EF 11-24 f/4L USM Specifications

tron said:
Spectrum said:
This lens is giving me G.A.S. I will be selling my 14mm f/2.8L II very soon...
For astrophotography 2.8 cannot be beaten astro-tracker cannot be beaten as even f2.8 and high ISO won't print worth a damn.... Other than that I agree...

There, I fixed it for you. :)
Even a well made cheapo barn door tracker is vastly better than f2.8 static. Printing is abysmal even with a FF sensor and f2.8 or faster lens set at 30 seconds or slower.

Upvote 0
StoneColdCoffee said:
And that's what I would need it for. why why why does it have to be f/4. I really hope the specs are wrong.

Making something of that focal range an f/2.8 would make the lens much, much bigger than in the pic being shown, much, much heavier and obscenely expensive.

I currently have the Sigma 12-24 II. It's currently the widest rectilinear lens you can get for full frame DSLRs. It's of a decent size but it's f/4.5-5.6. Something that is a constant f/4 that is even wider on the short end and is of better optical quality is already going to be bigger, heavier and more expensive. Just imagine it at a constant /2.8.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
bereninga said:
Can't wait to see the price and the photos from this beast! I won't be getting one myself since it'll be over my budget, but I'll just appreciate the images it produces.
I will also appreciate images produced by this beast because I will super expensive, beside very heavy for a UWA lens

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
romanr74 said:
I'd be intersted in seeing a wider-than-16mm CPL example (for my personal education) if someone has one to share...
I've not an image at hand here because my shortest focal is 16mm (but the 11-24 could change it..), but look at images containing foliage or water. Both are two common "subjects" that can highly polarize light. Most images where you see highly "transparent" water, are probably made using a PL, as well landscapes with lot of foliage in it.
When you also control the light source i.e. some interior shooting - you may use a PL filter put in front of the light source. That's because only direct reflection will preserve polarization, while diffusion will not, converting into unpolarized light.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
Spectrum said:
For astrophotography 2.8 cannot be beaten astro-tracker cannot be beaten as even f2.8 and high ISO won't print worth a damn.... Other than that I agree...

Even a well made cheapo barn door tracker is vastly better than f2.8 static. Printing is abysmal even with a FF sensor and f2.8 or faster lens set at 30 seconds or slower.

I do have astro tracker. Rumor has it that the landscape (forground) part of the photo gets blurred when using it though ::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
tron said:
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
Spectrum said:

I do have astro tracker. Rumor has it that the landscape (forground) part of the photo gets blurred when using it though ::) ::) ::)

You can move the camera position from one shot to the next. Don't be stuck with thinking your tripod needs to be in the same place for foreground and background. If you worry about parallax error with objects light years away, then I don't know if there is any helping you get better shots. :) :)

That's just the reality of astro landscapes and being able to print well. Static single exposures just don't cut it with current technology.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
Spectrum said:

You can move the camera position from one shot to the next. Don't be stuck with thinking your tripod needs to be in the same place for foreground and background. If you worry about parallax error with objects light years away, then I don't know if there is any helping you get better shots. :) :)

That's just the reality of astro landscapes and being able to print well. Static single exposures just don't cut it with current technology.
I have thought too of blending 2 photos into one. Forground shot at lower ISO with many minutes exposure and background (stars) with astrotrac also at rather low ISO and many minutes exposure (I have already done that for a pure galaxy shot). But I feel this as being a little cheating. I generaly use my 5D3 at ISO 10000, shoot at 25 sec (14mm) at 2.8 and get decent results. The most difficult problem is to avoid car headlights from aside. The bulb element of 14mm does not help a lot so I dream of a new coma free 16-35 2.8 lens with a flat element that will take hood just fine.

But yes I will try blending this summer.

Upvote 0
tron said:
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
Spectrum said:

I have thought too of blending 2 photos into one. Forground shot at lower ISO with many minutes exposure and background (stars) with astrotrac also at rather low ISO and many minutes exposure (I have already done that for a pure galaxy shot). But I feel this as being a little cheating. I generaly use my 5D3 at ISO 10000, shoot at 25 sec (14mm) at 2.8 and get decent results. The most difficult problem is to avoid car headlights from aside. The bulb element of 14mm does not help a lot so I dream of a new coma free 16-35 2.8 lens with a flat element that will take hood just fine.

I use this method for doing daytime focus stacking, when bokeh fringing becomes a problem. It works really well! Just use the foreground shot to align the BG where it needs to be to be realistic. I don't see that as cheating, as much as being clever and one-upping the competition. I've been told by countless people that it's impossible to aoid bokeh fringing, when they have the mindset that the camera must never move. For my focus stacking, I will crank the tripod column up to get it over flower and stuff that are causing the fringing in the focus stack. :)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
KitsVancouver said:
The updated specs say there is a rear drop in filter, but I don't see anything in the image. Does that make sense to anyone?
If it's like the 14mm it's just behind the rear lens, a metal frame accepting gelatin filters. When mounted, it's inside the camera - and you need to remove the lens to remove/change the filter. Not the most practical solution. It's not like some drop-in filter holders on tele lenses.

IIRC some old FD UWA or fish-eye lenses had embedded filters which could be selected via a lens ring - IIRC Sky, some classic B/W filters, and maybe an ND (but not PL). I didn't see it used anymore - too expensive, not really useful, or it didn't work properly? Never had then any of those lenses...

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
PhotographyFirst said:
tron said:
Spectrum said:

I use this method for doing daytime focus stacking, when bokeh fringing becomes a problem. It works really well! Just use the foreground shot to align the BG where it needs to be to be realistic. I don't see that as cheating, as much as being clever and one-upping the competition. I've been told by countless people that it's impossible to avoid bokeh fringing, when they have the mindset that the camera must never move. For my focus stacking, I will crank the tripod column up to get it over flower and stuff that are causing the fringing in the focus stack. :)
A trick that I think is halfway between the two (and does not require tracking) is to take a shot of the whole scene just with tripod and another one of the foreground using lower ISO (and longer exposure of course). Then I guess the cleaner foreground can be superimposed in a front layer.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I only have a super-tele with a drop-in filter and have never seen a lens with the filter mechanism that you described.

LDS said:
KitsVancouver said:
The updated specs say there is a rear drop in filter, but I don't see anything in the image. Does that make sense to anyone?
If it's like the 14mm it's just behind the rear lens, a metal frame accepting gelatin filters. When mounted, it's inside the camera - and you need to remove the lens to remove/change the filter. Not the most practical solution. It's not like some drop-in filter holders on tele lenses.

IIRC some old FD UWA or fish-eye lenses had embedded filters which could be selected via a lens ring - IIRC Sky, some classic B/W filters, and maybe an ND (but not PL). I didn't see it used anymore - too expensive, not really useful, or it didn't work properly? Never had then any of those lenses...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
tron said:
Spectrum said:
For astrophotography 2.8 cannot be beaten.... Other than that I agree...

no, that's nightscapes. Astrophotography is an exacting photographic discipline all in itself that most would laugh at the thought of doing unguided photographs.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
rrcphoto said:
tron said:
Spectrum said:
For astrophotography 2.8 cannot be beaten.... Other than that I agree...

no, that's nightscapes. Astrophotography is an exacting photographic discipline all in itself that most would laugh at the thought of doing unguided photographs.
If you read the previous posts you will see that I have explained later that I meant landscape astrophotography... so yes nightscapes basically...

Upvote 0