Dragonflies and Damselflies

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It was on my first day’s testing with the R5 that I got a DIF and it clinched it for me that the R5 was a keeper. It locked on so quickly without any discernible lag. You just need patience and wait until they slow down.
Thanks Alan!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can't resist posting another Migrant Hawker DIF, shot 191, on my R5, the first day out with it for testing, following shot number 188 posted 19 Sept. I literally shouted with glee when I chimped this as it was the best DIF I had ever got. This was using the 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC. There are some snarky comments on FM about the 1.4x on the 100-400, but I have found it excellent, and on the R5 it focusses really fast. This one is closely cropped to show the detail you can capture. These shots sold the R5 to me as I could have returned it. You have to see this at large size to see the detail.

309A0191NN_migrant_hawker_flying-ss_crop.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
After all the great DIF shots here is a DOF!
Dragonfly on finger:D
I wanted to shot this dragonfly from a small distance but it flew up an landed back on my hand holding the camera. And of cause this is my right index finger. It is not easy to use a camera with the left hand for a right-handed person. Espacially if a manual Laowa 60mm is fixed to a EOS R and you don't want to scare the insect.
DOF.jpg
Uncropped at MFD, ISO 1250 1/60s f/8
2x magnification and about 50mm between lens and dragonfly

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Dear all

Normally I photograph flying dragonflies with Canon, last year most of the flight pictures were taken with an Olympus. I have been doing normal macros with Olympus for about 5 years, but sometimes I also have a Canon with me.

Calopteryx virgo, male
[/url]
Calopteryx splendens, female

[/url]
Anax imperator, male

[/url]

Crocothemis erythraea, male

[/url]

Best regards Helmut
Great photos Helmi!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
First sighting of this year. Twas gone so fast that I didn't have the time to get a pic with more DOF (edit: f/16 was not enough, position was the key).
I also didn't have the time to determine the exact species. If one can tell me straightaway, thanks in advance.

20210424_0121.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0