Dragonflies and Damselflies

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I guessed this was a female Blacktailed Skimmer ...
From the color you could be right. But the abdomen looks too round in profile. It should be flattened for a skimmer.
If it is indeed round I would guess this to be a young female darter, e.g. compare to this.
They turn more brownish when they get older.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
From the color you could be right. But the abdomen looks too round in profile. It should be flattened for a skimmer.
If it is indeed round I would guess this to be a young female darter, e.g. compare to this.
They turn more brownish when they get older.
You are probably right. The two females are quite similar but it does look like a young darter flirting with the skimmers.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Great shot, Alan.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I have never got this close to an Emperor Dragonfly before, it was just a few cm beyond the 3m mfd of the lens.
Looks like it has had some adventures...

Last time the weather was good enough I had the first time one of these sitting. Normally I only see them in flight and too far away for a shot.
The one sitting was closer than 2 m. When I recognized it and raised my cam it flew away. At least I could see one that close for a few seconds.
Maybe tomorrow...

Upvote 0
Feeling a second class citizen because I haven't an R5, went to a lake with the old DSLR to see if I can still do BIF. My cameras all have a flaw that makes BIF difficult - no flying birds. Instead, got a DIF of an Emperor coming straight at me. It was 10m away.

View attachment 191661
What shutter speed are you using to freeze wing motion?

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
You all have inspired me, I don't know how you get such fantastic images but I've been giving it a go and finally have a decent shot. In the shade so higher ISO and it's kind of eating some of the detail, but it's a start. The raw file shows the eyes very well, but sized for the web it's not coming through at all. This is at f11...and the entire head isn't even in focus. jeez haha.

R5_100_0999.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0