Cheap 400mm advice

Hey guys I was wondering which would be better for achieving ~ 400mm focal length with the M. I would like to take some occasional pics of the moon. I've done it before and found 400mm to be long enough with a bit of cropping.

Option 1 - use my existing 70-200 f/4L IS and buy the Kenko 1.4x plus the EF adapter. Should be less than $200. Or Canon 1.4x II (used) for a little more.

Option 2 - buy the EF-S 55-250 STM plus EF adatptor. Total cost around $400.

Just wondering which option would yield the best results. L lens plus extender vs EF-S? Anyone have experience with either of these combos?

I like option 1 as it means I can also use the 1.4x with my 135L and it's FF compatible (plus cheaper).

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
I'd suggest a Canon TC. As you rightfully pointed out, this means your new purchase is also good to go with your other Canon kit.

There doesn't appear to be much in it between the two when it comes to resolving detail:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=404&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=1&LensComp=856&CameraComp=736&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1

But of course the 70-200 and 1.4 combo has more reach, and it gives you options with your 5D2 - 70-200/TC and 135/TC, whereas for you, buying the EF-S lens is a one horse trick.

The 2x TC will potentially resolve more detail than the 1.4x and cropping, but the lack of AF on either of your bodies with the 70-200 and the images the 135 would produce make it largely worth ignoring for any purposes other than shooting distance objects using the M with manual focusing.

Upvote 0
rs said:
I'd suggest a Canon TC. As you rightfully pointed out, this means your new purchase is also good to go with your other Canon kit.

There doesn't appear to be much in it between the two when it comes to resolving detail:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=404&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=1&LensComp=856&CameraComp=736&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1

But of course the 70-200 and 1.4 combo has more reach, and it gives you options with your 5D2 - 70-200/TC and 135/TC, whereas for you, buying the EF-S lens is a one horse trick.

The 2x TC will potentially resolve more detail than the 1.4x and cropping, but the lack of AF on either of your bodies with the 70-200 and the images the 135 would produce make it largely worth ignoring for any purposes other than shooting distance objects using the M with manual focusing.

Thanks! I never knew you could use teleconvertors for TDPs lens image quality comparison tool! Yeah theres not much difference, though the EF-S seemed to be slightly better in the centre. A little PP sharpening should sort that out. Yeah I think I already answered my own question but still good to hear it from someone else!

So you don't recommend the Kenko adaptor? Any reason for that? I feel like the Canon is over priced a bit. And for my purposes v2 should suffice right?

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Zv said:
So you don't recommend the Kenko adaptor? Any reason for that? I feel like the Canon is over priced a bit. And for my purposes v2 should suffice right?

I have no experience with the Kenco adaptor, but from what I understand, the Canon is optically better and likely to carry on working well with all future (TC compatible) lenses, bodies and firmware updates that you might find yourself using in the future. That certainly can't be said of third party products, although due to the Kencos compromised optical design it doesn't have an element which pokes inside the rear of the lens, allowing it to physically mount to many Canon lenses which aren't designed to work with TC's.

Here's a comparison of the mk II and the mk III 1.4x TC with a 70-200/4 IS on FF:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=404&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=5&API=1&LensComp=404&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=0

The corners are improved with the mk III, everything else looks quite similar to me. As for the performance on the EOS M, unfortunately this tool doesn't have the mk II TC samples on crop. The extreme FF corners are a non-issue with the crop sensor, but the higher pixel density might reveal some differences not visible in this comparison.

Upvote 0
rs said:
Zv said:

I have no experience with the Kenco adaptor, but from what I understand, the Canon is optically better and likely to carry on working well with all future (TC compatible) lenses, bodies and firmware updates that you might find yourself using in the future. That certainly can't be said of third party products, although due to the Kencos compromised optical design it doesn't have an element which pokes inside the rear of the lens, allowing it to physically mount to many Canon lenses which aren't designed to work with TC's.

Here's a comparison of the mk II and the mk III 1.4x TC with a 70-200/4 IS on FF:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=404&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=5&API=1&LensComp=404&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=0

The corners are improved with the mk III, everything else looks quite similar to me. As for the performance on the EOS M, unfortunately this tool doesn't have the mk II TC samples on crop. The extreme FF corners are a non-issue with the crop sensor, but the higher pixel density might reveal some differences not visible in this comparison.

Corner performance isn't a priority I'll be using the center more than likely. I guess the extra cost for the Canon extender over the Kenko is worth it if it is optically better.

