Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Sooner than one would expect. As we learned with the R5, announcements can be made at anytime. As with the XF3, this camera has already been perceived prototyped and not much really to be tested except for time characteristics. And how long does that take, a week? Expect this camera to be announced at the apportune timing for Canon. At this moment Canon is in the drivers seat.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Sooner than one would expect. As we learned with the R5, announcements can be made at anytime. And similar to the XF3, this camera has already been perceived prototyped and not much really to be tested except for time characteristics. And how long does that take, a week? Expect this camera to be announced at the apportune timing for Canon. At this moment Canon is in the drivers seat. Now that the consumer has realized that active cooling and a slight expansion in size to incorporate is reality, hopefully inroads can be made on a long awaited brighter and modern rear display. For those that can't stomach active cooling, it's not for you. However don't complain about stagnant technology and nothing but minor firmware algorithms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I am happy with the small size of the R5.
Tilta finally has a cage for the R5 but they have yet not made the Peltier cooler they teased.
It would be tough to decide between R5 + C70 or R5c but I would rather have a small camera and a Netflix-approved cinema camera than an uber-hybrid.
Size is the main reason that I never considered a 1DX.
If Canon were to make a 5Dc I could justify owning all three.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
Many R5 owners couldn't care less about the video "issues" with the R5. There hasn't been any real issues with the heating issues lately with the R5 right? Just media sites fishing for clickbait and Canon-haters looking to stir the pot.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
As an underwater photography, I was going to purchase the R5 but COVID put a hold on that since I'm not traveling anywhere or doing anything that would warrant a pricey investment of an R5, and the very expensive underwater housing for it. So I patiently wait and continue using my trusty 5DM3 which still provides stellar photos.

From an underwater photographer's perspective, it would be nice if Canon kept the R5's external dimensions and buttons the same so we can continue using our very expensive underwater housings which often cost more than the camera. Whatever camera I buy, it's for the long term.

And so I patiently wait.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would expect a R5c to command a significant premium over the R5
I’m sure it would, but depending on size and price I’d think it worthwhile for a camera that’s going to be relevant for a much longer period (working 8k vs. novelty 8k accents). If it’s $2,500 more and saves me from having to buy a new $3,000 camera in a couple of years (in future inflated dollars) then I’d say it’s money well spent.

But knowing myself I’d probably still buy the hypothetical future camera because I have a problem. I would go see an addiction counselor, but I can’t afford one. I spent all my money on fast glass.

Upvote 0
As an underwater photography, I was going to purchase the R5 but COVID put a hold on that since I'm not traveling anywhere or doing anything that would warrant a pricey investment of an R5, and the very expensive underwater housing for it. So I patiently wait and continue using my trusty 5DM3 which still provides stellar photos.

From an underwater photographer's perspective, it would be nice if Canon kept the R5's external dimensions and buttons the same so we can continue using our very expensive underwater housings which often cost more than the camera. Whatever camera I buy, it's for the long term.

And so I patiently wait.
A 5d sized R5 makes sense.

Upvote 0
No firmware is going to fix what was simply just a stupid lack of a proper cooper plate. I already measured it out and have one cnced. Moment my warranty is up I am slapping it in. If you do video at 4k hq the camera overheats very quickly. Luckily on social media with reg 4k and 75% sharpness added in premier and 4k crop mode, it still looks very good.
Can't you record 4KHQ externally without the overheating issue? Adding the copper plate will still have heating issues ie hot spots on the back and need the screen to be open and on a tripod.

Upvote 0

And so I patiently wait.
I made the plunge (!) and got the R5 and Ikelite housing for it. The R5 will be plenty sufficient for a long time. I tend to shoot 4k/120 short clips underwater only but mostly stills. I get that a R5c would be better for long form underwater video. The 5Diii/iv/SR can have the same housing - at least in the Ikelite range and I upgraded from 5Diii to 5Div okay. That in itself was a nice bump in performance. The R5 is a significant jump again. Just wish that my 100mm macro would stop focusing on particulate between me and the subject

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Many R5 owners couldn't care less about the video "issues" with the R5. There hasn't been any real issues with the heating issues lately with the R5 right? Just media sites fishing for clickbait and Canon-haters looking to stir the pot.
No. It’s getting the most out of the camera that you have with you. The sensor, body, and ecosystem are amazing with the R5. The silly, it’s not a cinema camera statement is just as old as the overheating commentary. It’s the software that consistently points to Canon missing how people would like to use the “DSLR” bodies.

Record limits, only recording to one slot, Clog2-3, hard to edit video codecs(no issue for me,M1), custom modes on the R6, for some reason switching to micro HDMI, the ibis wobble shooting wide, no control over ibis vs is being on, no 120fps In 1080, photo settings being video settings, no 10bit without shooting in log, I would love an auto white balance lock in both modes.....

It’s 2021, these are not cinema camera features, they are camera features. Canon is just behind in reacting. I’m a mostly photo guy, but the video is still creatively limiting where most new cameras are expanding for much less money.

I Have access to an A7siii and the colors are vastly improved from what I remember from the A7iii(green skin tones, Wb didn’t match). 12mp isn’t a huge down grade from 45, and really close to 20 if framed properly. Just my 3 cents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does not have very good DR potential compared to other Canon sensors.
Not sure what you mean. Dxomark (as much as I don't like their methodologies) gives it 14.6Ev landscape DR which is the highest of Canon's sensors (at least full frame) and is dual gain @ISO400.
https://www.dxomark.com/canon-eos-r5-sensor-review-a-high-water-mark/
Photons gives it 11.85 and the highest of Canon's sensors tested.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS R5,Nikon Z 7,Sony ILCE-7RM4
A more nuanced review of DR at:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r5-review/5
Where have you seen poor results?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Sorry, but I disagree. I don't want a camera that's bigger, heavier, more expensive, and (possibly) less weatherproof. It's great that the R5c is coming out so that you can be happy with it, and I can be happy without it.
Sorry, but I disagree. i want a proper functional camera even if slightly larger.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I don't think so. The R5 will be for people who primarily do stills. The R5c will be for people who primarily do video. As the C70 demonstrates, adding a fan makes a camera fatter. Many still photographers wouldn't like that. The C70 also has a bunch of additional buttons on the side.
Nope. I clearly remember the marketing for R5. It was totally video-centric.

Upvote 0