CP+ showed a shifting focus

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There was an interesting CP+ article discussing how various companies were going out of their way to change the focus of their marketing at this event to younger people, beginners, and females. From the Nikkei article; At CP+2024, events and exhibitions aimed at young people, women, and families stood out, and photo circle exhibits and

See full article...

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I thought going after beginners and young users have always been a key focus? Without the injection of new and young users, the product would die a natural depth as existing users age. This happens in a lot of products, from selling soft drinks in primary schools to the introduction of colours and attractive lines in sneakers, the aim has always been to hook new generations of consumers. As for a focus on females, which most likely represents a relatively untapped market, it brings to mind the cigarettes manufacturers' push for female customers through depiction of women smoking in movies, portraying smoking as a natural activity in social circles, and making it seems sophisticated. In other words, this 'new' push mentioned in the article is actually not that new.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Reading this, one could think women are different and they need pink "Barbie" cameras to get into photography, just like children need colorful toys. Phones became a fashion statement (otherwise you can't sell them at four digit prices), cameras will never become a fashion accessory. There was a time, probably fifty years ago, when SLRs became some sort of status symbol too, but now it's gone.

I could understand moving from "traditional" photography to newer trends more appealing now to younger people (of any gender), or cameras for people (of any gender) who don't like to have to use bulky cameras and lenses for high end features and high quality output. My sister doesn't care what color her camera is, but she always found my SLRs being to bulky and preferred the compactness of rangefinder-type cameras. And she never liked that with Canon smaller cameras were at the bottom line in terms of easiness of use (more cumbersome controls) and quality. I helped in some entry-level photography courses, and there are more and more women, but very few of them like bulky ILCs.

What is usually different between genders is that women are usually far less interested in the "specs" - they won't fight on pixel count and sensor technology, DR, lens resolution at f/22 and so on, and won't pixel-peep much. That's a wholly manly issue to show their zoom is longer. So yes, if you aim at a different public you need a different way to promote your cameras - focusing more on what you can achieve and how. Some "lifestyle" additions could help - being a "content creator" is fashionable today, but that's about again about the creative process.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Reading this, one could think women are different and they need pink "Barbie" cameras to get into photography, just like children need colorful toys.

Hmm. No, that wasn't implied but I did change one sentence to remove the reference to females. For most of the article I purposely left any sort of implication of that. With the exception of Kawaii which is predominately female, but a very specific culture.

I'm a male and I wanted a non-black camera (and I had 3 in total, as I had two white ones as well). These cameras are not just for females, simply people who want something different, to those new to the camera industry. Not all cultures are the same and neither are all tastes.

Phones became a fashion statement (otherwise you can't sell them at four digit prices), cameras will never become a fashion accessory. There was a time, probably fifty years ago, when SLRs became some sort of status symbol too, but now it's gone.

Status wouldn't be a factor of color unless it's more rare. Apple could make one special color a year, and market that as 2x more expensive and ideally make even more money. You know, like they did with the gold apple watch. They market various colors because everyone has different tastes. If a camera is something you carry around with you all the time, why should it not be reflective of your tastes? I choose my camera strap based upon factors such as (does it function, feel okay, and does it look good?) - as an extension, a camera could be in the same category (ahem, bay blue). Third party companies sell camera wraps - some for protection, some for fashion statements.

Alot of Canon's innovation has come about because of this targeting.

Canon's wonderful touchscreen UI didn't come about because we older professionals wanted real-time touch screen control, it came to be to attract the newer generation. At the same time, Canon and others started to experiment more with colors and various other aspects of their camera design. EOS-M was most definitely targeting this market from both the UI, camera colors, lack of physical controls, and marketing.

Cameras are a fashion statement - even to this day, and even compact and older cameras are making a comeback, not just film (as strange as it may seem).

What I noticed that since after covid, we seem to be seeing far less now - is that because of the market shrinkage, or has the market shrunk because the companies aren't taking risks anymore and just going after the same crowd. CP+ showed at least there's some recognition that they have to switch things up.

Thanks for your comments, as you got me to re-read the article with a more critical eye to any bias I may have wrongly put on the article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Daimler-Benz' "marketing-experts" once had the rich idea, in order to attract more female customers, to decorate the A-Class showrooms with plenty of potted flowers. (We all know that women are so silly that when they see flowers, they simply feel the urge to buy a car :rolleyes:) Sarcasm...
Visitors were allowed to take a plant home (after they had been instructed about the fascinating (?) A-Class concept.) I wonder why this keen strategy was never put into practice... Its author was a man, and not of the high IQ variety.
In the end, they A-Class sold well also to female customers, but only because it cost less than the larger Mercedes models, and because it was more practical. There was back then still a huge salary gap between male and female incomes. It hasn't changed much...

Upvote 0
Daimler-Benz' "marketing-experts" once had the rich idea, in order to attract more female customers, to decorate the A-Class showrooms with plenty of potted flowers. (We all know that women are so silly that when they see flowers, they simply feel the urge to buy a car :rolleyes:) Sarcasm...
Visitors were allowed to take a plant home (after they had been instructed about the fascinating (?) A-Class concept.) I wonder why this keen strategy was never put into practice... Its author was a man, and not of the high IQ variety.
In the end, they A-Class sold well also to female customers, but only because it cost less than the larger Mercedes models, and because it was more practical. There was back then still a huge salary gap between male and female incomes. It hasn't changed much...

