Concert Shots

meanstreak said:
I really enjoy shooting concerts. I do some work for a website and in turn often get a chance to get in to some pretty great shows. It also gives me a chance to really test the limits of the 6D ISO capabilities.

Excellent shots. The one of the keyboard player is particularly appealing, it's ermmm the composition I think :)

I really should look into a full frame body for concerts because those are really good shots.

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
mackguyver said:
cayenne said:
I thought this one was kind of neat....shot with the 14mm Rokinon manual lens.
That's a bold lens choice for a concert! The shot turned out really well, so it was a good idea for sure.

Thank you!

This was at Voodoo Fest a couple years ago in New Orleans. I was able to get on "staff" for the event..so, I was in the pit and this was one of the small stages and I was able to be very close and lean right on the stage for some of the shots. Also, for most of this there was none of this 3 songs and out thing....

This was my first gig ever shooting something like this. I didn't get paid, but for taking shots (and I can use them for my own self promotion) I got free admission, meals...and access virtually everywhere on the grounds.

It was a great fest and portfolio builder. I took over 3K shots..and really need to find the time to dig in there and start weeding through all of them and working on the gems a bit more with post....

C

dang, lucky...I would love to be able to shoot Voodoo fest!!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
eddywhitaker said:
cayenne said:
mackguyver said:
cayenne said:
I thought this one was kind of neat....shot with the 14mm Rokinon manual lens.
That's a bold lens choice for a concert! The shot turned out really well, so it was a good idea for sure.

Thank you!

This was at Voodoo Fest a couple years ago in New Orleans. I was able to get on "staff" for the event..so, I was in the pit and this was one of the small stages and I was able to be very close and lean right on the stage for some of the shots. Also, for most of this there was none of this 3 songs and out thing....

This was my first gig ever shooting something like this. I didn't get paid, but for taking shots (and I can use them for my own self promotion) I got free admission, meals...and access virtually everywhere on the grounds.

It was a great fest and portfolio builder. I took over 3K shots..and really need to find the time to dig in there and start weeding through all of them and working on the gems a bit more with post....

C

dang, lucky...I would love to be able to shoot Voodoo fest!!

Tell me about it...I got on from a recommendation from a friend who had shot with them for the past years. This was my first 'pro' type shooting. The guy in charge liked my stuff.....BUT..the next year, some other group took over for photography, and well, I think they ONLY let in their people, rather than using locals in the New Orleans area.

That sucked...but at least I have a few for my portfolio. Actually I shot like 3K images over 3 days...I really do need to go back through all of those, cull out bad shots and develop the good ones.

I'll try to dig up some more fun ones and post them here.

Upvote 0
Got some nice shots of Slash back in May -

33c3cc6.jpg

2j5nmhh.jpg

Upvote 0
Tried my hand at shooting at a gig. Codazepp, a local Led Zepp tribute band was playing at an intimate venue and I turned up at the door with my 5D MkII and a couple of lenses (24-105 f4 L IS and 70-200 f2.8 L IS II) and asked for permission to take a few photos and got it without hesitation.

Putting this out on the forum and will welcome comments.

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 465
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CanadianInvestor said:
Tried my hand at shooting at a gig. Codazepp, a local Led Zepp tribute band was playing at an intimate venue and I turned up at the door with my 5D MkII and a couple of lenses (24-105 f4 L IS and 70-200 f2.8 L IS II) and asked for permission to take a few photos and got it without hesitation.

Putting this out on the forum and will welcome comments.

Hmm....looks just like Jimmy Page!!
;)

Nice...do you have other shots of that show? If you want to do more shots of shows, you really might consider getting faster glass than f4, I know...I've run into the same thing. The 70-200 f2.8, however IS a good choice!! Likely as not, that one will be your work horse for this type thing.

If you are able to get close to the stage...I mean dead close or ON stage...I found my Rokinon 14mm f 2.8 wide lens gave some really cool perspective shots. It is cheap but a solid lens, about the only non-Canon lens I own.

But for the most part, I've decided I don't buy any more glass that is not f2.8 or faster....

Anyway, please post more shots!!

I need to dig around and find some more to post...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Here's one of Keb Mo, taken from the audience at the little local Blues Fest here in New Orleans, I think this was 2012.
I got right up close to the stage for this one...

The Second one is of Dr. John, at Voodoo Fest a couple years ago.

cayenne

Attachments

• 2012_10_BluesFest_2012_125.jpg
    2012_10_BluesFest_2012_125.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 379
  • 2013__dr_john_024.jpg
    2013__dr_john_024.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
Most recent show with Adventure Club in Knoxville
First 2 were shot with 70-200 II 2.8 IS
Third was shot with 24-70 II 2.8
*had to attach them as they arent uploaded on my flickr yet

Attachments

• 2015-0724-knoxville-nvnightclub-eddywhitaker-processed-112.jpg
    2015-0724-knoxville-nvnightclub-eddywhitaker-processed-112.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 376
  • 2015-0724-knoxville-nvnightclub-eddywhitaker-processed-104.jpg
    2015-0724-knoxville-nvnightclub-eddywhitaker-processed-104.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 349
  • 2015-0724-knoxville-nvnightclub-eddywhitaker-processed-105.jpg
    2015-0724-knoxville-nvnightclub-eddywhitaker-processed-105.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0
The first concert pictures with my new 7D MkII.
I was very interested to see how it performed in a low stage light situation.

First one is taken with EF50 1.4 at f1.4 ISO 1000 1/160 s.
Second one with Tamron 70-300 mm at f4.6 ISO 3200 1/100 s.
Both were hand held.

The singer/guitarist is Frank Engels playing with the german band EARWAXX. A lot more pictures (also with EF 100 mm f2.8 macro): https://www.facebook.com/Earwaxx.Band

I am quite happy with the results. What do you think?

Attachments

• _MG_1080.jpg
    _MG_1080.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 369
  • _MG_1324.jpg
    _MG_1324.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Some really nice shots in this thread! Great work!!

I recently got to do a mate's album launch. I used the 5D3 with the 16-35 and 70-200 as well as having the 60d with 50 1.8 as a back up body. I was warned that lighting from LED cans is horrible to deal with and it was - it really oversaturated the red channel to the point that it was often better to convert the shots to B&W.

Attachments

• Bliss Album Launch (33 of 72).jpg
    Bliss Album Launch (33 of 72).jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Bliss Album Launch (38 of 72).jpg
    Bliss Album Launch (38 of 72).jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Bliss Album Launch (59 of 72).jpg
    Bliss Album Launch (59 of 72).jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Roo said:
Some really nice shots in this thread! Great work!!

I recently got to do a mate's album launch. I used the 5D3 with the 16-35 and 70-200 as well as having the 60d with 50 1.8 as a back up body. I was warned that lighting from LED cans is horrible to deal with and it was - it really oversaturated the red channel to the point that it was often better to convert the shots to B&W.

LOL...yep, when all else fails, I go B&W....with some shots, it is really about the only way to salvage them.

C

Upvote 0