DPReview article: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV rolling shutter test

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: 5D4 Rolling Shutter?

Actual DPR story that accompanies the video:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7057004492/don-t-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test

The terrible no good very bad habit of an internet 'news' source reposting the same story from the same piece of evidence without any independent corroboration:

1) http://www.digitalrev.com/article/canon-5d-mark-iv-might-have-terrible-rolling-shutter

2) http://askmeblogs.com/dont-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test-2/
(Completely plagiarized word for word from DPR with a new author listed! :eek:)

I'd wager that this would get similarly 're-reported / repackaged' by Petapixel and the various DSLR videography blogs by the end of the day.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

And so the "the 5D MkIV has crap video and terrible rolling shutter" and "the 5D MkIV video is a joke" memes become embedded.

6 months down the road in the hands of competent actual users the camera becomes loved for the video quality, welcome to the new world that is driven by sales numbers and inaccurate but headline grabbing drivel.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
Actual DPR story that accompanies the video:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/7057004492/don-t-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test

The terrible no good very bad habit of an internet 'news' source reposting the same story from the same piece of evidence without any independent corroboration:

1) http://www.digitalrev.com/article/canon-5d-mark-iv-might-have-terrible-rolling-shutter

2) http://askmeblogs.com/dont-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test-2/
(Completely plagiarized word for word from DPR with a new author listed! :eek:)

I'd wager that this would get similarly 're-reported / repackaged' by Petapixel and the various DSLR videography blogs by the end of the day.

- A
I think pretty sad reporting targeting a specific camera without even doing proper measurements. Not seen this kind of test or headline for any other camera from them when released.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

privatebydesign said:
I registered at DPR to post in that thread. Interesting to see if the post passes the mods and how long it stays if it does.

Well done. Let us know.

It does seem quite remarkable how DPR have got it in for Canon. Almost makes you think perhaps Canon won't give Amazon such large bulk discounts as the other manufacturers, or they get less per unit, or something along those lines.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Now This form DPR

I don't shoot dSLR video (I have a camcorder for that), but that's an interesting result.

Also interesting that they mention:

[quote author=DPR]
However, upon shooting with the camera we found it to have significant rolling shutter. We've demonstrated the effect alongside the EOS-1D X Mark II, which reads out its sensor fast enough to exhibit pretty low levels of rolling shutter, and the Sony a6300, which shows a relatively high level of rolling shutter at 24p, albeit less so at 30p.
[/quote]

I wonder why they don't show the effect on the Sony? In the 5Ds/R review, they show the comparisons to Sony or Nikon, and somehow it seems that the non-Canon brand is better in each comparison. But here, they're not showing the Sony effect. Is it worse than the 5DIV?

I think I figured it out – they don't show the comparisons to Sony or Nikon in some other Canon articles, either...but what makes the 5Ds/R review different is that Rishi was one of the authors.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

tron said:
privatebydesign said:
I registered at DPR to post in that thread. Interesting to see if the post passes the mods and how long it stays if it does.
Interesting :)
Can you please send us a link?

EDIT: Never mind. It was very easy to find :)

Interesting that they have now updated it with more images. Certainly the original comparison video that has same speed panning doesn't exhibit the differences they now claim. One of their sets of results must be incorrect. I don't know why there is such a difference in their results.

EDIT; Scratch that, the differences are that in the original video that are shooting at video shutter speeds for video use. In the new results they are shooting video at 1/1000 sec, which renders the video unusable, to see how useful the stills capture from video is in fast panning situations. Amazing the hoops you have to jump through to prove there is 'an issue'. ::)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

P.S. They are also comparing the 5D MkIV at 30fps to the 1DX MkII at 60fps. Wow, what utter bullshit. For those that don't know, rolling shutter is known to be worse at higher shutter speeds and lower frame rates.

Rishi must be worn out from all his hoop jumping this morning. What else can they do to contrive results to support their bias?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Amazing the hoops you have to jump through to prove there is 'an issue'. ::)

Next, they'll add the 5-stop pushed images to really show differences.

One of the first things they did was post a before and after shot with the ever-so-tasteful +100 shadow push in ACR. ::)

[I'm looking for a good 'Mouth-breathers' meme from Stranger Things to post in response to this nonsense, but I am shocked to not find a good one exists already.]

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

gsealy said:
This article is a good thing. You may not like the reviewer, but people should know what rolling shutter is. Many purchasers of the 5DIV are not really into video and have no idea that rolling shutter exists.

Agree, a PSA on rolling shutter (for non-video folks like me) is great, especially at an all-comers sort of site like DPR, Petapixel, etc.

But that's not what this is. This is a bit of a poorly taken, rushed effort on a pre-production unit coupled with discussion/interpretation/conclusion. How far they took this is misleading, and they didn't need a 5D4 to show the world what rolling shutter was if all they wanted to do was give us a PSA.

Let's call it what it is: they wanted to 'first' / get the scoop before anyone else, rushed something to the internet, and here we are.

- A

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014

neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
Amazing the hoops you have to jump through to prove there is 'an issue'. ::)

Next, they'll add the 5-stop pushed images to really show differences.

Yes. But they'll be comparing a full resolution RAW from the 42.6MP Sony to the 8.8 video still captures from the 5D Mk IV... :p :eek:

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
tron said:
privatebydesign said:
Interesting :)
Can you please send us a link?

EDIT: Never mind. It was very easy to find :)

Interesting that they have now updated it with more images. Certainly the original comparison video that has same speed panning doesn't exhibit the differences they now claim. One of their sets of results must be incorrect. I don't know why there is such a difference in their results.

EDIT; Scratch that, the differences are that in the original video that are shooting at video shutter speeds for video use. In the new results they are shooting video at 1/1000 sec, which renders the video unusable, to see how useful the stills capture from video is in fast panning situations. Amazing the hoops you have to jump through to prove there is 'an issue'. ::)

Looks like they are trying to point out usefulness of framegrabs. They are suggesting, this feature might not be that much useful with this much rolling shutter (still waiting for them to publish scientific measurements). And how they are excited about using this feature on 1DX2 with 60 frames. Not sure why they didn't produce a separate page/article highlighting this exciting feature in 1DX2 and D5 reviews. They typically find something from Nikon and Sony to highlight canon deficiencies. But this time they used Canon to stick it to Canon.

Upvote 0