Debating on selling my 5D II and 35L/135L for a...

May 31, 2011
Sounds like you are bored with your current setup... that malaise happens periodically to the best of us.

Going back to rebel is going to leave you wanting more... I'd suggest not using the battery grip and maybe downsizing to a 6d which is a touch smaller and lighter. Then maybe filmmaker a new type of lens that junk starts your creative steak again.

Upvote 0
Step 1, remove battery grip.

Step 2, buy 40mm pancake (seems to go on sale all the time).

Step 3, consider a 6D, though I would try out the body in store to see how much you actually notice the size difference.

My 6D/40mm combo has become my go to kit when I don't want to carry too much. Image quality is great. Size is almost ridiculous compared to my normal zoom setup.

If I was in your position, I'd buy the 40mm first and use it with your 5D II without the grip, and see what you think. If you want to shave a little size/weight off that, the 6D is there and the price keep dropping.

I wouldn't get rid of your lenses unless you have to.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Mirrorless camera sales are tanking, they took off at first, but then sales dropped drastically, particularly in the USA and Europe.

First, Canon dumped thousands of "M" bodies for give- Away Prices, and then a couple of weeks ago, I saw thousands of supposedly refurbished Nikon J series Mirrorless cameras going for $160 on ebay, and that included Lightroom 5 which was a $80 value. They can't give them away.

This means that you won't be able to sell it if you decide to change, most people do not want them. Its not a comment on the quality of the images or operation, just that they are not selling well.

I bought my 5D MK III from Adorama 2 years back for $2750 with a 2nd Genuine Canon battery, and it has not dropped in value all that much. Neither has your 5D MK II.

Mirrorless tanking? Canon mirrorless, definitely. Others systems, not so much. If the OP is interested in a smaller system, check out the Panasonic GH4, Olympus OM-D EM-1, or the coming Sony A7s.... especially the A7s.

And making your decision on potential resale value is a horrible way to approach it if you're not a professional.

Upvote 0
I was in a similar place as you last year.
If you're tired of lugging around heavy DSLR gear DO NOT buy a 24-70 2.8... Yes, the lens is awesome.... it's also big, long, and heavy.
I would recommend either an eos-m with 22mm lens if you want something inexpensive and very capable, or if you want full frame and spectacular, I would highly recommend anything by Sony.
I have an a7 and I absolutely love it. You could get the 35mm or 55mm lenses, both of which seem to be beautiful lenses.
Or, you could buy a Sony RX1 which might be one of the best 35mm possibilities out there. If you wait till Photokina, there will be tons of used RX1's and you can probably buy one for a steal.
The RX10 and RX100 mark III also look fantastic
If you're tired of the weight of your DSLR, do not buy another DSLR that is just slightly smaller. I sold my DSLR about a year ago for an a7 and I have not even considered buying anything even nearly as large since.
I will never buy a DSLR again, and love every minute of being free from the burden of lugging around such a heavy, bulky camera.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
If I love it and upgrade in five years I want to recoup as much of my initial investment as possible. Performance us the main thing...

My phone screwed up this message... but it is all here... in pieces.

CarlMillerPhoto said:
Mirrorless tanking? Canon mirrorless, definitely. Others systems, not so much. If the OP is interested in a smaller system, check out the Panasonic GH4, Olympus OM-D EM-1, or the coming Sony A7s.... especially the A7s.

And making your decision on potential resale value is a horrible way to approach it if you're not a professional.

I don't disagree with the first part... saw a few lumix and others while I'm here in Puerto Rico.

But I always consider resale value as it relates to purchase price. If I don't like it, , I want to minimize my risk.

Upvote 0
My solution to lighter weight has been to go to Oly OM-D E-M5 for travel/casual shooting when I don't want to carry my Canon stuff. Body is only 420 grams vs. 810 grams for 5DII. Better yet, lenses are much smaller as well. Oly 12-40 mm PRO f2.8 zoom (35mm equal 24-80 mm) is 382 g vs. 805 g for Canon 24-70mm L II F2.8 . (yea I know someone will say f2.8 on m4/3 isn't f2.8 in FF -- but in terms of light gathering it is. Depth of field is different, but for casual shooting that hasn't been an issue. In fact for active kids/grandkids it usually helps.) IQ of current generation of high end m4/3 cameras seems to rival if not exceed Canon APS-C in several reviews. (Look up some of the reviews on the new Panasonic GH4 -- people are printing up to six foot images from it that look spectacular!) Of course, as Mt. Spokane points out, mirrorless (including m4/3) is not wildly popular in U.S. so resale is a risk. Since I tend to "buy and hold" that is a non-issue for me. I'm quite happy with the E-M5's results.

