Cold shoe recommendation for 600EX-RT

I'm finding it difficult to reliably attach my 600EX-RT's to generic cold shoes (e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743061-REG/Vello_CS_Universal_Accessory_Shoe_Mount.html/prm/alsVwDtl), and last week I had a flash slip off and hit the floor after I though it was tight. No damage, amazingly, but very worrying since these flashes aren't cheap!

Has anyone found a cold shoe that works well with Canon's quick-release mounts on the 600EX and 430EX-II? I didn't have this much trouble with my old 580EX and 430EX with the screw plates.

Thanks.

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
My light stands / umbrella brackets are all the rather pedestrian Impact brand, so the cold shoes are nothing special.

More to prevent electrical shorts (since the shoes are metal, probably aluminum), I've lined the inside of the shoes with some of that plasticky transparent shipping tape.

The beneficial unintended consequences of the tape are that the flash heads slide in and out of the shoes more easily, and also seem to stay more snugly in place when I tighten the set screws.

Upvote 0
Skirball said:
Well damn, I wasn't really planning on upgrading my cold shoes, but those RRS shoes look quite nice.

Yeah, they are. I just bought a set for my 600's based on recommendations here and they arrived today. The feet slide right in and lock down tight - exactly what I was hoping for to both speed up and secure attaching flashes to stands. Like everything RRS it would be great if they weren't 4x the price of competing kit, but you sure can't knock the quality and service.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I use the rrs cold shoe and it does the job well, and securely.

When the flash locks in, you know it is in.

sek.

wsheldon said:
Skirball said:
Well damn, I wasn't really planning on upgrading my cold shoes, but those RRS shoes look quite nice.

Yeah, they are. I just bought a set for my 600's based on recommendations here and they arrived today. The feet slide right in and lock down tight - exactly what I was hoping for to both speed up and secure attaching flashes to stands. Like everything RRS it would be great if they weren't 4x the price of competing kit, but you sure can't knock the quality and service.

Upvote 0