DPreview First impression review 5D IV

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I presume I am lacking the background to understand how Rishi came to be so controversial. When did it start and was it really so bad as to garner all this negativity. Yes I have read some comments in the last year or so that to me represented bias and I've pointed a few things out to him but I never considered it to be that bad. It all just seems so tedious to be pursuing it.

Now, the lame assertions that came from many new posters over the last few weeks, that was starting to get to me far worse than any DP review material does!

I'm pretty enthused about the 5D4 and would be happy with it if I don't get the 1DX II.

Jack

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
rishi_sanyal said:
privatebydesign said:
No you haven't. You argue semantics, ad nauseum, meanwhile you avoid any mention of many of the points that have been raised about you.

My pet peeve is the 5dsr image you used to demonstrate poor dr,

Post the RAW and prove me wrong.

No, it's not, and I'm tired of arguing this with you. All you and others have done is raise completely invalid points about how because the flash and background exposure are independent, I could've nailed the perfect exposure.

What does the flash have to do with this?? ???

I never once talked about the model exposure

You're throwing so many red herrings your writing is beginning to smell quite fishy ;)

rishi_sanyal said:
the photographer wants to ensure the colors in the sky aren't lost while actually, you know, trying to take pictures. That is, direct the model/set up the lighting/focus/compose, etc.

I have little interest in engaging in such irrational arguments (it's too bad - for my own health - that I have enough of an interest to respond at all...)

It's not an irrational argument; far from it. What you say might well have been true with the raw converters of the mid 2000's. Are you still using the ACR from 2003 ? These recent cameras are extremely robust in the highlights, and the latest raw converters are a huge improvement for bringing out the detail that's within the highlight headroom. Also blue is the weakest (thinnest) wavelength and the blue channel is the one to suffer first in loss of saturation through over exposure, yet in your example the highlights were reds and yellows anyway - much more robust.

Do you actually experiment with these cameras to see how far you can push them to your advantage ? I do when I get a body I haven't used before. I'm attaching a shot taken with the M3 (you know, that camera ) where i was seeing how far I could push the over exposure of a blue sky, at mid day, and pull full detail back in ACR. You can see that even the histogram is telling me that I've clipped, yet the resultant pull has kept full detail, with nothing lost in the blue of the sky.

The point with your 5Ds image is that the highlights are under exposed by at least 1.5 stops, which is huge, resulting in you lifting the dark shadows off the sensor floor where it has recorded virtually zero detail in very thin light. If I didn't know better, and I was i the market for a 5Ds type camera for landscape, you'd have put me off.

You can put this to bed by letting us have access to the raw file, but you know you have seriously under exposed those highlights and no one is going to need raw digger to discover that.

Attachments

• IMG_2690 1500 srgb.jpg
    IMG_2690 1500 srgb.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.19.18.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 10.19.18.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2690XX crop.jpg
    IMG_2690XX crop.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
rishi_sanyal said:
I have little interest in engaging in such irrational arguments (it's too bad - for my own health - that I have enough of an interest to respond at all...)

Well....to tack this on the end of a long list of three defensive posts is a more than a little pointer to cognitive Dissonance. Everyone's work in photography is open to criticism and critique. It's not personal and you are not personally on trial. So don't react like it's a personal affront and please don't respond by being personal. Questioning if some one is a Scientist is really out of order and shows that you will resort to personal smears instead of objective discussion. It's not big and it's not cleaver and it will only inflame...but we've had discussions over DRP's morality before....

There is clear historical evidence of a bias in DRP's reviews. It goes back to when Phil Askey used to make quite direct opinions about Canon and it was clear from his reviews that he was heavily biased towards Nikon.

Upvote 0
It's interesting that the D5 does SO badly in the iso invariance test. Compare it to the original 5D...from 2005 in RAW. Nikon didn't have a camera in that niche until 2008...three long years later. It would be interesting to see a comparision of D4 / D700 sensor vs the current "gold" D5. I'm pretty sure the original 2005 5D would have similar results.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5197378415/throwback-thursday-the-canon-eos-5d/3

The comment about "still a 5D with a mirror still in it"...hmm, talk about an exaggeration of an issue that only effected a few users. I ran a pair of original 5D's in a professional capacity for three years...and I didn't have any mirror issues.