Canon SL1 could be a good option to reduce camera size/weight, but doesn't change the weight of lenses.

On the other hand, my son simply took the route of dropping the battery grip and putting the shorty forty on his 5DII when he wants to travel "light." He is totally happy with that approach as well.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Dump the Canon tanks, good-enough as they may be for most things.
Get a camera you'll USE, and you might like photography again. :)

ML bodies are small, light, and fast enough for most things.
Try an Olympus OMD EM10, fantastic little camera for the price! Very fast AF and stabilized body. Kit zoom is also very good. Raw files are comparable to Canon's crop bodies.
Want something lighter, try a Fuji XE2, the XE1 is almost as good and much cheaper but at that price I'd go with the EM10 Oly. 18-55mm kit zoom is also very good, the smaller lighter 15-60 is slower aperture but easier to carry around. The Fuji XT1 is a great camera but not worth the price, same with the OMD EM1. You likely don't need a "flagship" ML camera.
ALL of today's ML bodies can perform extremely well for typical use. Those with a decent EVF make using them very easy in most conditions you could use an SLR. Sony a6000 is also impressive but needs some functional improvements.
This advice comes from someone who USES these cameras rather than just reading about them and trying to figure out how to justify staying with only the big-C. YMMV.

l0pht said:
I've been debating on this for a couple months now since I don't really use them for more than taking pictures of my kids and some occasional outings with our friends. It is a pain to lug around with the battery grip and kids stuff and I don't feel like I'm really getting anymore good use of out if (although everytime I take a picture they come out AMAZING). Anyone have any recommendations on something new? I haven't been following the mirrorless cameras much but they seem to be the 'next big thing'. My only requirement is that the camera shoots in RAW as I love to edit photos and touch them up in Lightroom.

Upvote 0
Dantana said:
Step 1, remove battery grip.

Step 2, buy 40mm pancake (seems to go on sale all the time).

Step 3, consider a 6D, though I would try out the body in store to see how much you actually notice the size difference.

My 6D/40mm combo has become my go to kit when I don't want to carry too much. Image quality is great. Size is almost ridiculous compared to my normal zoom setup.

If I was in your position, I'd buy the 40mm first and use it with your 5D II without the grip, and see what you think. If you want to shave a little size/weight off that, the 6D is there and the price keep dropping.

I wouldn't get rid of your lenses unless you have to.

I agree with this start with the 40mm, and get rid of the grip.... I have young kids and wanting to move from APS-C to FF (I want the low light capability and the shallow depth of field) ..... I'm also considering adding an EOS-M with 22 and adapter as a compact ..... and backup ... can also pop the other lenses on. The main hassle with the EOS 100D is the lack of small fast primes, but the 40mm pancake would be good (64mm equiv), but less available for wider angle ...... maybe the new 24 f2.8IS?

Otherwise the Sony mirrorless are good (A7 + 35mm), as is Fuji. The micro 4/3 also offer good options, and now there are a few good small lenses

Upvote 0
you may want to try the 6D first, and if you dislike it , then you might also want to try the A7.
I have the 6D , the A7R, the A7 and A7s on order, and I am selling the A7R due to the terrible shutter shock and extremely slow AF. but if you shoot msotly landscape or on tripod based apps, then there is nothing better than the Sony A7R.
I compared many times my D800E vs my A7R before I sold my last copy of D800E last month, and I know as opposed to some die-hard Nikon guys say, the A7R will always win over the D800E. That said , I do not shoot landscape but mostly lowlight events, so I just prefer the A7 and 6D. if I use the A7R or D800E for lowlight handheld event use, then I almost always have to resample most of my 36mp imges at 18 or 16mp to reduce the purple noise in the shadow. So for now I still use Canon sometimes Nikon too , but as the next gen Sony A7 series camera gets similar quality AF system to the AF in the A6000, I will go all Son or the Sony A7 series + Panasonic GH4. YMMV.

