Canon will soon announce the RF 600mm f/4L IS USM, RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Supposedly this is them.....

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
RF400.png

In this first image, I sized the front element of the photo the same and layered the old 400 on top of the new 400 and the RF lens is now... longer?

Seems weird to me that they seemingly just stuck a built-in RF mount adapter on the end of the lens. They didn't even add a control ring to the lens?

To me it almost seems like it would make more sense to buy the EF mount one for versatility, and then just permanently keep a control ring adapter on the lens. I'm sure these lens will cost more than a new 400 III and adapter either way.

Second image for a non-overlayed comparison.

RF4002.png

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
They cost exactly the same as the version III EF lenses (11999$ and 12999$) and as written before, the newer, better teleconverters will only work on the RF lenses without hacking (and it does not record the correct focal length to the camera so the IS may not be as effective)
Also, EOS R3 development announcement coming, so this will be the following model.

Attachments

• Ey0ZzL4VgAAd2Ns.jpg
    Ey0ZzL4VgAAd2Ns.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Upvote 0
The EVF is noticeably less jittery, handheld natural light stills are closer to being acceptable quality, but the biggest improvement is in video. The IBIS smooths out pretty much all high frequency micro shakes which makes stabilizing the rest in post a lot better.
That's great - thanks for responding.
Cheers.

Upvote 0
If I was already a 400III or 600III owner but now shooting RF, it would take one of these three things in order of preference for me to sell off the MkIII and buy an RF replacement:

1) DO like the 2015 prototype that reduced weight but most importantly reduced packing length for easier travel but also for easier handholding with a shorter lens for BIF. The 600DO's length would be more important to me than the weight. 600III weight with the prototype DO length (looked to be shorter than an EF 400/2.8) would even tempt me.

2) Significantly reduced weight over the current EF lenses

3) Built-in TC
Hey Arbitrage, I see you reside over here too. Btw, I'd want a lighter RF600 for me to let go of the 600II lens, otherwise, it will probably be a 2nd R5, so I can carry the 100-500 as a sidearm.

Upvote 0