Caution: Sandisk SD Card Issue with 5D Mark IV

Jul 21, 2010
tron said:
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
The latest 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro Compact flash works flawlessly in my 5D4.

I haven't seen anyone reporting issues with CF cards, have you?
No it's perfect. I didn't say anything different. OP has asked about CF and I replied. I have used sandisk CF cards with 100% success on 40D, 5D2, 5D3, 7D2, 5D4.

The OP didn't 'ask about CF', but rather stated (several times) an intent to use only CF because those are reliable. Thus your comment seemed tangential, but confirmation is always nice.

Upvote 0
tron said:
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:

No it's perfect. I didn't say anything different. OP has asked about CF and I replied. I have used sandisk CF cards with 100% success on 40D, 5D2, 5D3, 7D2, 5D4.

Correct - there have not been any reports of issues with CF on the 5D4 that I am aware of. Which is why I am looking to purchase additional CF cards so I can continue to use the 5D4 on client work. Past my 30-day return window on the camera and it needs to be used vs. sitting on a shelf waiting for an update...

I've been using Sandisk memory card products almost exclusively for 10+ years now. This is the first time I've encountered an issue with any of their cards. And at this point I'm fairly certain it was a camera issue with the SD card slot and firmware, not an issue with the card.

Only was considering the Lexar 1066x UDMA7 CF cards (LCF128CRBNA1066) because of the price. Lexar has a good reputation and is $100/128GB vs $145/128GB for the Sandisk SDCFXPS-128G-A46. When looking at purchasing multiple cards, it becomes a factor.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:

The OP didn't 'ask about CF', but rather stated (several times) an intent to use only CF because those are reliable. Thus your comment seemed tangential, but confirmation is always nice.
I am not a native English speaker and I may miss something.

He said: Hopefully the Lexar 1066x 160MB/s UDMA 7 CF cards are reliable.

Since I don't have any Lexar cards maybe I shouldn't comment at all. However, another member commented on the specific card (lexar) being used in different cameras (not 5D4) so I thought it wouldn't harm to mention a totally positive experience about a specific CF card that I have used with my 5D4. That's all :)

Upvote 0
tron said:
Since I didn't have any Lexar cards maybe I shouldn't comment at all. However, another member commented on the specific card (lexar) being used in different cameras (not 5D4) so I thought it wouldn't harm to mention a totally positive experience about a specific CF card that I have used with my 5D4. That's all :)

I appreciated the feedback - thank you!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Can we compare the (fist two for example) serial numbers of the cameras with sd issues?

Mine starts with 04 (October make). The point here is the previous camera started with 03 (September make).
Nothing scientific but if these numbers are different (even start with 05) then there is no point in replacement. If they are the same then probably (AND ONLY PROBABLY) we have something....

Upvote 0
tron said:
Can we compare the (fist two for example) serial numbers of the cameras with sd issues?

Mine starts with 03. Issue appears to be with new V30 SD cards only, it seems.

According to support, Canon engineers are still working on this and have no update. If you're experiencing issues and are outside of your return window, I would suggest at least opening a ticket with Canon so you can have your issue documented.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
bsbeamer said:
tron said:

Mine starts with 03. Issue appears to be with new V30 SD cards only, it seems.

According to support, Canon engineers are still working on this and have no update. If you're experiencing issues and are outside of your return window, I would suggest at least opening a ticket with Canon so you can have your issue documented.
Thanks for the answer. It is my 2nd camera and I am not sure it can be reproduced other than shooting a lot and observing. I do not know if the dealer will accept a second swap or if there is any meaning in the sense that since this is an issue not confined to one batch it is almost certain it may happen in the 3rd camera (which will probably be from the same 04 batch)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tron said:
A difference in the incident with my card (sandisc extreme pro 64gb non v30 as mentioned earlier): it was an error 02 during shooting that froze my camera. A format (low level or not) always works and the card can be used again. I just lost confidence in SD port.

What makes you think it's the camera, as opposed to the SD card?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
A difference in the incident with my card (sandisc extreme pro 64gb non v30 as mentioned earlier): it was an error 02 during shooting that froze my camera. A format (low level or not) always works and the card can be used again. I just lost confidence in SD port.

