DPReview Adds EOS 5DS R To Studio Test Scene

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
DPReview has added the Canon EOS 5DS R to their studio test scene. You can compare it directly to cameras like the Nikon D810 and Pentax 645Z.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos5dsr&attr13_1=nikon_d810&attr13_2=pentax_645z&attr13_3=phaseone_iq180&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=100&attr16_1=100&attr16_2=100&attr16_3=35&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0&y=0" target="_blank">View Canon EOS 5DS R Studio Test at DPReview</a></p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">50.6MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Low-Pass Filter Effect Cancellation</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">3.2″ 1,040K-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">61-Point High Density Reticular AF</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Native ISO 6400; 5.0 fps Burst Shooting</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Dual Compact Flash and SD Media Slots</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Canon EOS 5DS R $3899: <a href="http://adorama.evyy.net/c/60085/51926/1036?u=http://www.adorama.com/results/canonnewfeb" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119027-REG/canon_0582c002_eos_5ds_r_dslr.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T3ERPT8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00T3ERPT8&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20&linkId=X7P2IPISEXTZFLQ7" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></p>

It looks closer to the 5DIII than the 7DII to my eyes, which is a very good thing. It looks quite good up to ISO 800, then it starts to fall apart a bit, but it's still decent at ISO 1600, which is probably the highest the target audience would set it to for most work. If you like at the etchings on the left, you'll see a fair bit of moire but also a whole lot more detail than the 5DIII. Definitely interesting to finally get a good look at the IQ.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bmwzimmer said:
In the Studio Test Scenes, Can someone explain to me why DPreview is using the 85mm f/1.8 from 1992 which was designed for Film cameras on a 50mp 5DSR while the Nikon D810 studio scene gets the crazy good and expensive Nikkor 1.4G which is one of in not Nikon's very best prime lenses with barely any CA and excellent contrast?

I can think of a reason... ::)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2014
bmwzimmer said:
In the Studio Test Scenes, Can someone explain to me why DPreview is using the 85mm f/1.8 from 1992 which was designed for Film cameras on a 50mp 5DSR while the Nikon D810 studio scene gets the crazy good and expensive Nikkor 1.4G which is one of in not Nikon's very best prime lenses with barely any CA and excellent contrast?
Not sure if they intentionally did anything. Now a days I find dpreview reviews are just a wrapper/text around dxo numbers instead of showing what actual camera is capable of and how to get best out of the tool. They are pretty much into shadow noise and isoless shooting advocating group.
Funny thing is, they kept on recommending d7100 over rest of the crop cameras including 7d2 based on shadow recovery and sensor performance ignoring everything. They conveniently ignored d7100 horizontal green banding. Now they are refusing to add d7100 to their exposure latitude test to compare with d7200. Their reason is, they do not have d7100. But they kept on adding rest of the cameras to their exposure latitude test.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I was comparing the colors to the other cameras, the saturation and color of the reds is better than the others.

Another thing to look at is the file sizes. Canon and presumably the other three use lossless compression, but efficiency varies. Canon seems to have very efficient compression, at least, for 50mp, their file size is smaller.

At high ISO's, the Pentax wins by a stop or a little more. The Nikon D810 pulls away at higher ISO's.

The price for better colors definitely is a tradeoff with high ISO performance.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2014
bmwzimmer said:

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
bmwzimmer said:

I can think of two - either intentional or just sloppy

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
bmwzimmer said:

Because Brian at TDP does such a good job that the DPR stuff is just inferior no matter what they do.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
9VIII said:
neuroanatomist said:
bmwzimmer said:

Because Brian at TDP does such a good job that the DPR stuff is just inferior no matter what they do.

I think the real reason is DPReview use DxO equipment, and DxO have declared the Canon 85 f1.8 to be one of the best resolving lenses in the EF range. How DxO got to draw that conclusion is anybodies guess (thought here are conspiracy theory sounding suggestions), why they feel compelled to imply that as a lens choice to other testers is interesting (and really feeds into the conspiracy theories), but of an even more critical note, why DPR can't see that it is bad advice I can't help but put down to incompetence or maliciousness.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
9VIII said:
neuroanatomist said:
bmwzimmer said:

I think the real reason is DPReview use DxO equipment, and DxO have declared the Canon 85 f1.8 to be one of the best resolving lenses in the EF range. How DxO got to draw that conclusion is anybodies guess (thought here are conspiracy theory sounding suggestions), why they feel compelled to imply that as a lens choice to other testers is interesting (and really feeds into the conspiracy theories), but of an even more critical note, why DPR can't see that it is bad advice I can't help but put down to incompetence or maliciousness.
I think you are right. DPR thinks this is the sharpest lens that is reason he used it.

As others have indicated, this is one of Canon's sharpest primes. It outperforms the 85/1.2 across the frame.
We've had issues with off-brand primes and how much light they let through compared to our on-brand primes, which prevent us from switching over, as it would invalidate comparisons to previous cameras shot with on-brand primes.

Upvote 0
Lawliet said:
mackguyver said:
It looks quite good up to ISO 800, then it starts to fall apart a bit,

Iso100: look at the Color wheel/red patch next to the playing cards - imagine that seeping into something you want to show to a client. The same with the color checker, most obvious in the 2/2 blue patch. Or the green below it.
This is probably some strange effect of the beta software that was used to convert the raw. If you download the raw file, it looks just like every other camera.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
bmwzimmer said:
Easy!
It is because it is the same very sharp lens they have been using to test canon FF cameras with forever.... that way the bias in the results remains consistent. (Bias is not necessarily bad)

Hopefully they will repeat the tests with lenses that are not 25 years old, made with modern materials, newer coatings, and designed for digital photography.... but what lens would that be in order to keep it in the same range as the other lenses being tested on different bodies?

Upvote 0
exquisitor said:
Lawliet said:
mackguyver said:
It looks quite good up to ISO 800, then it starts to fall apart a bit,

Iso100: look at the Color wheel/red patch next to the playing cards - imagine that seeping into something you want to show to a client. The same with the color checker, most obvious in the 2/2 blue patch. Or the green below it.
This is probably some strange effect of the beta software that was used to convert the raw. If you download the raw file, it looks just like every other camera.
Exactly and you can open the RAW file in the latest version of ACR (LR or PS). It looks pretty fantastic to me and much better than the JPEG on the website. Also, the Adjustment Brush with Moire reduction set to 50 or so does a nice job cancelling out the moire. I'm definitely glad I pre-ordered the 5DS R model now :)

EDIT: looking a bit closer, the color wheel is a little speckled because the halftone pattern of the printing dots is almost resolved by the lens/sensor. If you look at the playing cards, which are printed with solid ink (spot colors), you'll see there's no noise/speckling in them, even the black.

Upvote 0
exquisitor said:

It's an artefect of demosaicing & AB stretching from random LSBs.
ACR doesn't have mandatory denoising parameters set yet while DPP already knows what to do. Transforming from L to AB makes things less obvious, but more intrusive and harder to fixthough. :-[

Upvote 0