Capturing surf action with the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here is a great showcase of the capabilities of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III presented by Canon Europe.
From Canon Europe:
We’re pretty excited about this one: the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III or the champion of action and wildlife photography if you like. The ferociously fast pro DSLR introduces a number of full-frame EOS DSLR firsts, including RAW video, an all-new DIGIC processor and revolutionary intelligent autofocus.
“It’s a game-changer,” says leading underwater surf photographer Ben Thouard, the first pro to shoot with Canon’s flagship pro DSLR. Teahupo’o in Tahiti, French Polynesia, is known as the most dangerous break in the world. With huge, powerful and fast-moving waves breaking over a coral reef just below the surface, it’s the ultimate professional surfing challenge. This is where Ben put the new Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to the test in a first hands-on action shoot, capturing talented Tahitian surfer Kauli Vaast from multiple...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Beautiful video. I'm certainly looking forward to what others are able to create with this monster.

I guess I'm of two minds on the body - it is a far cry from what I typically want/need and I find myself drawn into the concern over having no increase in resolution. With that said, the concept of a buffer you can't outrun at 16 fps is bananas and likely much more valuable to target users. I'm no doubt not the target user of this body, but I'm still keen to see what people can create with it.

I'm also curious to see how this new low-pass filter performs. I'd be interested to see if it is much different that what is achievable with just minor raw processing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Scuba photography is a passion of mine. The images in this promo are awesome and so was the video. Well done canon.

that being said most deep sea scuba divers are moving to mirrorless to reduce the weight and size of the rig. The camera is heavy and the scuba housing is also heavy to stop all water intrusions with deep dives. Plus I use 2 large strobes for better color.
I simply can’t carry all this weight around anymore. Even the young guys want something smaller; not Sony small but not 1dx big either.

I am very excited for the R sports body. I Hope that canon will bring their ergonomics to the table and the guts of the Mark 3. It should be terrific.

Upvote 0
Well spotted. Thank you. Do not try this at home, kids. :):LOL:

A master of the sea he is...gotta know your reef and swell for this...as soon as I saw it, it made the rear middle section of me tingle :LOL: Usually the surf photogs use a shield for the spray...seeing US$17,000 on a jetski breezing....and he also has to navigate:oops: left eye OVF...right eye waves

Last edited:
  • Wow
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I believe he materials mentioned that mirror slap noise was reduced but it’s hard to guess if the sound in the promo video represents the real thing.
Pretty sure that some reviewers will come up with measurements soon. For wildlife, a quieter shutter/mirror slap in the fast mode would be great.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I almost wonder if it sounds quieter (I heard it sound quieter in other videos too) because it is doing so many frames consecutively that the ear perceives it as just continuous.
Noticed that too, but saw a 1000 fps video of the shutter and mirror moving, and it’s MUCH more stable and accurate and I didn’t see any wobble, so I guess that would help.

Upvote 0