That's just nasty lol. Wasn't there a movie about this sort of thing with Mel Gibson?

I'm sure the list of marketing blunders when it came to targeting females would fill a 20 book encyclopedia set.

Upvote 0
New/younger users will need to be convinced that their existing expensive phone cameras and any associated filters/computational and genAI images are insufficient... and that post processing is worthwhile vs processing in-phone.

Working that out is the holy grail for any real unit growth. I'm not convinced that some colour options is the key to it.

Long exposures, macro, telephoto are still hard to do in-phone but there will be ongoing improvements reducing MILC purchases.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's just nasty lol. Wasn't there a movie about this sort of thing with Mel Gibson?

I'm sure the list of marketing blunders when it came to targeting females would fill a 20 book encyclopedia set.
Didn't know about a movie. The marketing trick I mentioned was born in the early 90s, if I'm not mistaken. I believe it was rejected for reasons of $$$$.
Anothe brillant idea by the same marketing genious was even more (expletive deleted).
No joke, sadly: covering car showrooms with opaque panels, with exception of a narrow upper slice. So that curiosity of passers-by would get excited, obliging them to try all kinds of tricks to get a glimpse of the new car, or to enter . Every week, another upper panel would be removed. Yet, somebody less (expletive deleted) suggested that smaller people would be disadvantaged.
PS: During this expose, I played battleship with a colleague, and I heard some wild giggling in the audience...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Hmm. No, that wasn't implied but I did change one sentence to remove the reference to females. For most of the article I purposely left any sort of implication of that. With the exception of Kawaii which is predominately female, but a very specific culture.

I'm a male and I wanted a non-black camera (and I had 3 in total, as I had two white ones as well). These cameras are not just for females, simply people who want something different, to those new to the camera industry. Not all cultures are the same and neither are all tastes.

Status wouldn't be a factor of color unless it's more rare. Apple could make one special color a year, and market that as 2x more expensive and ideally make even more money. You know, like they did with the gold apple watch. They market various colors because everyone has different tastes. If a camera is something you carry around with you all the time, why should it not be reflective of your tastes? I choose my camera strap based upon factors such as (does it function, feel okay, and does it look good?) - as an extension, a camera could be in the same category (ahem, bay blue). Third party companies sell camera wraps - some for protection, some for fashion statements.

Alot of Canon's innovation has come about because of this targeting.

Canon's wonderful touchscreen UI didn't come about because we older professionals wanted real-time touch screen control, it came to be to attract the newer generation. At the same time, Canon and others started to experiment more with colors and various other aspects of their camera design. EOS-M was most definitely targeting this market from both the UI, camera colors, lack of physical controls, and marketing.

Cameras are a fashion statement - even to this day, and even compact and older cameras are making a comeback, not just film (as strange as it may seem).

What I noticed that since after covid, we seem to be seeing far less now - is that because of the market shrinkage, or has the market shrunk because the companies aren't taking risks anymore and just going after the same crowd. CP+ showed at least there's some recognition that they have to switch things up.

Thanks for your comments, as you got me to re-read the article with a more critical eye to any bias I may have wrongly put on the article.
Just get a Leica and choose the color and even type of the leather or vulcanit. (For a Leicaesque supplement) ;)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I'm a male and I wanted a non-black camera
Yes, but there's a reason black became predominant - a black, matte finish can't create unwanted reflection on a subject. I liked the white/gray versions, I believe they can look less intrusive and intimidating in some situations - but only with the matching lenses. But I agree that some fun here and there could be welcome, and it may attract some people - again of any gender - looking for something "different".

If a camera is something you carry around with you all the time, why should it not be reflective of your tastes?
Probably Canon should start a camera covers business to adapt camera to users tastes :) It's simpler with phones, and with P&S cameras, because the are "single" things. With ILCs which are part of a system - as soon as you mount anything on them probably it won't match the color/style, and you end up with a uglier mishmash of different pieces. Making almost everything in different colors increases costs, and won't be done. So how much some slightly different camera bodies fit into the overall picture? Does the "creator" who rigs her/his camera for a youtube/tiktok video care which color it is? Or is more interested in an hardware/software system that delivers the results she/he is looking for in the simplest/quickest way? The consumer users IMHO needs something different than just colored cameras - something that can return "instant" satisfying results. But that's more a software-side issue were Japanese compamies have been historically weaker (but videogames).

Anyway, less people IMHO "wear" a camera today because that kind of photos are made with phones. Unless they're Leica so you need to show 'em off (I do like Leica cameras, but not because their brand and cost). Still there could be a market segment, if one can find the right products for it.

Canon's wonderful touchscreen UI didn't come about because we older professionals wanted real-time touch screen control
They should then take into account users with long fingernails ;) I do agree cameras should become appealing to a different kind of users - but beware of the "me too!" approach - the risk is being perceived as some sort of compromise. squeezed into a market they are not really fit for. A rethink is necessary - especially now in the era of generative AIs - if I knew the correct answer I guess I will try to sell it to Canon....

Upvote 0