Caution: Sandisk SD Card Issue with 5D Mark IV

bsbeamer said:
wockawocka said:
I've had an issue with Card 2 - Sandisk 256gb Extreme Pro on Cam #1

Removed and reinserted and it was fine for the rest of the day. Sadly it's the end of the season so I'll not be putting enough frames through it to do a proper test. I am getting lockups the more I use the body and I don't know if it's specifically this #1 or if it's both yet.

Was Cam #1 a Canon 5D4 or another camera?

Mk4

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ricky_005 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Good to know, thanks. Might be worth a call to Canon to inform them; IIRC something similar happened with CFast and the 1DX II and a firmware update fixed it.

Explain your logic?

Why would you call Canon when its very apparent it was a defective Sandisk SD card?

Canon is supposed to update their Firmware every time a card maker makes a card that is working improperly. This has already been established with the 1DX II when Sandisk CFast cards were not in spec. Canon issues a work around firmware update to bypass the card issue.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3307797076/canon-warns-against-use-of-sandisk-cfast-cards-with-eos-1d-x-mark-ii

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
ricky_005 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Good to know, thanks. Might be worth a call to Canon to inform them; IIRC something similar happened with CFast and the 1DX II and a firmware update fixed it.

Explain your logic?

Why would you call Canon when its very apparent it was a defective Sandisk SD card?

Canon is supposed to update their Firmware every time a card maker makes a card that is working improperly. This has already been established with the 1DX II when Sandisk CFast cards were not in spec. Canon issues a work around firmware update to bypass the card issue.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3307797076/canon-warns-against-use-of-sandisk-cfast-cards-with-eos-1d-x-mark-ii

According to Canon customer service, the engineers are currently looking at the situation. They will contact me again when there is an update. I recall it being several months with the 1DX II. Honestly, does not make me feel any better even using the V30 SD cards that currently do function. May be sticking with CF and the older U3/C10 SD cards that are not V30...

Upvote 0
Act444 said:
I've been using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD with no issues (so far, knock on wood). Have you tried the card in another 5D4 to confirm whether it is an issue with the camera or just that specific unit?

Is the 64GB SD card labeled as "V30" or is it just U3/Class 10 (C10)? I have been able to use non-V30 cards without any issues in the 5D4.

The card is no longer in my possession, but yes - I was able to fully use the card in a Canon 70D without any issues. Based on that and a few other reports I've heard so far, it looks like it may be an issue with the 5D4.

Upvote 0

tungchihyu

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2016
bsbeamer said:
tungchihyu said:
So i am traveling in Kyoto right now... I also have the Sandisk V30 card (64GB), I have experienced this card problem total twice in 4 days of using.

How many Sandisk V30 cards do you own?
Was it the same card that had an issue each time?

I only have 1 Sandisk V30 card.

Upvote 0
tungchihyu said:
bsbeamer said:
tungchihyu said:
So i am traveling in Kyoto right now... I also have the Sandisk V30 card (64GB), I have experienced this card problem total twice in 4 days of using.

Do you have non-V30 Sandisk SD cards, or is this your only SD card? If you do have other cards, do any of those have this issue?

Upvote 0

tungchihyu

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2016
bsbeamer said:
tungchihyu said:
bsbeamer said:
tungchihyu said:

I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro UDMA 7 64gb CF card - all good.
I also have a Sandisk Extreme 64GB card (90MB/s), will try it out tmr.

I have shot all day today with the V30 Extreme Pro, did not experience this problem today, so it happens really randomly.

Do you have non-V30 Sandisk SD cards, or is this your only SD card? If you do have other cards, do any of those have this issue?

Upvote 0
tungchihyu said:

I have shot all day today with the V30 Extreme Pro, did not experience this problem today, so it happens really randomly.

Thanks for the update. I have not run into this issue with any of my 64GB CF (UDMA 7) or any of my 64GB SD U3/C10 cards. The issue only happens with the new 128GB V30/U3/C10 SD cards. Since you are also having this issue with 64GB V30 cards, I am going to assume it's an issue with the V30 spec.

Looks like I will be picking up some 128GB CF cards in the near future since I cannot 100% rely on the 128GB V30 SD cards in the 5D4 until this issue is acknowledged by Canon and addressed. Hopefully the Lexar 1066x 160MB/s UDMA 7 CF cards are reliable.

Upvote 0
tron said:
Here is the sandisk link for compatibility check for 4D4

http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=22974

The new V30 cards are not listed!

Speaking with B&H, they stated that the Sandisk list had not been updated in quite some time. In fact, I cannot find a V30 card recommended for ANY product on their list.

B&H also said the SDSDXXG-128G-ANCIN was a direct replacement for SDSDXP-128G-A46, which is no longer being manufactured or sold. Without explicitly saying so, this was supposed to just be a re-label and they are being sold along with the 5D4 in packages.

Is it complete BS on their part just to sell more cards? Who knows...

Attachments

• sc.png
    sc.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
bsbeamer said:
tungchihyu said:

Thanks for the update. I have not run into this issue with any of my 64GB CF (UDMA 7) or any of my 64GB SD U3/C10 cards. The issue only happens with the new 128GB V30/U3/C10 SD cards. Since you are also having this issue with 64GB V30 cards, I am going to assume it's an issue with the V30 spec.

Looks like I will be picking up some 128GB CF cards in the near future since I cannot 100% rely on the 128GB V30 SD cards in the 5D4 until this issue is acknowledged by Canon and addressed. Hopefully the Lexar 1066x 160MB/s UDMA 7 CF cards are reliable.

