DxO Optics Pro 9 released

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
mackguyver said:
It was Christmas photo time at my house last night so still no time to play with v9 for the CR forum, but I can report 2 things:

1. The new Portrait preset is pretty amazing in terms of getting you very close to ideal settings in one click
2. DON'T try PRIME on ISO 100 photos! I thought DxO was going to have a heart attack as it spent 3:34 processing one photo! Most of my PRIME shots have processed in less than 30s, but my "experiment" at ISO 100 was a hilarious failure. Yes, I had to try...
I think the presets are pretty amazing too! Almost wonder if they're too good! Don't want to take all the fun out of processing! lol!

I was going to try an ISO 100 image as well but hadn't had an opportunity yet, perhaps I'll pass! ha ha!

Upvote 0

• Also, some random DxO tips:
    • If you have more than 2 cores/processors, change the Preferences to match - it sets it to 2 by default
    [/quote]

I don't see anything in the preferences for setting the number of cores, just the cache size and GPU acceleration? I like optics pro but would like it to work faster. That is something I like about DPP, it just pops open and is good for quick sorting and deleting.

Upvote 0
Anyone using this new version after applying preset/doing your thing....do you notice color fringing around the edges at all?
By edges I mean like around a person with a bright sky. It seems to be messing up for me, on more then one photo.
I read on their forum that it is clipping shadows by default...could that be what im seeing?

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
mackguyver said:
The new Portrait preset is pretty amazing in terms of getting you very close to ideal settings in one click

But is the ideal look still the ideal look if everybody who can click once is able to get it :) ?
Good point, and probably not in terms of style, but in terms of portrait basics like desaturating reds, softening skin imperfections while sharpening eyelashes and such that you probably want to with any portrait, it works great. It's a great start and from there, you can tweak to your heart's content to make it your own :)

candc said:

• Also, some random DxO tips:
    • If you have more than 2 cores/processors, change the Preferences to match - it sets it to 2 by default

• I don't see anything in the preferences for setting the number of cores, just the cache size and GPU acceleration? I like optics pro but would like it to work faster. That is something I like about DPP, it just pops open and is good for quick sorting and deleting.
    [/quote]

It's under Preferences>Advanced and there should be a slider to adjust the number of cores/processors, but DxO cautions:
    "DxO Optics Pro uses all of your computer’s core processors to process one or several images. However, if you increase the number of images you want to process, make sure that you have enough RAM available so that you can take full advantage of your processors, rather than risking being slowed down because of the rate of data exchange between the RAM and the hard drive."

Upvote 0
wsgroves said:
Only option I saw was to switch how many images can get rendered at one, and the cache setting.
Ok, that's it, the number of images at once used to be labeled as the number of cores/threads used and I'm sure it's the same function. It's still set to 2 by default I think.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
candc said:
they must have changed what that setting does because i tried it with 4,2 and 5 in order and exported the same image. it didn't make any difference, just a bit slower each time from everything heating up.

Each core will process one image at a time, so using >1 core for 1 image offers no benefit. Try it again with >4 images.

Upvote 0
ok, so i guess that means it will do better processing multiple images if you set the value higher but there will not be any improvement on single image processing time. i tried raising the max cache value and that didn't seem to matter either?

i have just done some experimenting so far but it sounds like that prime actually performs faster with high iso images and slows down with lower iso ones?

Upvote 0
candc said:
ok, so i guess that means it will do better processing multiple images if you set the value higher but there will not be any improvement on single image processing time. i tried raising the max cache value and that didn't seem to matter either?

i have just done some experimenting so far but it sounds like that prime actually performs faster with high iso images and slows down with lower iso ones?
The performance stuff only applies to processing more images at once, and PRIME slows every image down, no matter the ISO, but there is so much data and so little noise for it to work with at ISO 100, it really kills it.

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
mackguyver said:
candc said:

The performance stuff only applies to processing more images at once, and PRIME slows every image down, no matter the ISO, but there is so much data and so little noise for it to work with at ISO 100, it really kills it.

I must be doing something wrong, I haven't had an image take over 45-60 seconds yet... hmm... ???

Upvote 0
i am running it on an a 64bit asus i7 q740 laptop with 6gb ram and ati radeon hd 5870, its a couple years old but photoshop and everything else runs pretty quick on it. maybe its the 64bit version? sometimes that can be slower than the 32bit version? i really like optics pro and will continue using it but i would like to speed it up.

Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Okay, so I'm going to upload 5 images... 1 is the original saved as a jpeg, no editing. 2nd will be a crop of the noise factor after hitting "auto tone" in the "basic" section of LR5. 3rd will be my LR5 edit, 4th will be the DXO auto edit and lastly I took my LR5 edit and sent it through DXO as a tiff file and let it do what it would to the already edited image.

I don't know if this is helpful or not or anyone is interested for sure, but here it is, this is an image I thought about tossing after seeing the severely underexposed original...

All the best! :)

Attachments

• original-6980.JPG
    original-6980.JPG
    921.1 KB · Views: 453
  • noise crop-6980.JPG
    noise crop-6980.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 444
  • 0C2A6980.JPG
    0C2A6980.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 459
Upvote 0

Krob78

Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Krob78 said:
Okay, so I'm going to upload 5 images... 1 is the original saved as a jpeg, no editing. 2nd will be a crop of the noise factor after hitting "auto tone" in the "basic" section of LR5. 3rd will be my LR5 edit, 4th will be the DXO auto edit and lastly I took my LR5 edit and sent it through DXO as a tiff file and let it do what it would to the already edited image.

I don't know if this is helpful or not or anyone is interested for sure, but here it is, this is an image I thought about tossing after seeing the severely underexposed original...

All the best! :)

I had to run the last two through DPP to resize in order to upload. They are DXO auto edit first, then LR5, DXO auto edit combination 2 lastly...

Like to hear your thoughts...

Attachments

• 0C2A6980_DxO- dpp5- dpp5- dpp5.JPG
    0C2A6980_DxO- dpp5- dpp5- dpp5.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 444
  • 0C2A6980lr5_DxO_combo- dpp5.JPG
    0C2A6980lr5_DxO_combo- dpp5.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 486
Upvote 0