Beautiful series, koenkool.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It seems I've found a new resident at our local ponds. I've never seen those before here or anywhere else.
It took me some time to determine the species and I am still not 100% sure.
I suppose it is a male western clubtail (gomphus pulchellus) but it could be also some other member of the genus gomphus.
If someone can confirm this or help me please let me know. Thanks in advance.

clubtail_01.JPG

clubtail_02.JPG

clubtail_03.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Not much going on this weekend. Put the kayak in the water for the first time this year, and first time at the park with the 100-500 + 2xTC. A very low tide on a windy day was not ideal for photography. Practically impossible to shoot without getting out of the kayak or letting the wind push me to the bank and bracing with one leg for something loosely resembling stability.

Got this the first time I pulled up on a small sand bar...a very cooperative Blue Dasher. 1000mm, f/14 @ ISO 6400
R5_102_7528_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I have another sequence with a story behind it, but I'll have to pp the pics first. :)
I promised you a story and here it is. Sorry for the delay but it took me some time to decide for the right pics and pp them.
I'd call the story:

The quarrel over the spooky honeymoon suite
  1. Pic: A four-spot was residing well at a good perch.
  2. Pic: When it went for hunting a couple of red-eyed damselflies (erythromma najas) decided to make it their honeymoon suite.
    But they had another guest: a white exuvia! :eek: how spooky, isn't it? ;)
  3. Pic: When four-spot came back it was really angry.
  4. Pic: First it was wheeling over the honeymoon suite.
  5. Pic: Then it decided to land - threatening the red-eyes.
  6. Pic: But in the end they decided, that the honeymoon suite was overcrowded and left.
    And four-spot was alone again with its exuvia "friend".
Enjoy ;)

1 fourspott_vs_redeye_1.JPG 2 fourspott_vs_redeye_2.JPG 3 fourspott_vs_redeye_3.JPG

4 fourspott_vs_redeye_4.JPG 5 fourspott_vs_redeye_5.JPG 6 fourspott_vs_redeye_6.JPG

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0