D800 is finally here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
macfly said:
Canon has made a huge misstep on this, and given away the lead they fought for and won back in 1991 when I traded my then new Nikon F4 for the far superior Canon EOS1n. IMHO Nikon (with Sony's help) have finally reclaimed the top stop, and Canon has given away a twenty year lead.

All those people whining about a camera having too many pixels, just buy the one with the right amount for you, but for those of us who want more, live and let live. Why should we be limited by your desire for mediocrity?

For those of us who want ultimate quality, this post from the Sony rumor site is wonderful news - http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-about-to-release-organic-sensors-in-2013-100-megapixel-sensors-for-2013-2014/

To be fair, they haven't made any mis-step yet. The 1DX competes with the D4 not the D800. Now that the D800 is official, will Canon announce a new FF with 30+ MP? Time will tell.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Canon-F1 said:
macfly said:
All those people whining about a camera having too many pixels, just buy the one with the right amount for you, but for those of us who want more, live and let live. Why should we be limited by your desire for mediocrity?

i have yet to see an image from you that is not medicore and justifies an 36 MP count.. so please don´t troll around. ;D

Ouch but then again macfly did refer to anyone who's work doesn't require higher MP as mediocre while in the same breath suggesting we all live and let live. Practice what you preach?

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Cropper said:
@Meh :

If is still true if you have enough resolution. 30+MP should be enough to have a decent pixel density in a 1.3 or even 1.6 crop mode. Besides I don't see this feature as nothing more than an extra option. And a simple one to add !

It is not true that a crop mode will "extend the reach" of a lens.... a crop sensor "extends the reach" of lenses if the crop sensor has higher pixel density than a FF sensor. In other words, for a given FF sensor the "reach" is the same whether you are in FF or crop mode. The benefits of Nikon's crop mode are smaller file size and faster frames per second.

Upvote 0
A

Astro

Cropper said:
@Meh :

If is still true if you have enough resolution. 30+MP should be enough to have a decent pixel density in a 1.3 or even 1.6 crop mode. Besides I don't see this feature as nothing more than an useful extra option. And a simple one to add !

Besides it would probably be the only way to get a fast frame rate !

you can crop in photoshop and that´s the same.
your missing the point here.. and that´s the difference between a FF and a APS-C sensor.

Upvote 0
R

RedEye

lbloom said:
Am I the only person that wasn't very impressed by the D800 sample images?

They're awesome, lets not be silly. Kinda like would you accept a free handout of 1 Billion pennies? Of course any rational person would. Might not come in the form we were expecting or think we want, but the fact is the benefits of all the new features are simply amazing and will be useful to all.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Kernuak said:
lbloom said:
Am I the only person that wasn't very impressed by the D800 sample images?

I'm impressed by the portrait images, but not the landscapes, although some of that is down to choices made by the photographers.

I'm just amused they were scared to shoot anything over ISO 100 for the most part. yes, there's the ISO 640 image in there, but you gotta admit, that's pretty timid.

Upvote 0
Meh said:
Cropper said:
@Meh :

If is still true if you have enough resolution. 30+MP should be enough to have a decent pixel density in a 1.3 or even 1.6 crop mode. Besides I don't see this feature as nothing more than an extra option. And a simple one to add !

It is not true that a crop mode will "extend the reach" of a lens.... a crop sensor "extends the reach" of lenses if the crop sensor has higher pixel density than a FF sensor. In other words, for a given FF sensor the "reach" is the same whether you are in FF or crop mode. The benefits of Nikon's crop mode are smaller file size and faster frames per second.
there is 1 more benefit tho this technology that people are overlooking and that is the crop mode will meter the scene differently than shooting full frame then cropping in post. It also aids composition to have WYSIWYG

Upvote 0
arioch82 said:
no one has mentioned the in-camera hdr... I'm only an amateur but i think it would be an incredible handy feature in some situations, at least for normal people like me looking to jump to a fullframe camera from a rebel :)

I really hope canon will offer it in the 5d successor

its jpg only, any in camera post processing is not going to give you anything comparible to what you can achieve in post using the raw files. in camera HDR is 100% gimmick unfortunately. i would rather use the cameras processor to achieve the cleanest Raw files possible. I mean that is the whole proint in shooting with DSLR cameras to shoot in RAW and have complete control. God forbid they implement some sort fo gaudy in camera tone mapping too :eek: that is a scary thought. They could make it a new scene selection mode and call it Fine Art mode...

Upvote 0
I don't know where it was mentioned, but isn't the 36mp limited by the quality of the lenses? I believe there is a physical limit by which a digital sensor and lens can handle before diffraction is introduced? This is the reason why medium format cameras have a larger sensor and lenses that cost $3k because they are geared to handle the large amount of light necessary to utilize the MP.

It will still be interesting to see what Canon comes out with. Call me crazy, but I probably won't buy the newest 5dMk3 or whatever, because of budget, would rather buy the 5dMk2 and save some $ then go broke.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.