Counting down my five favorite Canon digital cameras ever. Coming in at #3…..

picperfect

EOS 90D
Mar 29, 2020
Yes, but do you think that 61.5% more pixels gives you 61.5% more potential resolution ?

it yields significantly more resolution [ceteris paribus], visible to the naked eye unless image is viewed on smartphone display or instagram. :)

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
it yields significantly more resolution [ceteris paribus], visible to the naked eye unless image is viewed on smartphone display or instagram. :)
Please define “significantly more”.
20% more resolution is noticeable to a non professional eye.
5-10% more resolution may be noticeable to a pro photog.

picperfect

EOS 90D
Mar 29, 2020
Please define “significantly more”.
20% more resolution is noticeable to a non professional eye.
5-10% more resolution may be noticeable to a pro photog.

21 Mp vs. 13 MP is visible to untrained monkeys. Significantly and clearly.

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
21 Mp vs. 13 MP is visible to untrained monkeys. Significantly and clearly.

I wouldn't go as far as disrespectfully calling untrained folks "untrained monkeys".

However, 21MP vs 13MP : results in around 27% linear resolution difference. certainly quite a bit.

Reactions: Sporgon

picperfect

EOS 90D
Mar 29, 2020
What size output are the monkey’s looking at? 100 per cent screen display? 13x19 print? 8x10?

this monkey does not print (what for) but views raw images on a 32" 4k monitor. No problem seeing the difference, without any training whatsoever. Naked eye suffices.

privatebydesign

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011

And, I’d add, Keith didn’t use any interpolation software (he has some great articles on it’s use). Now the first answer people always give is well you could interpolate both high and low resolution images and get even better results so the differences would remain constant but the point is more subtle than that, I’d say if I want to offer a given print size what resolution can I do that with given the software we have, 24” x 36” is my maximum print size, obviously a 5DSr does that quite well but how does a 5D III or a 1DX II compare to that given print size when processed optimally With interpolation? I’d wager very few people could tell the difference in most real world situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: SecureGSM

BillB

EOS R
May 11, 2017
anywhere from 30cm to 1m ... any more questions?

No more questions, and thanks for the answers. Whether we can discern clear and significant differences in resolution depends on the display medium for the image, its size, and our viewing distance (among other things) so I was curious.

<-- start Taboola -->