Upvote 0
teedidy said:
Canon G1X mark ii has been a great little camera. when you read any of the reviews they are all glowing if you omit anything about price, while high, its a canon. Great low light performance, great af performance ( with a few quirks ), great image quality for a camera its size.

This + 1 8)

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Ruined said:
The full frame mirrorless many recommend like the Sony a7/a7r is deceiving because though the body is small, the lenses are literally still as big as DSLR full frame lenses - in fact the 55mm f/1.8 for the Sony A7 is twice the size of the Canon 50mm 1.4! So you have this tiny body but still have to lug around the big lenses making the ordeal pointless and an ergonomic mess IMO.

Your general point may be right, but the Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8 isn't twice as big as the Canon 50mm 1.4 - it's a bit longer (71mm vs 50mm), but somewhat narrower (64mm vs 73mm) and weighs slightly less (281g vs 290g) (data from dpreview as I'm too lazy to measure mine, but it seems about right). It's also optically superior to the Canon, though of course not quite as fast (if you don't mind manual focus, the Canon, by the way, works very nicely on a Sony A7/A7r, the mirrorless technology avoiding the back/front-focusing issues often complained about with this lens).

The Sony/Zeiss 35mm 2.8 is tiny, almost exactly the same size as its micro 43 equivalent, the Olympus 17mm 1.8 (both weigh 120g, there's a whopping 1mm difference in length and 4mm difference in diameter). It's optically superior too.

As for the original question, it depends on what he wants to use the camera for and what he wants to do with the resulting photos. If weight and bulk matter a lot and lens versatility matters, micro 43 wins out - optically much the same as most APS-C, the lenses - some of which are excellent, esp. the closest equivalent of the 135L, the Olympus 75mm 1.8 - are all much smaller than dslr equivalents, and if you buy an Olympus body, you get excellent image stabilization for any lens you attach, which makes up for at least some of the low light disadvantage these bodies have cf FF. Whether what is perhaps the main difference - relatively longer depth of focus - matters is a matter of taste (the bokeh can be superb, though).

If you don't mind the various compromises involved with the Sony A7/A7r (shortage of native lenses, not designed for herons-catching-fish, etc.), the image quality is unsurpassed (except perhaps by the 6D and 1Dx in very low light), and they're small and light.

If you like playing around with old manual lenses (or new ones, for that matter), on mirrorless bodies focusing is much easier than on any dslr. AF is better in at least some respects too - you can move focus points just about anywhere in the viewfinder (especially beneficial if you want to avoid the problems that come with focus-recompose) and there's no issue with front/back focusing.

Or a high-end point-and-should may suffice.

Anyway, they all have their pros and cons. I used not to mind (much) carrying around FF dslrs and a lens or three, but having spent the last few months using an A7r, A6000 and Olympus OMD-EM5 almost exclusively, my 6D and 5DIII feel terribly bulky and heavy on the few occasions I've used them and I just don't enjoy the process of taking photos as much; for now I'll keep at least one of them, but I'm not sure for how much longer. We're all different, though, so it's hard to make any sort of specific recommendation.

Upvote 0
Synkka said:
I use an x100s myself when the dslr is too big.

I've been on a "streamlining" quest for a while now and I sold off everything except my 5D2, 24-70mm L f2.8 II, and 50mm f1.4 to fund the the purchase of a Fuji x100s back in December 2013.

I researched for over 12 months for a smaller alternative for my 5D2 kit and everything led me back to the Sony RX100 I/II or the Fuji x100s. I ended up going for the x100s as I'm a sucker for "AMAZING" IQ and I love it for different reasons than my DSLR. Some images shot in RAW on the x100s rival the 5D2 + 24-70 f2.8 II but it never gets quite to the same level, however, I have a few issues with the Fuji x100s that will keep me from selling my DSLR.