Upvote 0
Maybe not the direct answer to your question, but:

- For best moon pics, you would need much more focal lenght than 400mm eqiv
- you need best athmospheric consitions possibe
- you should do stacking to minimize athmospheric blur
- The moon stays the same, means you need one good opportunity, and you wont get it better anymore

So my suggestion:

- Rent the longest lens you can afford for some days, ad a 2x converter, add a matching tripod and head
- go to a better athmospheric place than your town
- inform how to do the stacking of the biggest amount of pics y can take,and how you have to take them (i dont know)

means for total 1000$ you should get breathtaking pictures of the moon, depending on where you live and what lens you can afford to rent

I would not buy any equipment for shootig the moon only.....

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
hendrik-sg said:

Yes, in all fairness, the longest lens you can get is the best for the moon - unless it's just going to be part of the frame. I've shot the moon with the 40D and a 1000mm telescope. The telescope came with an M42 mount which replaces the eyepiece, so a simple M42 to EOS adapter was the final piece of the jigsaw.

However, even with a 1600mm equivalent focal length, it still took a bit of cropping to get it tight. A 1.4x TC might have done the job. There were no end of issues though - street lights, the moon racing across the frame (a fast shutter speed is a must), and the equatorial mount wobbling all over the place when walking nearby. I found tethered shooting through the USB cable from the laptop with EOS utility to be about the best - it allowed me to avoid shaking the setup and get the focus right at 100% on a big screen. And then I was left with horrendous CA, but it was nothing that only using the green channel and turning it into a B&W image can't fix.

Either stick with the TC option as while it's compromised for shooting the moon, it gives you plenty of other genuine shooting options, use a telescope (if you know someone with one, even better), or to get the best optical quality, simply buy that 1200/5.6 that's appeared on ebay.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Why do you want to take photos of the moon, especially low resolution ones? If all you want is the moon,
here are some images from when I was comparing lenses on the 5DIII and the SX50. You would do much better with the SX50 than a moderate 400mm on the 5DIII. The 600 (300mm/2.8 II + 2xTC) was the best for me. From top to bottom 100-400mm, SX50 at nominal 1200mm, 600mm, and Tamron 150-600 at 600mm. (The Tamron was taken, obviously, at a different time, and under more hazy conditions and at a poorer phase for seeing detail).

Attachments

• 100-400mm_2878.jpg
    100-400mm_2878.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,368
  • SX50_0512.jpg
    SX50_0512.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,374
  • 600mm_2872.jpg
    600mm_2872.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 5DIII_Moon_0397_Tamron600mm.jpg
    5DIII_Moon_0397_Tamron600mm.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,392
Upvote 0
hendrik-sg said:
Maybe not the direct answer to your question, but:

- you need best athmospheric consitions possibe
- you should do stacking to minimize athmospheric blur
- The moon stays the same, means you need one good opportunity, and you wont get it better anymore

So my suggestion:

- Rent the longest lens you can afford for some days, ad a 2x converter, add a matching tripod and head
- go to a better athmospheric place than your town
- inform how to do the stacking of the biggest amount of pics y can take,and how you have to take them (i dont know)

means for total 1000$ you should get breathtaking pictures of the moon, depending on where you live and what lens you can afford to rent

I would not buy any equipment for shootig the moon only.....

Thanks. You are right I need to improve technique as well as getting the right gear. I don't plan on doing much of this, was really just for the casual moon shot. I was just trying to see the absolute cheapest way would be. The TC would serve dual purpose thus making it the ideal choice.

I am intrigued by this stacking thing. Can you point me in the right direction for that? Never done it before.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Why do you want to take photos of the moon, especially low resolution ones? If all you want is the moon,
here are some images from when I was comparing lenses on the 5DIII and the SX50. You would do much better with the SX50 than a moderate 400mm on the 5DIII. The 600 (300mm/2.8 II + 2xTC) was the best for me. From top to bottom 100-400mm, SX50 at nominal 1200mm, 600mm, and Tamron 150-600 at 600mm. (The Tamron was taken, obviously, at a different time, and under more hazy conditions and at a poorer phase for seeing detail).

Thanks for posting the images for comparison. Yeah I see your point but I just want to give it a bash. Not entering any competition or anything. Just practicing for the sake of it. I do want to try capturing the moon in different phases like you've demonstrated here. Like I said I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a 300 f/2.8 but rather wanted to just use what I have. Guess 400mm ish is not enough then. So you think the 2x extender then?

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Zv said:
AlanF said:

Thanks for posting the images for comparison. Yeah I see your point but I just want to give it a bash. Not entering any competition or anything. Just practicing for the sake of it. I do want to try capturing the moon in different phases like you've demonstrated here. Like I said I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a 300 f/2.8 but rather wanted to just use what I have. Guess 400mm ish is not enough then. So you think the 2x extender then?