It's comments like this combined with the ISO invariance between the ancient 5D and brand new D5 which reaffirm my opinion that DRP is biased towards Nikon and has been for a very long time. But it's OK really...Canon has had market share for a very long time...as long as DPR have been reviewing cameras. So I guess it shows how much influence DPR has on buying photographers.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
So this Swedish guy also used 35mm, and then tried focus shift:

http://www.kamerabild.se/tester/vi-har-provat-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv?nodePage=3

(if you don't read Swedish, just scroll down and look at the 2 pictures)

He can shift focus from the woman in front, to woman in back. Looking at the full frame picture, I'd say it's good 2 meters between them (~6 feet). And shot settings: EF 35mm/1,4L II USM 1/1600s, f/2,2, ISO 320

Not sure why he has such huge range, compared to dpr testing. Could the focal distance already affect that much?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tpatana said:

He can shift focus from the woman in front, to woman in back. Looking at the full frame picture, I'd say it's good 2 meters between them (~6 feet). And shot settings: EF 35mm/1,4L II USM 1/1600s, f/2,2, ISO 320

Not sure why he has such huge range, compared to dpr testing. Could the focal distance already affect that much?

Ha, I skimmed that blurry eyed last night and assumed he had shot with two different focus points! If DP's is able to accomplish this, it should be headline news IMHO.

Jack

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Jack Douglas said:
tpatana said:

Ha, I skimmed that blurry eyed last night and assumed he had shot with two different focus points! If DP's is able to accomplish this, it should be headline news IMHO.

Jack

He's shooting with a 50 mil at f/5.6, so has a fair DOF anyway, but yes, it's remarkable to be able to do that from the same raw !

Upvote 0
tpatana said:

but is it just me or does this focus shift screw up the background? If you look at the bald guy with the camera, pretty much in the middle of the frame..

The blur looks kind of strange in the second picture on him...

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
He's shooting with a 50 mil at f/5.6, so has a fair DOF anyway, but yes, it's remarkable to be able to do that from the same raw !
That's where I'm getting confused. I saw a focus shift on one of the first released Canon videos that showed quite a decent focus shift. Then dpreview said it was closer to a micro-adjustment. I think they even called it a nano-adjustment. That's not what I've seen from some of the sample images so I'm starting to wonder what the true capabilities of this new technology are. Could dpreview have actually been totally wrong about this?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
LordofTackle said:
tpatana said:

but is it just me or does this focus shift screw up the background? If you look at the bald guy with the camera, pretty much in the middle of the frame..

The blur looks kind of strange in the second picture on him...

Wait... so... are both the man and the blonde woman in focus and within the depth of field... and the program is just adding blur to what is presumably in front of and behind the plane of focus... or is this similar to light field... I didn't pay any attention to the new features... so I could literally be behind.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
It's interesting that the D5 does SO badly in the iso invariance test. Compare it to the original 5D...from 2005 in RAW. Nikon didn't have a camera in that niche until 2008...three long years later. It would be interesting to see a comparision of D4 / D700 sensor vs the current "gold" D5. I'm pretty sure the original 2005 5D would have similar results.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5197378415/throwback-thursday-the-canon-eos-5d/3

The comment about "still a 5D with a mirror still in it"...hmm, talk about an exaggeration of an issue that only effected a few users. I ran a pair of original 5D's in a professional capacity for three years...and I didn't have any mirror issues.

Referring to a well-known/reported issue in passing in an otherwise largely positive piece is evidence of bias against an entire brand? Speaking of exaggerating an "issue"...

GMCPhotographics said:
It's comments like this combined with the ISO invariance between the ancient 5D and brand new D5 which reaffirm my opinion that DRP is biased towards Nikon and has been for a very long time. But it's OK really...Canon has had market share for a very long time...as long as DPR have been reviewing cameras. So I guess it shows how much influence DPR has on buying photographers.

