the interview is here:

The supposed quote "... it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future" is nowhere to be found!

This and a lot more is falsely interpreted and written by canonwatch.

Just read the hilarious translation of the original source! :LOL:
Although I’ll generally continue ignoring your drivel, I will on occasion correct blatant misinformation when you post it.

The actual source of the interview is here:

I have colleagues who can properly translate Chinese, probably the person who runs CanonWatch does, as well.

Short of that, find this section of the actual source, it’s about 40% of the way down the page:

顺便再跟您说一下,EOS R大概占比是两成,我们单反相机占比是四成。您从我的介绍之中可以听出来,在我们相机销售收入之中M系列占到了三成之多,这是一个很高的数字,所以我们接下来不可能就不再对M系列进行升级了。

…and put it through Google translate:

By the way, let me tell you again, the EOS R accounts for about 20%, and our SLR cameras account for 40%. You can hear from my introduction that the M series accounts for as much as 30% of our camera sales revenue, which is a very high number, so it is impossible for us to stop upgrading the M series in the future.

That’s an even stronger affirmation of the M series’ future upgrades that CanonWatch’s translation.

So, who is being fooled? The only thing hilarious here is your lack of comprehension. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Although I’ll generally continue ignoring your drivel, I will on occasion correct blatant misinformation when you post it.

The actual source of the interview is here:

I have colleagues who can properly translate Chinese, probably the person who runs CanonWatch does, as well.

Short of that, find this section of the actual source, it’s about 40% of the way down the page:

…and put it through Google translate:

That’s an even stronger affirmation of the M series’ future upgrades that CanonWatch’s translation.

So, who is being fooled? The only thing hilarious here is your lack of comprehension. :ROFLMAO:

This link was given by canonwatch!
Now you come with your own sources and translations...

Xitek is the well known source for being the number one source of anything you want to hear. It is so popular and such a reputable source that you need to do your own translation... :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

This link was given by canonwatch!
Now you come with your own sources and translations...
The links are the same source. CanonWatch provided a link to a Google translation of the source article, but the link specifies translating from Japanese to English which is why the translation is filled with gibberish. The original source is written in Chinese. Evidently you cannot tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese. Selecting Chinese for the source language in Google Translate, or simply letting Google auto-detect the source language (which it does, as Chinese), gives a proper translation.

Are you really that clueless?

That was a rhetorical question, it's clear that you are.

I’m done here, as usual a discussion with you is pointless.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
The links are the same source. CanonWatch provided a link to a Google translation of the source article, but the link specifies translating from Japanese to English which is why the translation is filled with gibberish. The original source is written in Chinese. Evidently you cannot tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese. Selecting Chinese for the source language in Google Translate, or simply letting Google auto-detect the source language (which it does, as Chinese), gives a proper translation.

Are you really that clueless?

That was a rhetorical question, it's clear that you are.

I’m done here, as usual a discussion with you is pointless.
Thank you and all the best while waiting for your chinese M-whatsoever!

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Given that, why should we believe that the quote "... it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future" is intended to provide useful and correct information to current and prospective buyers instead of just manipulating those buyers so that the M-system cash cow dies more slowly?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Given that, why should we believe that the quote "... it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future" is intended to provide useful and correct information to current and prospective buyers instead of just manipulating those buyers so that the M-system cash cow dies more slowly?
What makes you think most buyers of entry level bodies are repeat buyers of entry level bodies, such that they would need reassurance?

Step back and look at the bigger picture. Multiple Canon representatives in multiple geographies are stating that Canon will continue supporting a system that represents 30% of its camera sales. It’s a very reasonable statement to make, just as if a Toyota exec stated they would keep selling the Camry.

But you think it’s a global marketing conspiracy to dupe unsuspecting consumers in to bait-and-switch purchases of a line that Canon is about to abandon. Better get your tinfoil hat checked, sounds like it’s too tight.

Upvote 0