If you're going to get a TC, only the 1.4x will have a genuine use with your lenses and bodies for day to day use. And the 2x won't be everything you need for the moon - to fill the frame you need somewhere in the region of 2000mm (FF). The 2x with a 70-200 on crop is only 640mm equivalent.

Here's what a cheap (even including the mount it's cheaper than a mk III TC) one metre telescope can do with a 40D, some cropping and PP:

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,349
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The best cheap way of getting 400mm is the Sigma 400mm f/5.6 apo tele macro. Some work only at f/5.6, others work stopped down. I had a good one which worked at all apertures cost me about £130 on eBay, but I recently sold it for about £375 on eBay, and someone got a really good lens. They are sharper than the 400. You can compare this shot with my previous - it's beaten only by my 600mm combo.

Attachments

• Sigm400mmCrop.jpg
    Sigm400mmCrop.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,273
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
How do you get the TC function to come up. I didn't know that was possible... and even now that I see it... I don't know how to replicate it.

Zv said:
rs said:

Thanks! I never knew you could use teleconvertors for TDPs lens image quality comparison tool! Yeah theres not much difference, though the EF-S seemed to be slightly better in the centre. A little PP sharpening should sort that out. Yeah I think I already answered my own question but still good to hear it from someone else!

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2014
I would suggest that you try your local astronomy club. There will definitely be some Astro-photgrapher members and they will probably be able to provide access to a telescope so that you can try eyepiece projection. You will probably have to buy a suitable 1.25" mount adaptor, but these can be had for $10.

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_EOS_T_Ring.html

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
jdramirez said:
How do you get the TC function to come up. I didn't know that was possible... and even now that I see it... I don't know how to replicate it.
Only some lenses have it. It's hidden away in the focal length drop down box. For almost every zoom lens tested with TC's, they're only tested at the long end of the zoom with a TC, so for example the 70-200 II is tested at various native lengths from 70 to 200, and then again at 280 and 400, which are the the lens at 200 and a 1.4x mk II and then 2x mk II. And then again at 280 and 400 for the mk III extenders.

Things get odd with the 200-400 due to its built in extender. Full explanation here, and when you get your head around it, you'll see there's no other way of presenting it with this tool without adding additional drop downs for TC's:

[quote author="The Digital Picture"]
There are some things you need to know about the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM Ext 1.4x Lens image quality test results. The built-in extender with external extender compatibility complicates complete image quality presentation of this lens in our tool. So, here is what I am showing:

The first tested copy of this lens is presented as two lens samples – sample "1" and "2". Sample "1" is tested at all focal lengths (including those with extenders) with the built-in extender switch set to 1.0x (not being used) with the only exception being the first of the two 560mm focal length tests – the one that indicates "1.4x Extender Int". Sample "2" results were all captured with the built-in extender in place – the switch was set to 1.4x with no exceptions. Sample "2" results showing one of the "III" extenders in use also had the built-in 1.4x in use. You will notice the ultra-high focal lengths in these results.

The second tested lens is presented identically as sample "3" and "4".
[/quote]
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-200-400mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Extender-1.4x-Lens-Review.aspx

Upvote 0
BobG said:
I would suggest that you try your local astronomy club. There will definitely be some Astro-photgrapher members and they will probably be able to provide access to a telescope so that you can try eyepiece projection. You will probably have to buy a suitable 1.25" mount adaptor, but these can be had for $10.

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Canon_EOS_T_Ring.html

Thanks that's really useful to know.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Hey guys I was wondering which would be better for achieving ~ 400mm focal length with the M. I would like to take some occasional pics of the moon. I've done it before and found 400mm to be long enough with a bit of cropping.

This question made me wonder how the EOS-M + Rokinon 300mm would do for moon pics. It's design is more like that of a common astronomical telescope than a conventional photography lens. So I went outside and took a quick test shot. ISO 100, on a tripod, cropped (of course) and some adjustments (levels, curves, clarity, saturation and sharpness) in LR.

Attachments

• _MG_6076_low_res_for_luf.jpg
    _MG_6076_low_res_for_luf.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 1,237
Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Zv said:

You want a LOT more focal length than 400mm to image the moon. I used an 840mm lens (EF 600mm f/4 L II w/ 1.4x TC) to produce this image:

I used the 7D and 600mm bare to produce this image:

The moon doesn't even fill the frame at 840mm on the 7D. It would be even smaller in a full frame camera. If your really interested in imaging the moon, you want AS MUCH focal length as you can get your hands on. I haven't tried it yet (well, I tried it, but I couldn't get the darn thing stable enough to actually take any images...I now have better gear, so maybe time to try), but I would be willing to bet that 1200mm and the 7D would STILL not result in the moon filling the frame entirely.

Upvote 0