Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

Sep 20, 2020
That's not true anymore.

Resolve added support with version 17.1 on intel platforms. Adobe released what they called tigerlake features. I can only guess they meant 4.2.2 support.

Intel has supported 4.2.2. 10 bit 265 since Icelake IGPU. Tigerlake and Rocketlake add 12bit support.
There are also quite a few more lakes than that.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Even if they did that would be for the next version of the GPU. It needs to be on the hardware.

It doesn't. It's just an algorithm that they need to put in. All the GPUs from AMD and Nvidia are fully programmable. You yourself can write code that specifically tells the GPU what to do. When you write code, you have to think about what your code is trying to do and target the device that will execute that code. Repetitive math calculations are best for a GPU because that's what the massive parallelization of GPUs do best. that's why GPUs are used for graphics. You have to do 60 fps of some video game. If you're doing AI calculations or physics calculations, a CPU might be best for that. You could try to program a software program to run 100% on the GPU (it would run like crap because a lot of types of calculations don't fit how a GPU works very well). Adobe's old code base targeted the CPU because back when Photoshop was first invented, there were no dedicated GPUs and no GPUs that were fast at doing this repetitive math. It's taken a long time for Adobe to migrate more and more code to the GPU. The GPU is not the panacea for all code either. Adobe shouldn't move everything to the GPU.

Companies like AMD and Nvidia target their big demographics. Gamers, cryptocurrency, research and render facilities, etc. The worst case scenario for Canon is... since h.266 has been published, what if Nvidia and AMD go straight to supporting that and never supporting 4:2:2 10bit h.265. That means R5 footage will never be accelerated. However, since they know that the M1 chip can accelerate it, that might have raised enough awareness for them to support it. And good luck seeing the R5 updated to support h.266. That would have to be the R5 Mark II or Mark III.

Upvote 0
It doesn't. It's just an algorithm that they need to put in. All the GPUs from AMD and Nvidia are fully programmable.

NVIDIA GPUs contain one or more hardware-based decoder and encoder(s) (separate from the CUDA cores) which provides fully-accelerated hardware-based video decoding and encoding for several popular codecs. With decoding/encoding offloaded, the graphics engine and the CPU are free for other operations.

Okay I admit it's been a century since I took a programming course but implies to me that decoding isn't done on the general purpose GPU but on the decode chip.

Upvote 0
No gpu is general purpose. What you're quoting refers to how they dedicate some silicon to api-directed simple tasks where you can write a simple command and let the hardware do the rest (in this case, video encoding or decoding), leaving the remaining hardware available for processing. Imagine writing a video game where you need to render the frame but you also need to embed a video being played inside it (e.g., a video game character tapping on a monitor to watch some key game plot point). Inside of making the programmer write or find code to embed this video within the frame, they can write a few commands to the api for this part. We have to be careful of the distinction between software and hardware. In the old days, software essentially meant you wrote code for the cpu. When dedicated gpus came around, we moved code to it and called it hardware accelerated because we now had hardware dedicated to accelerating the code rather than have the cpu do everything.

In any case Nvidia and amd need to get on it! :)

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
No. It’s getting the most out of the camera that you have with you. The sensor, body, and ecosystem are amazing with the R5. The silly, it’s not a cinema camera statement is just as old as the overheating commentary. It’s the software that consistently points to Canon missing how people would like to use the “DSLR” bodies.

Record limits, only recording to one slot, Clog2-3, hard to edit video codecs(no issue for me,M1), custom modes on the R6, for some reason switching to micro HDMI, the ibis wobble shooting wide, no control over ibis vs is being on, no 120fps In 1080, photo settings being video settings, no 10bit without shooting in log, I would love an auto white balance lock in both modes.....

It’s 2021, these are not cinema camera features, they are camera features. Canon is just behind in reacting. I’m a mostly photo guy, but the video is still creatively limiting where most new cameras are expanding for much less money.

I Have access to an A7siii and the colors are vastly improved from what I remember from the A7iii(green skin tones, Wb didn’t match). 12mp isn’t a huge down grade from 45, and really close to 20 if framed properly. Just my 3 cents.
There is no magical one-size-fits-all camera. Many people purchased the R5 to do stills photography, and that is its primary strength. It added 8K video more as a side-benefit, but a certain segment had too high an expectation. 8K is NOT a 2021 camera feature. That you say it is does not make it true.

Upvote 0
There is no magical one-size-fits-all camera. Many people purchased the R5 to do stills photography, and that is its primary strength. It added 8K video more as a side-benefit, but a certain segment had too high an expectation. 8K is NOT a 2021 camera feature. That you say it is does not make it true.
The latest firmware shows they meant business for the r5 to be an 8k machine. A lot more features and settings now. And I'll argue that the 8k of the r5 beats the 8k of the a1 and the 4k of the a7s3.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Primary strength? It’s not a character in a video game. It is either capable of completing at task or not. 8k‘s problem in general is that It doesn’t seem capable in that department over long periods.

There is no one size fits all camera, agreed.