I've been using a Lexar 1066X / 32MB / VPG-65 / UDMA 7 / 160MB/s (read speed) / LCF32GCRBNA1066 since I purchased it from amazon back in April 2016 with absolutely zero issues. It is used primarily in a 7D Mark II and 5D Mark III.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
To day I was shooting on the field with 5D4 raws in CF and Jpegs in SD. All cards were Sandisk Extreme Pro.

CF was the 64GB 150/160 MB/sec Udma 7 and SD was the NON V30: 64GB 95mb/sec U3

Taken from my Amazon order:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card up to 95MB/s Read FFP (SDSDXPA-064G-FFP)

My camera froze with error 02 (if I recall correctly because I was in the middle of shooting so I was very frustrated). I waited for a few seconds and then switched to my 7D2 (anyway I was shooting birds so 7D2 was fine).

But this was my second 5D4. I had shot a few hundreds with my 1st 5D4 same cards, same Raw+jpeg split to 2 cards and I did not have a problem. So I kind of feel stupid. That camera's serial number started with 03. My current's 5D4 serial starts with 04 (in case someone is interested).

Now I have low level formatted the sd card and then formatted it once more (non low level). But this is BS. My other 2 5D3s and 7D2 never had a problem with these (same vendor & type) sd cards.

After a few of hours when I wanted to switch to my 5D4 again I changed it to use Compact Flash only. I did not experience any problem with CF only.

Upvote 0
tron said:
To day I was shooting on the field with 5D4 raws in CF and Jpegs in SD. All cards were Sandisk Extreme Pro.

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card up to 95MB/s Read FFP (SDSDXPA-064G-FFP)

My camera froze with error 02 (if I recall correctly because I was in the middle of shooting so I was very frustrated). I waited for a few seconds and then switched to my 7D2 (anyway I was shooting birds so 7D2 was fine).

But this was my second 5D4. I had shot a few hundreds with my 1st 5D4 same cards, same Raw+jpeg split to 2 cards and I did not have a problem. So I kind of feel stupid. That camera's serial number started with 03. My current's 5D4 serial starts with 04 (in case someone is interested).

Now I have low level formatted the sd card and then formatted it once more (non low level). But this is BS. My other 2 5D3s and 7D2 never had a problem with these (same vendor & type) sd cards.

After a few of hours when I wanted to switch to my 5D4 again I changed it to use Compact Flash only. I did not experience any problem with CF only.

It's been frustrating, to say the least. CF seems to be the reliable card slot until this issue is addressed, but that is not what I purchased. I will pass along the additional information to the Canon people I have been in contact with about this case.

Couple of questions:

Was the Amazon order fulfilled by Amazon? Or was this an order of a card shipped and sold by Amazon as the seller?

You have two 5D4 bodies in your possession, correct? Are they able to READ each other's cards (shoot CF & SD in body 1, insert into body 2 to review and reverse)?

Have you looked at the firmware version on both cameras by any chance? I'd assume they would be the same, but maybe not? Any differences in the metadata between the two that you have noticed?

Upvote 0
Michael Clark said:
I've been using a Lexar 1066X / 32MB / VPG-65 / UDMA 7 / 160MB/s (read speed) / LCF32GCRBNA1066 since I purchased it from amazon back in April 2016 with absolutely zero issues. It is used primarily in a 7D Mark II and 5D Mark III.

Thank you for the info. Has anyone been using these cards in the 5D4?

I am past my 30-day return window on the 5D4 so I'm "stuck" with the camera at this point. I cannot reliably use SD cards with it until the issue is addressed, so will need to be picking up more CF cards for upcoming client work.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
bsbeamer said:
tron said:

It's been frustrating, to say the least. CF seems to be the reliable card slot until this issue is addressed, but that is not what I purchased. I will pass along the additional information to the Canon people I have been in contact with about this case.

Couple of questions:

Was the Amazon order fulfilled by Amazon? Or was this an order of a card shipped and sold by Amazon as the seller?

You have two 5D4 bodies in your possession, correct? Are they able to READ each other's cards (shoot CF & SD in body 1, insert into body 2 to review and reverse)?

Have you looked at the firmware version on both cameras by any chance? I'd assume they would be the same, but maybe not? Any differences in the metadata between the two that you have noticed?
hello, I have ONE body only. Both previous and current body were running firmware 1.02.
All my amazon.de sandisk purchases are bought from Amazon as a seller (Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.)
I have bought many Sandisk extreme pro compact flash and sd cards and all run perfectly (ZERO issues) on my 2 5DMkIII and 1 7DMkII cameras (as well as the Compact flash on my 5DMkIV camera). I can see no reason to return my camera since the banding issue can be alleviated by DxO 11.3.0 so it becomes a non issue (I will test it my self but I trust the formu member who found out) and the batch will be similar. My second camera's box has a date of Oct 15 (the first one had a date Sep 7). I highly doubt there will be a difference with a third body (towards the positive or negative side)...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
bsbeamer said:
Michael Clark said:

Thank you for the info. Has anyone been using these cards in the 5D4?

I am past my 30-day return window on the 5D4 so I'm "stuck" with the camera at this point. I cannot reliably use SD cards with it until the issue is addressed, so will need to be picking up more CF cards for upcoming client work.
The latest 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro Compact flash works flawlessly in my 5D4.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
The latest 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro Compact flash works flawlessly in my 5D4.

I haven't seen anyone reporting issues with CF cards, have you?
No it's perfect. I didn't say anything different. OP has asked about CF and I replied. I have used sandisk CF cards with 100% success on 40D, 5D2, 5D3, 7D2, 5D4.

Upvote 0