We didn't compare the 5D to the D5, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. But since we're on the topic: the D5, despite being Nikon's worse full-frame DSLR in this regard, far outperforms the 5D in terms of dynamic range. And yet, we specifically call out the D5's poor DR throughout its review, its comparison pieces against the 1D X II, even in the 1D X II review itself, and in standalone pieces titled 'Nikon D5 has lowest base ISO dynamic range of any current FF Nikon DSLR'.

But we're biased towards Nikon...

GMCPhotographics said:
rishi_sanyal said:

Well....to tack this on the end of a long list of three defensive posts is a more than a little pointer to cognitive Dissonance. Everyone's work in photography is open to criticism and critique. It's not personal and you are not personally on trial. So don't react like it's a personal affront and please don't respond by being personal. Questioning if some one is a Scientist is really out of order and shows that you will resort to personal smears instead of objective discussion. It's not big and it's not cleaver and it will only inflame...but we've had discussions over DRP's morality before....

And yet there are those (like the guy I was referring to) who like to question if I'm really a scientist when I write some finding they don't like. I'm just not allowed to return the favor I suppose?

Double standards much?

GMCPhotographics said:
There is clear historical evidence of a bias in DRP's reviews. It goes back to when Phil Askey used to make quite direct opinions about Canon and it was clear from his reviews that he was heavily biased towards Nikon.

Back when Canon was genuinely making better (CMOS) DSLRs than Nikon, we ranked them higher, and got blamed for being biased towards Canon.

Could it be we're actually influenced by the cameras themselves, not crooks biased towards brands giving us more money [or insert whatever is your favorite reason for our bias here]?

Upvote 0
R1-7D said:
Looks like Rishi has been caught with his pants down. My god, this is gold.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Neuro and Privatebydesign have ripped him to shreds, whether he sees it or not. ;D ;D

So my correcting Neuro as to his erroneous assumption of how Auto AF point selection actually works when iTR is engaged by referring him back to the very manual he tried to use to prove our incompetence - just referring him to the right page this time - is me being ripped to shreds?

Then suggesting he do the experiment we did that shows we, in fact, were very much correct in our understanding of how Auto/iTR works, while he was wrong, and never hearing back - probably b/c he did the experiment & realized he was wrong - is me being ripped to shreds?

I find the variance in conclusions here - from 'Rishi you've largely acquitted yourself' to 'Rishi's been ripped to shreds' - interesting, to say the least.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
rishi_sanyal said:
privatebydesign said:
No you haven't. You argue semantics, ad nauseum, meanwhile you avoid any mention of many of the points that have been raised about you.

My pet peeve is the 5dsr image you used to demonstrate poor dr,

Post the RAW and prove me wrong.

No, it's not, and I'm tired of arguing this with you. All you and others have done is raise completely invalid points about how because the flash and background exposure are independent, I could've nailed the perfect exposure.

What does the flash have to do with this?? ???

I never once talked about the model exposure

You're throwing so many red herrings your writing is beginning to smell quite fishy ;)

The red herring was actually coming from those talking about the model exposure, which has absolute nothing to do with the DR limitations I mentioned.

??

Sporgon said:
rishi_sanyal said:
the photographer wants to ensure the colors in the sky aren't lost while actually, you know, trying to take pictures. That is, direct the model/set up the lighting/focus/compose, etc.

It's not an irrational argument; far from it. What you say might well have been true with the raw converters of the mid 2000's. Are you still using the ACR from 2003 ? These recent cameras are extremely robust in the highlights,

Going to stop you right there. No camera is better than another at highlight recovery, so it doesn't matter what software I'm using. This is a fundamental property of current CMOS linear capture. So your anecdotal examples of how much highlight you recovered in this or that shot means nothing - you could recover that much from a Nikon, or Sony, or what have you shot as well. That's why we look at the shadows, where read noise performance differences between cameras do make a difference in DR.

Sporgon said:
yet in your example the highlights were reds and yellows anyway - much more robust.

My example was after -100 Highlights, -100 Whites, latest ACR, negative exposure gradients in the sky, with saturation boosts.

The original OOC JPEG had lost most of the tones in the gradient in the sky to a clipped yellow approaching white.

You think that sky is how the original exposure looked? I'm beginning to understand the source of all your erroneous claims about how dishonest that 5DS example was... it was your poor assumptions all along.