8k is really not a big deal to me or most shooters . It’s actually one of the silliest conversation pieces, “stills” camera with 8k video, which is a highly specialized utility within the workflow of video.....why attract 8k video shooters.

it just seems to be a weird feature to add to a camera that Seems to also be sure to separate it from “cinema” cameras. Who would need 8k but not the other features of a video hybrid camera... seems short sided.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
R5 has 8K but it has not a priority setting for Release vs Focus in Servo AF mode just like many previous FF and ctop models have (5DsR, 5D4, 7D2, 90D to name a few). What a joke! Just like the focusing behind the subject when that is small or the time it takes to "wake up" when it is in sleep mode. It is these 3 things that bother me (the last two of which caused missing shots). Also the spot AF equivalent is a joke compated to Canon DSLR's and Nikon's one point AF efficiency (when using it in low light situations). So mainly a stills camera but lacking in many stills camera features...

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
The latest firmware shows they meant business for the r5 to be an 8k machine. A lot more features and settings now. And I'll argue that the 8k of the r5 beats the 8k of the a1 and the 4k of the a7s3.
I agree with you on that. It still doesn't mean that 8K is (or should be) the primary focus of the R5. Some folks here on this thread are really having issues accepting that. Whether it's Sony, Canon, or someone other company but I think 8K will be better on next-generation CPU's that what they're running on right now and that's okay.

I don't think I've ever used my Canon 5DM3's video mode. Doesn't mean others do, it just means to me that there are better dedicated cameras that do the job better, even when my 5D was new.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I agree with you on that. It still doesn't mean that 8K is (or should be) the primary focus of the R5. Some folks here on this thread are really having issues accepting that. Whether it's Sony, Canon, or someone other company but I think 8K will be better on next-generation CPU's that what they're running on right now and that's okay.

I don't think I've ever used my Canon 5DM3's video mode. Doesn't mean others do, it just means to me that there are better dedicated cameras that do the job better, even when my 5D was new.

8k as a feature is something that attracts the wrong people. Yes, yes, it’s a photo camera and all that. But to include 8k even marketing it on a small scale, makes for a situation where the feature doesn’t match the customer.

I don’t know of a photographer or novice videographer who plan to extensively 8k , even for cropping, that would not be using “cinema” features as well. I’m mostly speaking to the same ole same ole, unlimited recording, clog 2, 120 with sound, custom modes on r6, auto white balance lock, is w/o ibis, usb power and no ibis wobble.

The hardware and skill set to utilize 8k doesn’t match users that would not use the other “cinema” features in other cameras. Unless this camera was only meant to be used by former Canon photographer focused users , the response should not be surprising. I get to use quite a few cameras and the One thing about the two newest cameras is that coming back to Canon you have to think about the things you can’t do.....Zebras Canon, Zebras

Upvote 0
Absolutely agreed. Active cooling is a hard pass for me for me if it means reduced weather sealing. This is positive though - Canon obviously sees that there is a market here which isn't perfectly aligned to the needs of traditional 5D users, which the R5 was aimed at. Having an R5c and an R5 allow flexibility for potential buyers to balance their needs without compromising their use case.
Late to this conversation but totally agree. I've been very tough on Canon in the past and have to defend them here. They gave everybody what they wanted with the R5 and 8K and were willing to take a hit on the overheating issue (which they knew about) in order to satisfy the clamor for better video options. Now, they're continuing to market to filmmakers with what we've always wanted: 4K (and now 8K) still cameras with cutting edge video features. I haven't bought into the R system yet but if the R5c holds up to the rumored specs, I foresee myself doing so in 2022.

Congrats to Canon for seeing the light and meeting the needs of a new generation of stills and video artists.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Late to this conversation but totally agree. I've been very tough on Canon in the past and have to defend them here. They gave everybody what they wanted with the R5 and 8K and were willing to take a hit on the overheating issue (which they knew about) in order to satisfy the clamor for better video options. Now, they're continuing to market to filmmakers with what we've always wanted: 4K (and now 8K) still cameras with cutting edge video features. I haven't bought into the R system yet but if the R5c holds up to the rumored specs, I foresee myself doing so in 2022.

Congrats to Canon for seeing the light and meeting the needs of a new generation of stills and video artists.
Any R5c is going to have worse video specs than the R5, so if that is what you are after ang have been criticizing Canon for not doing you are the typical forum pundit. I need this feature, there you go then here is a new camera with that feature, oh no I’m going to wait a while....

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Any R5c is going to have worse video specs than the R5, so if that is what you are after ang have been criticizing Canon for not doing you are the typical forum pundit. I need this feature, there you go then here is a new camera with that feature, oh no I’m going to wait a while....
The name R5c is made up.
The entire point of the rumor is an R5 with active cooling.
I do not think there is as much demand for an R6c.
Since I am happy with my R5 and plan to get a C70 no matter what, I am not really interested in an R5c. (I will not rule out buying a used one in the future).
I would be interested in an R6c.
I would also be interested in a 5Dc or M6c.

Upvote 0