Dragonflies and Damselflies

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's another of my little ironic, self-deprecatory, jokes that members of CR who use the spelling Rumour will realise immediately but not all of those who spell it Rumor. I don't use a ;) to denote a joke unless doing otherwise might offend someone who got the wrong end of the stick.
:D! In my family we daily mix 3 languages, despite we all have just the same one primary... Especially difficult is my daughter who when irritated is switching to crescendo of American English and when she finish her tirade I use to ask "and what did you just told me?!:LOL:" She came here with just few English words but graduated High School as a Summa Cum Laude and also the college with the same success...
I'm pretty aware of your "little" irony and I like it (but time to time I have a problem to make the difference with a sarcasm...) but in the recent times the discussions about the abilities of different brands/models cameras are making me kind of nervous: it sounds in general like the cameras are doing the jobs by themselves, not the people behind of the cameras. If we all were shooting cellphones in this forum I would +/-agree with such an agenda but... well, you know the rest!
Nice shots BTW and I really don't care what instrument you had in your hands!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's another of my little ironic, self-deprecatory, jokes that members of CR who use the spelling Rumour will realise immediately but not all of those who spell it Rumor. I don't use a ;) to denote a joke unless doing otherwise might offend someone who got the wrong end of the stick.

If you thought I was doing anything other than delivering a good natured raspberry to our spelling-challenged speakers of a different dialect of American, I apologize. Hell, I will even apologise if that's what it takes.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you thought I was doing anything other than delivering a good natured raspberry to our spelling-challenged speakers of a different dialect of American, I apologize. Hell, I will even apologise if that's what it takes.
It wasn't aimed at you. Anyone who knows "s" and "z" usage has a big plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I really like the first one. Well done, mpeeps.
Same here, mpeeps :)

Just one remark and hint if wanted:
The background on pic one is quite nervous and noisy, either from high ISO or too much sharpening.
First one cannot be avoided if light is too bad, but try to avoid oversharpening.

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Same here, mpeeps :)

Just one remark and hint if wanted:
The background on pic one is quite nervous and noisy, either from high ISO or too much sharpening.
First one cannot be avoided if light is too bad, but try to avoid oversharpening.
Thanks. But, I didn't sharpen anything other than what I already have set up in camera; usually +1 or +2. I probably uped the clarity, so that could be it. I used the 100 macro and 5dsr. The dragonfly wasn't spooked by my presence for some reason, but was not in a good position for me.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... I didn't sharpen anything other than what I already have set up in camera; usually +1 or +2. I probably uped the clarity, so that could be it. I used the 100 macro and 5dsr. The dragonfly wasn't spooked by my presence for some reason, but was not in a good position for me.
I am sure you didn't if you say so. Maybe just share the EXIF data.
When I look at the pic and the BG I would suppose that this pic was taken at ISO 3200 (at least > ISO 2000). If so then it was reason #1 (too high ISO) and not PP.
And I surely didn't want to offend you but just help you to improve an already very good pic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... alternate the front and rear wing beats. Is that actually happening, or is it an optical illusion?
They do! But not always!
It is depending on what maneuver they are doing. Hovering, accelerating, banking, etc.
They are very capable of control wings independantly. By which degree I am not sure anymore.
Do I remember right that they can also fly backwards? :unsure:

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Pretty interesting how they seem to alternate the front and rear wing beats. Is that actually happening, or is it an optical illusion?
There are several posts on the previous page or so that clearly show the front and rear wings beat out of phase. The nicest example is a head-on animated gif of a Hawker dragonfly, and also a head-on single shot of a Common Blue Damselfly.

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
I am sure you didn't if you say so. Maybe just share the EXIF data.
When I look at the pic and the BG I would suppose that this pic was taken at ISO 3200 (at least > ISO 2000). If so then it was reason #1 (too high ISO) and not PP.
And I surely didn't want to offend you but just help you to improve an already very good pic.
You haven't offended me. It was high ISO, 4000 with light fading fast. The 5DSR is not the greatest with high ISO's. I still only managed 1/100, which in my old hands is approaching my limit! I could have opened it up more as I used f5.6 for better dof. That was where I could have improved it and auto ISO with it.

Upvote 0