Sporgon said:
Do you actually experiment with these cameras to see how far you can push them to your advantage ? I do when I get a body I haven't used before. I'm attaching a shot taken with the M3 (you know, that camera ) where i was seeing how far I could push the over exposure of a blue sky, at mid day, and pull full detail back in ACR. You can see that even the histogram is telling me that I've clipped, yet the resultant pull has kept full detail, with nothing lost in the blue of the sky.

Yes, we do. Your anecdotal example is just that: an anecdotal example irrelevant to higher DR scenes. And I can think of a million scenes with far more DR than the tiny DR scene you've chosen as your example...

Furthermore, this is why our actual tests aren't anecdotal - our studio comparisons level the playing field, and show differences between cameras. Up to you to decide and figure out how they translate to real world shooting, since we can't encompass all real world scenarios in our test scene. We'd love, but we can't, so we try to provide perspective where we can (and do real-world sunset shootouts, which are then pulled apart for not being 0.01% closer to the perfect

Sporgon said:
The point with your 5Ds image is that the highlights are under exposed by at least 1.5 stops,

Incorrect. Less than one stop according to RawDigger. How/why are you assuming it was 'at least 1.5 stops'?

Sporgon said:
resulting in you lifting the dark shadows off the sensor floor where it has recorded virtually zero detail in very thin light.

A 3 EV push (around what I did of the foreground grass) of ISO 250 is equivalent to ISO 2000. So then are you claiming that when you take a shot at ISO 2000, you're recording 'virtually zero detail in very thin light' at the level of your sensor prior to ISO amplification? So you never shoot at ISO 2000 or above on full-frame?

The fact remains that a camera with little to no read noise would've rendered that grass just fine (like an ISO 2000 shot), whereas the 5DS didn't. End of story.

Sporgon said:
You can put this to bed by letting us have access to the raw file, but you know you have seriously under exposed those highlights and no one is going to need raw digger to discover that.

I could, but on principle I won't. Because last time I did during a similar discussion, the people who realized we were in fact less than 1/3 EV from clipping the skies turned to other conspiracy theories. The plane in the background sky had flown further in the Nikon shot, so it was shot later than the Canon shot, which meant a scene with less DR. Ironically, about a half hour after sunset, the later you shoot, the higher the scene DR. Whoops. Nevermind it only took the plane a matter of seconds to move that much...

It appears some will find any (irrational or simply erroneously deduced) reason to say 'you could've done better', which just wastes my time more. Or they'll apply a massive amount of noise reduction and say 'see it looks OK now!' -- which misses the point entirely.

Worse, it ignores the fact that a better performing camera wouldn't have asked you to perfectly nail exposure within less than a 1/3 EV to get better performance - a laughable expectation for any working pro that isn't a studio or landscape photographer. I just checked my shot both in RawDigger and on the back of the camera. On the back of the camera, the sky is blown to a clipped yellow, and histograms show a clipped red channel (green approaching clipping). RawDigger says tones in the sky are less than 1 EV of clipping (8700 in a 14-bit Raw file), so for the perfect exposure I could've increased ISO at most 2/3 EV.

Are you telling me that if you're working in the field and take that shot, then see a clipped yellow sky above the mountains, you're going to think to yourself 'let me raise the ISO exactly 2/3 EV (my shutter speed & aperture have already bottomed out) but definitely not 1 EV... no that would clip my sky gradient!'

If so, you're probably a robot, hardwired into the camera sensor. Kudos. But even if you were, you might also be able to accept the fact that an ISO-invariant (higher base ISO DR, or lower read noise) camera would've allowed you to just not worry, and move on to something far more interesting, like iterating the model pose, heck interacting with the model, changing the key/rim light, etc.

Heck, if I wanted to be really safe and make sure none of the gradient in the sky were lost, I might have even underexposed more after looking at the clipped channels in the JPEG preview!

To sum up: your entire argument is predicated upon the notion that a photographer who knew what he was doing would obviously have known to - despite a completely clipped yellow sky in the JPEG preview on the back of his camera - raise the ISO from 250 to either 320 or 500, but not 640. In the field. While posing the model, talking to her, choosing focus precisely because F2, placing the rim light, placing the key light, figuring out their proper balance, then figuring out the proper balance of flash to background.

