Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

TracerHD

Canon EOS R1 Pro
Aug 22, 2019
* charging over USB 3 . Give the usb 3 connector a physical 'detent' so when a cable is plugged in you can feel it snap in place when fully inserted and not want to come out by accident.

Question: wouldn't it be better to charge the batteries by battery charger ( faster than USB-C ? ) and use a Canon ac-e6n or something like this instead of?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... I don't think Canon has internally committed to a 5D MK IV release, but I am sure they are developing one in the event they do decide to release it. ...
I am quite sure you got mixed up with all that "Mark" numbers and mean the MK V.
Beacuse the MK IV was already released in 2016 ;) Right?

Upvote 0

Chris_Seattle

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, M50
Aug 30, 2019
Oh my ... 4 Canon cameras wedding photogs have no need for and no 5DV equivalent. If Canon thinks, that we want to move to the high megapixel nonsense, then they are pretty much wrong. And btw - high speed sports body with low megapixels has absolutly no sense. There is already 1DX III with low-enough resolution, and lower than 20mpx will surely not make 7D II followers happy.

What I also wonder is - if there is any truth to the EOS Rm, which would cost cca 800 USD, is there really still a future for the EOS-M cameras, apart from its relatively smaller bodies and lens?

You are correct. The Rs could be a sports shooter, IF they make it fast enough (at least 10 FPS). If it’s only 5FPS it will only be a 5DS/5DSR replacement.

And yes, an upgrade to the 5D4 market will have better low light performance...higher resolution is not needed.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You are correct. The Rs could be a sports shooter, IF they make it fast enough (at least 10 FPS). If it’s only 5FPS it will only be a 5DS/5DSR replacement.

And yes, an upgrade to the 5D4 market will have better low light performance...higher resolution is not needed.
Not needed for you. For me, it's essential and also dropping the AA-filter - OK for low res sensors but not for 50+ Mpx. And the low light performance of the 5DIV is still state of the art.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.
May I introduce myself so you know someone who isn't ever jumping to Sony. ;)

Jack

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.
:p NEW TROLL WARNING! :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Sony cameras suck - they have EVFs I can't tolerate.

The point is, all three elements are crucial, meaning you can't do the job without all of them (and all have to be capable of the job). Therefore saying one is more important than the other is akin to saying the wings on your airliner are more important than the flight controls or engines. Well, you need them all, so they are all equally important.
I agree. I started as a general purpose photog, then did winter sports, then did wedding, then did portraiture and now mainly photo story and video. Regardless of how great I was as a photographer, I always had to replace or upgrade my gear every time I changed. The wedding gear were not buffy and long enough for sport, the sport gear were too heavy for portraiture on top of the need for strobe and softbox, and the 5D III didn't have DPAF and in-body stabilization for run and gun videography. My bank account confirms that you are right, gears and photographers are equally important.
However, I know a friend photographer who still uses a 5D II and delivers better results than me using a 1DX II. That is because his scene staging and model posing techniques are flawless, compared to mine.
Do you need to upgrade your gear or do you need to spend money (and time) for training? The answer to that is very personal. My opinion, he values more training that's why he assigned a 70% to it. I need both so I will assign it 50/50. And the guy who can shoot pond hockey games with a cellphone needs to find a psychiatrist.

Upvote 0
I have had 2 card failures
I lost data with my first one and since then I have always backed up images on a second card. It does happen. If you fly half way across the country for a dive and the card fails while your underwater it’s infuriating

Since you all are missing the point I’ll reiterate. Tech is better than ever and canon knows this. You all want light weight, this pixel amount or that amount of pixels or 4K or no k or two slots or the other long list of complaints. Canon and other company’s are not dumb. They know more than most of us. They try to deliver a product that meets most of the needs. If you get only one slot it’s because they know something you don’t. Writing data and cards are so good now that company’s are taking that into consideration to give all of you who complain about everything all that you can want and dream of in a small little package. And too answer your questions I have never had a card failure. I used to do weddings but I would rather get kicked in junk than photograph a wedding.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
We are all doomed -- eventually. But the Rebels and APS-C generally have a lot of life left in them. Many consumers prefer the "real camera" look and feel of DSLRs and the flexibility of the EF-S and EF lens system cannot be discounted. Unfortunately, Canon sacrificed that flexibility with the R and M systems. Think about the tried and true 70-300 mm kit lenses. Probably one of the most popular focal lengths ever made. There is simply nothing like it that will be available in a lens that fits both the R and M.

The M has the 55 to 250 I believe

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Question: wouldn't it be better to charge the batteries by battery charger ( faster than USB-C ? ) and use a Canon ac-e6n or something like this instead of?
I don't know which is faster, as speed wasn't my concern. You could still have a battery charger like before if they wanted to supply both (which they should, but you never know).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
This is my camera body wet dream. I would include side as well, because L.
I considered that, but thought it might interfere with the misc. stuff they put on the left side. But on 2nd thought I think they could manage to do it OK. So, if it could be done without any downside then hey - do that too, just for the "L" of it! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I haven't been on this forum forever, but I have been around a few years. With all of the photographers supposedly jumping ship I am surprised canon is still the sales leader. If I listened to the internet hype Canon's market share should be around 1% consisting of old dinosaurs not wanting to give up their DSLR's. What gives? Does not compute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
Since you all are missing the point I’ll reiterate. Tech is better than ever and canon knows this.

There are exactly 1,257 things that can go wrong on a professional shoot. Including camera malfunctions, lighting gear failures, lens malfunctions, and outright malice visited upon you by The Universe itself. They've dedicated themselves to obsessing over one of the least likely. Don't waste your breath.

Card slot failures were a thing. In 2002.

And queue the apocryphal "it happened to ME!" horror stories in 3... 2... 1...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
May I introduce myself so you know someone who isn't ever jumping to Sony. ;)

Jack
Let me explain t to you....

Canon is doomed!

That they are coming out with 4 FF bodies this year means that they never do any research.

That you can put any EF lens on any R camera (with increased functionality) or M camera through an adapter is proof that Canon does not care about its existing customers and has abandoned them.

That Tamron and Sigma EF lenses also work on R, M, and EF bodies is proof that Canon is deliberately screwing over third party manufacturers

or so says internet logic.......

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0