Caution: Sandisk SD Card Issue with 5D Mark IV

Act444 said:
UPDATE: Received my new card and initiated a test read/write with my 5D4 with no issue.

Long term issues though, jury's still out.

What do you mean by long term issues? Are you not sure how it will perform over the long term? Or are you experiencing something that makes you believe there will be an issue long term?

Upvote 0
tron said:
I got a Samsung PRO+ 64GB SDXC card. I have used it 2 days. Up to now I have not encountered any issues. I know it is too early just wishing to update. Anyway right now I have rather a sufficient set of cards so I will not get any more (until that 5DsRMkII at least ;D )

My older Sandisk 64GB SD cards seem to be fine. Just updated the firmware, so maybe it'll help.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
bsbeamer said:
tron said:
I got a Samsung PRO+ 64GB SDXC card. I have used it 2 days. Up to now I have not encountered any issues. I know it is too early just wishing to update. Anyway right now I have rather a sufficient set of cards so I will not get any more (until that 5DsRMkII at least ;D )

My older Sandisk 64GB SD cards seem to be fine. Just updated the firmware, so maybe it'll help.
I believe my incident with non v30 sandisk was one off and that's it. Up to now I have taken hundreds of photos with no issues (at least with my new Samsung card). When it fills I will start alternating my other sandisk sd cards to test them.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
bsbeamer said:
Act444 said:
UPDATE: Received my new card and initiated a test read/write with my 5D4 with no issue.

Long term issues though, jury's still out.

What do you mean by long term issues? Are you not sure how it will perform over the long term? Or are you experiencing something that makes you believe there will be an issue long term?

Well, if I recall, a couple folks up thread complained of occasional camera lockup when using these cards...

The card appears to function completely normally so far though. Definitely not experiencing what the OP did, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add, I had the same problem with this card:

dQqvErQ.jpg

I currently have a 5DMKIV on 1.0.2

Card is authentic. Used the card previously in my MK3, 6D, + 7DMK2 with no issues.

Upvote 0
gutter said:
Just wanted to add, I had the same problem with this card:

I currently have a 5DMKIV on 1.0.2

Card is authentic. Used the card previously in my MK3, 6D, + 7DMK2 with no issues.

Can you please clarify what problem(s) you are having exactly? There seems to be two different issues at the moment - one being completely non-functional (unable to format/reformat the card in 5D4) and the other that causes issues when using (able to format/reformat the card in 5D4).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tron said:
I know my sandisk extreme pro cards have never exhibited any issues with the other cameras. I have ordered a different sd card (samsung pro+ 64gb) to test if I will get any issue...

Cards are made in batches using memory and controllers made in batches. Its entirely possible to produce a marginal batch of cards. If a marginal card meets a camera that is using a faster clock speed, for example, then occasional glitches can happen. The fact that the card works on your other camera is no guarantee that it will work on a newer one that may push a card harder.

This type of issue can be very difficult to detect, because another batch may be a little faster and never have a issue. Not all cards of the same part number are the same, there is variance.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
bsbeamer said:
tron said:
FYI, the 64GB Extreme Pro Sandisk SD card (95MB/sec) was OK with (my now returned for other reason) EOS 5D Mark IV.

Yes, I have 20+ 64GB SD cards (Sandisk Extreme & Extreme Pro) that all work fine with the 5D4.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who can't seem to stop buying 64GB Extreme Pro's :D

This is definitely my favorite SD card.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Talys said:
bsbeamer said:
tron said:
FYI, the 64GB Extreme Pro Sandisk SD card (95MB/sec) was OK with (my now returned for other reason) EOS 5D Mark IV.

Yes, I have 20+ 64GB SD cards (Sandisk Extreme & Extreme Pro) that all work fine with the 5D4.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who can't seem to stop buying 64GB Extreme Pro's :D

This is definitely my favorite SD card.
I found something better than that: The 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card ;D

Upvote 0