Let's let that sink in...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
rishi_sanyal said:
Sporgon said:

I could, but on principle I won't.

It has, you are a lying coward.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
rishi_sanyal said:
Sporgon said:

Ah, selective editing of text to change implied intent, and name-calling. Tools used often by the rational and informed.

I did one better than provide the Raw file - I provided raw readouts of the relevant channels in the sky, & a description of the OOC JPEG, to explain to people that at best the already-clipped JPEG shot could've tolerated 2/3 EV higher ISO (importantly: not exposure) at most in Raw.

So that the rest of the readers on here - the rational ones - might appreciate how ridiculous of an assertion it is to claim a photographer should be able to perfectly ETTR a Raw within less than 2/3 EV error in the field. Every. Time. No matter how complex the shoot.

I've seen what providing the Raws in the midst of heated discussions like this does. I've done it before. I've learned. Nothing to do with being a lying coward, and everything to do with someone who's learned from past behavior.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
rishi_sanyal said:
privatebydesign said:
rishi_sanyal said:
Sporgon said:

Ah, selective editing of text to change implied intent, and name-calling. Tools used often by the rational and informed.

I did one better than provide the Raw file - I provided raw readouts of the relevant channels in the sky, & a description of the OOC JPEG, to explain to people that at best the already-clipped JPEG shot could've tolerated 2/3 EV higher ISO (importantly: not exposure) at most in Raw.

So that the rest of the readers on here - the rational ones - might appreciate how ridiculous of an assertion it is to claim a photographer should be able to perfectly ETTR a Raw within less than 2/3 EV error in the field. Every. Time. No matter how complex the shoot.

I've seen what providing the Raws in the midst of heated discussions like this does. I've done it before. I've learned. Nothing to do with being a lying coward, and everything to do with someone who's learned from past behavior.

More prevaricating, you are so full of it is farcical. At this point who exactly do you think you are fooling?

DPR posts thousands of raw files, we have asked for one, there would be nothing difficult in you doing that and nothing is "better than that", anything else is evasion. Anything less is an insult to your readers.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
rishi_sanyal said:
The red herring was actually coming from those talking about the model exposure, which has absolute nothing to do with the DR limitations I mentioned.

??

Well you are throwing a few more now ;)

rishi_sanyal said:
The original OOC JPEG had lost most of the tones in the gradient in the sky to a clipped yellow approaching white.

You think that sky is how the original exposure looked? I'm beginning to understand the source of all your erroneous claims about how dishonest that 5DS example was... it was your poor assumptions all along.

Where did I say that ? I showed in my M3 example how over exposed the jpeg / raw preview can look, and yet even with blue pull it back no problem with no loss of saturation (because it's only about one stop over from where it should be).

rishi_sanyal said:
Going to stop you right there. No camera is better than another at highlight recovery, so it doesn't matter what software I'm using. This is a fundamental property of current CMOS linear capture. So your anecdotal examples of how much highlight you recovered in this or that shot means nothing - you could recover that much from a Nikon, or Sony, or what have you shot as well. That's why we look at the shadows, where read noise performance differences between cameras do make a difference in DR.

I didn't say Canon cameras, I said these 'latest cameras coupled with up to date raw converters'. My argument is, and always has been, that if you use the available highlight room you won't run into the problems of looking at the shadows. Yes, you don't need to state you look at shadows; we've noticed ;) Canon or Sony or Nikon - whatever.

It would have mattered what software you were using. Later converters read the highlight headroom much better, and so have offset some of the lower DR of Canons somewhat, by allowing slower exposures and not such deep shadows in the first place. Do you deny this ?

rishi_sanyal said:
Yes, we do. Your anecdotal example is just that: an anecdotal example irrelevant to higher DR scenes. And I can think of a million scenes with far more DR than the tiny DR scene you've chosen as your example...

Another red herring. My example had nothing to do with being extreme DR. It was showing how much you can over expose and retain highlights and even blue saturation whilst your shadow data is not as deep. I did state I over exposed for the sake of it.

rishi_sanyal said:
Incorrect. Less than one stop according to RawDigger. How/why are you assuming it was 'at least 1.5 stops'?

