Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yesterday, I posted shots taken at 80m away of a Southern Hawker Dragonfly in the beak of a Bee-eater (R7/800mm). By the greatest coincidence, at breakfast back home this morning, an absolute monster of a Southern Hawker flew into our kitchen and I had the R5+100-500 at hand. Here's first a crop of the bird and today's close-ups.

3R3A7499-DxO_Beeeater+southern_hawker_dragonfly_800mm_80m-ls-sh-v_crop-2_00x.jpgSouthern_Hawker_Dragonfly-ls-sm_inKitchen_crop.jpg309A5765-DxO_Southern_Hawker_Dragonfly_in_kitchen_1-ls-sh_crop.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yesterday, I posted shots taken at 80m away of a Southern Hawker Dragonfly in the beak of a Bee-eater (R7/800mm). By the greatest coincidence, at breakfast back home this morning, an absolute monster of a Southern Hawker flew into our kitchen and I had the R5+100-500 at hand. Here's first a crop of the bird and today's close-ups.
Great shots, Alan.
I've seen several of those at my local ponds. But they never rested or hovered or came back. So not even a chance to aim at them.
Seems they were just short time visitors.
I've read that the male southern hawkers (yours in the kitchen seem to be a female) are one of the most curious dragonflies.
Maybe the female are, too. And it was looking for your breakfast...? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A dragonfly landed in our garden and was relaxed enough to get photographed up close with the RF100L + MT14EX:
20220811 1435 49 Nederland Amersfoort - Canon EOS R5 - RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM at 100 mm ...jpeg20220811 1432 37 Nederland Amersfoort - Canon EOS R5 - RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM at 100 mm ...jpeg20220811 1430 03 Nederland Amersfoort - Canon EOS R5 - RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM at 100 mm ...jpeg

I did have to stand on a chair to get to eye level :) The black background is the wall of the neighbours house, built from black bricks. I think the blue sky would've been nicer, but this works as well.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
A dragonfly landed in our garden and was relaxed enough to get photographed up close with the RF100L + MT14EX:

I did have to stand on a chair to get to eye level :) The black background is the wall of the neighbours house, built from black bricks. I think the blue sky would've been nicer, but this works as well.
Really nice, @koenkooi.
Interesting that it landed on that Velcro fastener. Wouldn't have expected that.
IMO the Black BG looks really fine. Gives the colours of the dragonfly more glow.

Interesting that it takes the sun pointer position, which I read about and firs recognized only this year.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Really nice, @koenkooi.
Interesting that it landed on that Velcro fastener. Wouldn't have expected that.
IMO the Black BG looks really fine. Gives the colours of the dragonfly more glow.

Interesting that it takes the sun pointer position, which I read about and firs recognized only this year.
I learned about the pose from your post in this thread :)

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
More exercise for DIF - this time with the 500mm prime. On the second photo the brown spot left of the dragons was a duck. They pass safely around that duck but later descended sharply (and I lost them). I looked above the camera just to see next duck snapping them (and I hear the sound!!!). No time to react otherwise it could be (eventually) interesting photo. I think they descended to the water for ovisporing - I noticed them doing it around fallen leafs moments before the action.

DSC_6950_DxO.jpgDSC_6961_DxO.jpgDSC_6966_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0