[list type=decimal]
[*]AF is excellent for a P&S or mirrorless camera, but not even in the same league as a DSLR. I have many more OOF shots on the x100s than than I do with my DSLR. My main subject is my 3 super energetic kids (6, 4, and 2 years old) and I can't get a sharp shot of if they are on their feet. If they are in a chair or posing for a photo, it's great, as soon as they start moving, all bets are off. For this reason alone, I will not get rid of my DLSR, when I want to make sure I get the shot, I always go for the DSLR. For a casual day about town, I'm getting more comfortable with the x100s.
[*]It's not pocketable like the RX100. I "can" fit it in my jeans without the hood but it's not comfortable but it's find in a cargo or jacket pocket. I bought a small case for it, but it's so small it looks more like a purse than a camera bag, which is not desirable, so I normally just let it hang off my wrist. However, it's much less bulk than the 5D2 & 24-70 f2.8 II and less intimidating. When I'm traveling, I carry both cameras in a larger bag, but for normal days, I take the x100s with me whenever I leave the house. The thing that kills me is I still want a camera that can fit comfortably in any pants pocket that I can keep on my all the time.
[*]Fixed Lens 23mm f2.0 lens (~35mm FF equivalent). This is a pro and a con. It's a pro because the fixed lens is excellent and forces you to plan and frame the shot, just like a prime on a DSLR. The con is there is there is no telephoto for situations where a prime 35mm FOV is not enough (sports, outdoors, etc). I can't come to terms with not being able to get the same glorious effect of a FF camera with a 70-200 f2.8 II, 135L, etc.
[/list]

In the end, I decided to keep both my DSLR and the x100s and will probably hold onto them for a while until I find the urge to upgrade. I'm waiting for a new Canon FF DSLR that has all the features I'm looking for that will compliment and not replace my x100s use. I'm holding out for a FF camera with the AF from the 5D3 and the dual pixel sensor tech. of the 70D for faster video focusing.

I don't think any of the mirrorless or P&S cameras on the market can meet all my personal needs from a DSLR just yet, that's something you'll have to weigh for yourself.

Upvote 0
MLfan3 said:
you may want to try the 6D first, and if you dislike it , then you might also want to try the A7.
I have the 6D , the A7R, the A7 and A7s on order, and I am selling the A7R due to the terrible shutter shock and extremely slow AF. but if you shoot msotly landscape or on tripod based apps, then there is nothing better than the Sony A7R.
I compared many times my D800E vs my A7R before I sold my last copy of D800E last month, and I know as opposed to some die-hard Nikon guys say, the A7R will always win over the D800E. That said , I do not shoot landscape but mostly lowlight events, so I just prefer the A7 and 6D. if I use the A7R or D800E for lowlight handheld event use, then I almost always have to resample most of my 36mp imges at 18 or 16mp to reduce the purple noise in the shadow. So for now I still use Canon sometimes Nikon too , but as the next gen Sony A7 series camera gets similar quality AF system to the AF in the A6000, I will go all Son or the Sony A7 series + Panasonic GH4. YMMV.

I'm say rambling advice from someone who guys and sells cameras like crazy is probably best avoided.

Upvote 0
I bought fuji x-t1 a month a go and now i'm going to sell my 5d2 with the lenses.
I like to go out backpacking and i did not liked the weight of a dslr anymore so i tried the fuji.
No, selling my canon set was not an option when i bought he fuji, but now i have uses it for a month i know for sure.. I will not use the canon anymore. At lease not enough to keep it.

I did some comparison and the fuji has less noise at the higher iso's for sure. The 5d2 is not a sports camera and for my shooting style, the fuji is perfect. The lenses are amazing and new lenses are coming soon like a 120-400 or weather sealed 2.8 lenses.

So i can say, check out the fuji and see if it would fit your needs and if it does you wont regret it

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
twdi said:
I bought fuji x-t1 a month a go and now i'm going to sell my 5d2 with the lenses.
I like to go out backpacking and i did not liked the weight of a dslr anymore so i tried the fuji.
No, selling my canon set was not an option when i bought he fuji, but now i have uses it for a month i know for sure.. I will not use the canon anymore. At lease not enough to keep it.

I did some comparison and the fuji has less noise at the higher iso's for sure. The 5d2 is not a sports camera and for my shooting style, the fuji is perfect. The lenses are amazing and new lenses are coming soon like a 120-400 or weather sealed 2.8 lenses.

So i can say, check out the fuji and see if it would fit your needs and if it does you wont regret it
+1

Upvote 0