If the dark tones that you had been trying to lift had had one stop greater exposure you would have had a much improved response in tonal quality. Do you deny this ? One stop off the sensor floor makes a huge difference in these Canon sensors.

Which really is my point; you never really tried to make any effort in optimising the Canon exposures. Your attitude appears to be 'if I can under expose it on the Nikon then I should be able to on the Canon. And if I can't it's tough titty'.
That's fine if you state this fact; the 5Ds can produce the image but exposure-wise it is harder to achieve. Which is a fair conclusion, and pretty well how you dealt with the lower DR of the Nikon D5.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Sporgon, I don't really like the tone that the bias discussion has taken but I, before seeing any CR material, had concluded there was a bias a while back. At this point I'm content to let it slide but I really would like to hear Rishi on your quote, because your point makes sense to me.

"Which really is my point; you never really tried to make any effort in optimising the Canon exposures. Your attitude appears to be 'if I can under expose it on the Nikon then I should be able to on the Canon. And if I can't it's tough titty'.
That's fine if you state this fact; the 5Ds can produce the image but exposure-wise it is harder to achieve. Which is a fair conclusion, and pretty well how you dealt with the lower DR of the Nikon D5."

Upvote 0
rishi_sanyal said:

Rational? I don't think you are qualified to make that judgement. Someone with an opinion which is way higher than his abilities would suggest, is hardly in any place to consider anyone as rational or irrational. You say that you don't like to be name called (troll and coward) and yet you make statements that claim only the rational would agree with your line of thinking. Yet, many here who are rational don't agree with your line of thinking. To suggest otherwise is a self inflating, circular and egocentric argument.

Well, CanonFanBoy managed to do that just fine...how hard can it be? Meter for the background...meter for the subject...dial in the exposure difference...adjust an re-shoot if necessary. Assuming...one is a Canon "get it right in camera" kind of guy and not a Nikon "bodge it and hope the shadows are pull able later" kind of guy.
Here's a link to CanonFanBoy's image. He seems to have nailed the rising sun exposure and the model's flash exposure correctly :
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27692.105

No need for wide DR here...he got the exposure right, apparently according to his post....it wasn't that hard. Two meterings and a bit of compensation math. I guess that is what I would call rational...the application of science, application of photographic education and a dollop of talent.

So what is my point here? Your original photo, although nice was poorly executed and failed to nail the correct exposure of the background. Indicating that your fading background light was poorly considered and that you used a Shadow pull to save your near-failed photo. It's a poor example of photographic situation that needed a higher DR than the camera was able to offer because you had complete control over the background and the subject light exposures. A better choice is where the subject had too much contrast in a scene to photograph normally (such as sunlight though a semi silhouetted tree) than a photo that uses Shadow pull to hide the mistakes made by the photographer. A raw file was requested to prove this point. The issue isn't in the file itself but the choice to even use that file to highlight a failed reasoning to start with. The idea that a Canon 5D4 is a worse camera than a Nikon D810 because it can't cover the photographer's ass so well when he/she screws up is hardly the fault of the camera. It's blame shifting the issue from the photographer to the camera. I could counter this line of thought quite easily by pointing out that in exotic cars, the more exotic they are, the more critical they are of your driving skills and less forgiving of driver mistakes. I believe the same is true of cameras...a professional tool would expect you to have a professional level of metering mastery and of the cameras inherent DR, which I believe is the same for both cameras? Around 12 stops.

While I agree about DPR's work on ISO invariance. I cannot agree with your muddled use of the subject of DR. You are confusing a camera's range of DR with it's ability to pull iso exposure from shadows in a RAW editor. The two subjects are completely different. DR is defined as the usable exposure range from complete black to complete light. On a 12 bit camera file, that's a range of 0 to 4096, or 12 stops. Out of that 12 stops, 8 are generally usable.
Here's is one of my many DR references:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dynamic-range.htm

The only way to truly capture a wide DR, isn't to pull the dark shadows using iso variance...but to shoot at different exposures and combine them in Post production using HDR software. This will produce a clean file with high dynamic range and little to no iso noise.

Upvote 0