What makes you think it's the camera, as opposed to the SD card?
It has worked flawlessly on my 7D2 up to now saving thousands of pictures (my 7D2 has taken more shots than my 2 5D3 and my previous 5D2 combined). Not all were saved on sd card I admit but half of them were for sure.
EDIT: With previous format of course. A day after the incident I put it back, low level formatted it and then formatted again. I have setup my 5D4 again to record raw in cf and jpeg on sd to test this weekend...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tron said:
It has worked flawlessly on my 7D2 up to now saving thousands of pictures (my 7D2 has taken more shots than my 2 5D3 and my previous 5D2 combined). Not all were saved on sd card I admit but half of them were for sure.
EDIT: With previous format of course. A day after the incident I put it back, low level formatted it and then formatted again. I have setup my 5D4 again to record raw in cf and jpeg on sd to test this weekend...

Sounds like you're jumping to a conclusion. Leaping, actually. Err02 is a memory card error. Cards fail, and a defective SD port is not the most likely possibility here. Now, if you try multiple cards and get the same error, the slot is a reasonable explanation...but not for what is, so far as you've explained, a one-off issue with a single card.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:

Sounds like you're jumping to a conclusion. Leaping, actually. Err02 is a memory card error. Cards fail, and a defective SD port is not the most likely possibility here. Now, if you try multiple cards and get the same error, the slot is a reasonable explanation...but not for what is, so far as you've explained, a one-off issue with a single card.
Yes it is a one off that's why I will try again. I so much prefer the card to be the culprit. I have exchanged a 5D4 once and I do not want to do it again if I do not have to (better take pictures than put myself and the seller to stress and wait).

But I never had any issues with Sandisk extreme cards up to now and suddenly that happens after the first few clicks with my 5D4 after a (not exactly same but) similar issue is reported so you must admit it is a strange coincidence. Possible of course but quite a coincidence!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:

Thanks to the current deals on memory cards I've ordered a replacement 256gb to run on cam 1. If it still flags up then there's a camera issue but I won't know this until the end of December when I've got two weddings.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
wockawocka said:
bsbeamer said:
wockawocka said:
I've had an issue with Card 2 - Sandisk 256gb Extreme Pro on Cam #1

Removed and reinserted and it was fine for the rest of the day. Sadly it's the end of the season so I'll not be putting enough frames through it to do a proper test. I am getting lockups the more I use the body and I don't know if it's specifically this #1 or if it's both yet.

Was Cam #1 a Canon 5D4 or another camera?

Mk4
Can you tell us the first two digits of the camera's serial number? Mine is 04.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
bsbeamer said:
Act444 said:
I've been using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD with no issues (so far, knock on wood). Have you tried the card in another 5D4 to confirm whether it is an issue with the camera or just that specific unit?

Is the 64GB SD card labeled as "V30" or is it just U3/Class 10 (C10)? I have been able to use non-V30 cards without any issues in the 5D4.

No - just regular U3/C10.

That's interesting though - I would have thought that "V30" was just a simple designation/spec, as opposed to an actual change in the physical media - in other words, V30 and non-V30 (but still U3/C10) cards would be the same... Unless SanDisk felt the need to tinker with things with the newest generation of cards to meet the new standard? (edit: a Google search suggests that this isn't the case)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Act444 said:
bsbeamer said:
Act444 said:
I've been using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD with no issues (so far, knock on wood). Have you tried the card in another 5D4 to confirm whether it is an issue with the camera or just that specific unit?

Is the 64GB SD card labeled as "V30" or is it just U3/Class 10 (C10)? I have been able to use non-V30 cards without any issues in the 5D4.

No - just regular U3/C10.

That's interesting though - I would have thought that "V30" was just a simple designation/spec, as opposed to an actual change in the physical media - in other words, V30 and non-V30 (but still U3/C10) cards would be the same... Unless SanDisk felt the need to tinker with things with the newest generation of cards to meet the new standard? (edit: a Google search suggests that this isn't the case)
I would rather have an all or nothing issue. Now I do not feel comfortable. And yes it was a one off but I know my sandisk extreme pro cards have never exhibited any issues with the other cameras. I have ordered a different sd card (samsung pro+ 64gb) to test if I will get any issue...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Some thoughts. Maybe I could make it a little more scientific by running some write tests.

I do not have a specific program but I could connect it to a pc and transfer 55+ GB of data. I know it is not 100% conclusive but at least I would write all the flash memory of the sd card. I remember memory test programs that used to test memory by writing various bit patterns. I do not know of such utilities for flash cards (but I haven't searched yet anyway).

Upvote 0