Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

Jan 22, 2012
I’m not going to go back and forth on this one; but the outlets that you can view 8k footage is such a small percentage. The other end is the ability to crop, again a really small use case(we said the same thing about 4K to deliver in 1080).

8k just isn’t a option for 95% of people to view in and that is being very generous. It’s cute to show off but creatively it’s at the bottom of the list.
Besides, the 8K crowd deserves the 8k because they want to. And.... R5 can shoot for 4k for people who do not want to shoot 8k. FYI.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I’m not going to go back and forth on this one; but the outlets that you can view 8k footage is such a small percentage. The other end is the ability to crop, again a really small use case(we said the same thing about 4K to deliver in 1080).

8k just isn’t a option for 95% of people to view in and that is being very generous. It’s cute to show off but creatively it’s at the bottom of the list.
The resolution has NOTHING to do with creativity. It is just a means to make the video look better - not more creative per say. Cute?

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
The resolution has NOTHING to do with creativity. It is just a means to make the video look better - not more creative per say. Cute?
The point is way over there
Look there just are not many outlets for 8k. I have not read ,watched or talked to many with a functional use for other than to get raw and clog 2. There maybe some using it, but as much as I have paid attention to this product, even the A1 most don’t have a use for shooting 8k at this point. No outlet, and storage hungry.

All that to say, it really feels like Canon created problems in the R5/R6 to solve with the R5c(Over heating aside). Now to fix it you will have to buy the new one, that is the old one with a fan and full hdmi.

Upvote 0
R1 is going to be anounced before R5C , with quad pxl AF ...

why no quad pxl AF on R5C ❓
I think the R5c is rumoured to have the same sensor as the R5: adding quad pixel to that would mean it would need to be an entirely new sensor. Canon have done this before - in the same fashion, the 5DS and 5DSR were released after dual pixel, but did not come with dual pixel. With that said, I do think an R1 is coming, but I'm not sure that we've seen a high CR rated rumour on the R1 - the R5C could certainly turn up first.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Look there just are not many outlets for 8k. I have not read ,watched or talked to many with a functional use for other than to get raw and clog 2. There maybe some using it, but as much as I have paid attention to this product, even the A1 most don’t have a use for shooting 8k at this point. No outlet, and storage hungry.

All that to say, it really feels like Canon created problems in the R5/R6 to solve with the R5c(Over heating aside). Now to fix it you will have to buy the new one, that is the old one with a fan and full hdmi.
Again. You miss the point of shooting on 8k. "Rolls eyes".
Canon did not 'create' a problem. That is what they could do best at that time or thought that was the way to go. Now they realize that the 20 min cap is not cutting it and are finding a solution. R5 will still be in the market for those who want it, btw.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
"computers can't handle 8K"
Yet new Apple M1X will make it a breeze.
Also I really wonder how the 1DX and the R5C will differ for video shooters.
If the R5C has a good video codec and a ND then it's a winner over the R1.
M1 chipset just has the latest chipsets built in.
Quite a lot of RAM is needed for 8K so people are running down their SSDs with virtual memory and somehow blaming Apple.
Newer Intel chips have the proper codecs built in.
I have not seen any indication from AMD.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

One reason content creators want 8k is that they can go into their video editor and "crop" it down to 4k or even 1080p...and then as the video goes on, pan the crop rectangle to follow the action.

They are therefore using 8K as a tool to produce 1080p (which is still as high as the majority of consumers can go) or 4K (for those a little ahead of the pack. They're not using 8K to create 8K product. If that is what they were doing, you'd actually have a point. It isn't...so really, you don't.

And I say this as someone who'll probably never use it, himself.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That's good news for future R5 owners who will buy 2nd hand units from the current R5 owners who go R5c

I favor weather sealing over long 8k record time.
In their news article about the Canon C70, DPR wrote: "The cooling system is outside the sealed part of the camera to prevent dust or moisture from reaching the electronics", so it's possible to have both.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Again. You miss the point of shooting on 8k. "Rolls eyes".
Canon did not 'create' a problem. That is what they could do best at that time or thought that was the way to go. Now they realize that the 20 min cap is not cutting it and are finding a solution. R5 will still be in the market for those who want it, btw.

One reason content creators want 8k is that they can go into their video editor and "crop" it down to 4k or even 1080p...and then as the video goes on, pan the crop rectangle to follow the action.

They are therefore using 8K as a tool to produce 1080p (which is still as high as the majority of consumers can go) or 4K (for those a little ahead of the pack. They're not using 8K to create 8K product. If that is what they were doing, you'd actually have a point. It isn't...so really, you don't.

And I say this as someone who'll probably never use it, himself.
I have no idea why the utility of 8k keeps coming up. Everyone here understands 8k and the fact that you can crop and downsample. It’s neither practical or efficient storage wise at about half a TB per 25 mins. Some may use but most don’t. I’m truly indifferent to it. I’ve played with it a couple of times, pretty nice but a storage hog. 8k is fine.

I have no issue with it or the fan going into an R5c, it’s the micro Hdmi when we have always had mini(there’s space for it, tear downs show this as well), 29:59 record limit, recording to both card slots, c log 2/3, no custom record saving on the R6, hard to edit codecs, sound in 120, ibis wobble, ibis or is choice with a stabilized lens. It’s the same things everyone else has already said...my only problem is these are not limitations of heat and the r5c will have the same sensor.

