Cleaning a bulbous front element

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Now that I have an ultra-wide-angle lens with a bulbous front element on the way, I'm thinking about how I will care for that semi-sphere of coated glass.

Since purchasing my first quality lenses back in 2005, I've had the habit, for better or worse, of using UV filters to protect them. Over time I did learn to remove the filter when shooting with harsh backlighting or side-lighting, but I've kept the UV filters on 90% of the time outdoors.

Because of salt-spray, the beach is one place I've always kept the UV filter attached, but there is no doubt that I will need to clean that bulbous beauty from time to time after trips to the beach.

I like the idea of Purosol and microfiber and/or Kimwipes. (Have I gone off track already?) But I don't understand how Purosol works--if it does. We use up plenty of Zeiss spray in our home, but mostly for eyeglasses.

And of course when I clean my lenses, I'm 99% of the time cleaning the UV filters.

What works without affecting the lens coating? What works for typical dust and light grime, and what would be needed for more stubborn sticky stuff, such as tree sap?

Finally, has anybody invested in an air-compressor that blows clean without using propellants?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
Now that I have an ultra-wide-angle lens with a bulbous front element on the way, I'm thinking about how I will care for that semi-sphere of coated glass.

Since purchasing my first quality lenses back in 2005, I've had the habit, for better or worse, of using UV filters to protect them. Over time I did learn to remove the filter when shooting with harsh backlighting or side-lighting, but I've kept the UV filters on 90% of the time outdoors.

Because of salt-spray, the beach is one place I've always kept the UV filter attached, but there is no doubt that I will need to clean that bulbous beauty from time to time after trips to the beach.

I like the idea of Purosol and microfiber and/or Kimwipes. (Have I gone off track already?) But I don't understand how Purosol works--if it does. We use up plenty of Zeiss spray in our home, but mostly for eyeglasses.

And of course when I clean my lenses, I'm 99% of the time cleaning the UV filters.

What works without affecting the lens coating? What works for typical dust and light grime, and what would be needed for more stubborn sticky stuff, such as tree sap?

Finally, has anybody invested in an air-compressor that blows clean without using propellants?

Thank you!
On my EF 11-24/4, I use a rocket blower first then an LensPen (brush - carbon pad - brush), then a final blow-off with the rocket blower. That takes care of dust and fingerprints (oops, my bad!), I haven't ever gotten anything on a front element that required a solvent to remove.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I've used purosol in the past. It seems to "work" in that any smudges come up easily without much pressure at all. I'm sure the coatings are far more durable than my mind lets me believe, but I try my hardest to avoid spraying anything on the glass or touching the glass in any way.

I have a small rubber "squeeze bulb/blower" that seems to work about 95% of the time for any debris. Next I resort to a basic lens brush (obviously with very soft bristles) if anything needs to get dislodged. As a last resort I spray and wipe with microfiber.

What lens do you have on the way? 10-20mm?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've used purosol in the past. It seems to "work" in that any smudges come up easily without much pressure at all. I'm sure the coatings are far more durable than my mind lets me believe, but I try my hardest to avoid spraying anything on the glass or touching the glass in any way.

I have a small rubber "squeeze bulb/blower" that seems to work about 95% of the time for any debris. Next I resort to a basic lens brush (obviously with very soft bristles) if anything needs to get dislodged. As a last resort I spray and wipe with microfiber.

What lens do you have on the way? 10-20mm?
Yes, the 10-20mm.

Upvote 0
Yes, the 10-20mm.
Same. For whatever reason, I'm looking forward to this lens more than any other lens I've ever purchased.

Keeping that glass dome clean at the shore will be a feat. I'm usually less worried about removing the coating and more worried about dragging a particle of sand across the glass. I try to remind myself there are people out there recklessly abusing their glass and suffering no obvious defects in the output image, so maybe I'm being too cautious in my approach.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Same. For whatever reason, I'm looking forward to this lens more than any other lens I've ever purchased.

Keeping that glass dome clean at the shore will be a feat. I'm usually less worried about removing the coating and more worried about dragging a particle of sand across the glass. I try to remind myself there are people out there recklessly abusing their glass and suffering no obvious defects in the output image, so maybe I'm being too cautious in my approach.
Don't take it to the shore then.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Don't take it to the shore then.
Reminds me of my old days playing poker. (My wife put an end to that!) Some of the worst players at the table were the ones who had some pretty good skill but were playing well over their limit. They'd play too tight or they'd second-guess themselves to death.

I'm like that with gear sometimes. Then I relax and remember if I never take the gear out of the cabinet, it might as well be lost gear or destroyed gear, because I'm getting no use out of what I paid for.

The other poker analogy involves drinking. I learned pretty quickly not to play even after just a beer, and I've banged enough lenses into things after a drinky-poo to follow the same rule with pricey gear.

But I still get a little tense at the beach! Dove down to get an eye-level shot of a tortoise "racing" from one dune to another, and off to CPS went my EF 24-70mm f/2.8, making grinding sounds from salty sand that had gotten well into the zoom barrel. :D

• Haha
Upvote 0