8k aside it’s a bit frustrating to have to buy the same camera again to get “features” that are not related to the hardware changes. If these where features like raw or ND or XLR or any other “cinema” features... but these are items in an A7c or Panasonic s5 both sub $2000. Again love my R5&R6, I would just like to get more out of them

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder if “animal eye tracking” picks up on fish and other aquatic species etc. in your use underwater?
Yeah, average in my experience. Depends on what you are shooting. Fish with big eyes especially side-on are no problem but other critters don't have the same "eye" patterns. Body camouflage can also be tricky. Sharks, nudibranch, octopus and cuttlefish posing in the shots. All taken in Sydney over the last 6 months
The tracking is also put to extremes when both you are the subject are potentially moving. Shooting nudibranchs for instance can be tricky as they don't have eyes but the R5 is still searching for them.

Attachments

• cuttlefish-1655.jpg
    cuttlefish-1655.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 76
  • pj-1775.jpg
    pj-1775.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 77
  • weedy-3839.jpg
    weedy-3839.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 76
  • nudi-6656.jpg
    nudi-6656.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 76
  • nudi-6789.jpg
    nudi-6789.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 82
  • nudi-6974.jpg
    nudi-6974.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 80
  • nudi-2094.jpg
    nudi-2094.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 89
  • cuttlefish-2251.jpg
    cuttlefish-2251.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 1616455468744blob.jpg
    1616455468744blob.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, average in my experience. Depends on what you are shooting. Fish with big eyes are no problem but other critters don't have the same "eye" patterns. Body camouflage can also be tricky.
The tracking is also put to extremes when both you are the subject are potentially moving. Shooting nudibranchs for instance can be tricky as they don't have eyes but the R5 is still searching for them.
WOW - Those are beautiful photos! Kudos!

Upvote 0
The only way (IMO) that the R5c will make sense, is with the following:

- better codec (a must)
- better DR
- clog 2 & 3
- built in ND’s (huge deal)
- no record limit
- no overheating (even tho I don’t experience this issue, even with weddings)
- full hdmi

I’m sure I’m missing something, but these specs are what I would believe to be crucial things to make anyone consider the R5c. I would buy 2 on top of owning two R5’s.

Upvote 0
@Phippipss88, you are describing a video camera, not a hybrid. There would be huge demand for the 5D as is (minus record limit), without overheating, IF it wasn't priced crazily.

Remember the original 1DC? It was DOUBLE the cost of the 1D and the only hardware difference was an internal heatsink (50 cents of worth of stamped alu). Canon wondered why they lost so much customer respect and brand loyalty. They deserved to lose it.

There will be more differences this time around: a whole new body, and an air path (though heatsink fins) that is sealed off from the rest of the internals, like most notebooks. But now instead of just having to beat Nikon (which they could do in their sleep), Canon have to compete with Sony, which is really shaking up their attitude.

The R5C pricing will be a window into how much their attitude has really changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only way (IMO) that the R5c will make sense, is with the following:

- better codec (a must)

I’m sure I’m missing something, but these specs are what I would believe to be crucial things to make anyone consider the R5c. I would buy 2 on top of owning two R5’s.
the issue is current graphics cards and drivers (as well as Adobe Premiere) do not support 10-bit 4:2:2 h.265 hardware acceleration. once they do, there will be no issue with R5 video editing. Because the lack of GPU acceleration of that format, it falls completely onto the CPU to decode and encode. Apple had the foresight to recognize that in their M1 chip and as a result, editing R5 footage (and it requires Davinci or Final Cut; thanks, Adobe) is easy.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
@Phippipss88, you are describing a video camera, not a hybrid. There would be huge demand for the 5D as is (minus record limit), without overheating, IF it wasn't priced crazily.

Remember the original 1DC? It was DOUBLE the cost of the 1D and the only hardware difference was an internal heatsink (50 cents of worth of stamped alu). Canon wondered why they lost so much customer respect and brand loyalty. They deserved to lose it.

There will be more differences this time around: a whole new body, and an air path (though heatsink fins) that is sealed off from the rest of the internals, like most notebooks. But now instead of just having to beat Nikon (which they could do in their sleep), Canon have to compete with Sony, which is really shaking up their attitude.

The R5C pricing will be a window into how much their attitude has really changed.
Lol I swear 50% of CR works for canon or has Canon.com as their home page and only visit there and here.

He did not describe a video camera , sounds a lot like many 2020-21 hybrids GH5, SH1, A1, A7siii, xt4 outside of the ND Filters.

Outside of the ND filters, the description matches exactly the expected specs of the A7iv or the gh6 or the A1 as well. It really feels like Canon built the R5’s limitations with the plan of solving them with the R5c as most of the above list either firmware or HDMI, which there is space for in the R5.

I’m playing with an A7siii now and of course most of the list is in it(actually it takes great stills), but it feels Sterile and even jpegs feel flat. Man I hope the next firmware is awesome and doesn’t hold back. I Would much rather pay canon an extra 500 to unlock log, unlimited recording, codecs, zebras and a auto white balance lock than to have to sell my R5 then pay 1DC prices for the same sensor I already had.

Crazy thing is with heat, I actually never have any issues with it and The Sony seems to get hotter quicker, but then there’s also almost nothing you can’t do with it too. Weird

Upvote 0