EF 50mm f/1.4L IS USM

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Welcome to CR. Canon has stated that there will be no more development of the EF lens line unless there is a great demand. That lens is a very old design, so it's not likely to be refreshed. If/when you move to an RF camera, there is the exceptional (optics, size, price) RF f/1.2L and there will likely be a modestly priced RF 50 f/1.8 IS STM in the not too distant future.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi and welcome rsit_richard to CR!

Any update if Canon has plans for a new EF 50mm f/1.4L IS USM?

I fully second brad-mans reply.
There are some people, including me, that would love to see such a lens or at least a f/1.8 version which would be more likely.
Especially one specific member of this forum has his burden with this topic. Let's see if he'll appear here to give his comment, too ;)
But I suppose there is not enough demand to make Canon move.

If you are looking for a good EF bayonet 50 mm and don't posess the EF 50/1.8 STM already take a look at this cheap but very decent in IQ.
If you want something better take a closer look at the Sigma and Tamron eqivalents.

I went the 50 STM road, still hoping for a higher quality 50 from Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My choice was a bit different.
Since I tend to dislike "plasticky" lenses, I rejected the 50mm STM option, and bought (used) the excellent Zeiss Classic 50mm Planar (also macro 1:2 !) and never regretted it.
I also own the even better 2,8/60 Leica Macro Elmarit, its disadvantage is having to operate with closed diaphragm (no issue on an EOS R, but on a DSLR).
Of course, there is the Sigma option, high IQ, and very hight weight...plus sometimes focusing troubles.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As brad-man wrote, Canon has announced it would not release new EF lenses unless there's high demand, so I wouldn't expect any new ones at all.

My impression is between improved zoom IQ and shrinking market, there's no market for mid level primes, e.g. photographers who buy f/4 zooms and f/~1.8 primes.
But we're getting F4 zooms and 1.8 or 2.0 primes from Canon. Just no new ones for EF mount. If you want the newest designs for Canon ILC, RF is the place to be.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
But we're getting F4 zooms and 1.8 or 2.0 primes from Canon. Just no new ones for EF mount. If you want the newest designs for Canon ILC, RF is the place to be.

The last time Canon released upgraded primes in the EF mount was 8 years ago, with some never getting an upgrade, e.g. 20mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 135mm f/2.

With the RF mount, Canon doesn't have much choice, so it released new 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2. I'll wait and see when Canon will release a mid range RF 50mm lens.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The last time Canon released upgraded primes in the EF mount was 8 years ago, with some never getting an upgrade, e.g. 20mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 135mm f/2.

With the RF mount, Canon doesn't have much choice, so it released new 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/2. I'll wait and see when Canon will release a mid range RF 50mm lens.
Unless the pandemic has delayed the launch even further, you won't have to wait long. Both an f/4 zoom and 50mm 1.8 are on the 2020 roadmap.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I hope this isn't the RF equivalent of the cheapo 50mm f/1.8 STM, only with IS.
I expect the RF 50mm F/1.8 IS will probably be a $400-500 prime, instead of the $150 nifty fifty. Adding IS doesn't imply the lens will be as cheap as the EF one.

I also expect it to be about the size and shape of the 35mm f/1.8 IS macro, I think it'll easily fall into the same line as that lens, instead of being any cheaper.

Never made sense to me why Canon made that mid-range EF 24mm F/2.8 IS, EF 28mm f/2.8 IS, EF 35mm f/2 IS line and never continued it into the 50mm or 85mm lengths.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Never made sense to me why Canon made that mid-range EF 24mm F/2.8 IS, EF 28mm f/2.8 IS, EF 35mm f/2 IS line and never continued it into the 50mm or 85mm lengths.

The 85mm f/1.8 has good optical performance, and Canon released the 85mm f/1.4L IS USM.

As for the 50mm f/1.4, I have no idea.

Upvote 0

rsit_richard

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2020
Hi and welcome rsit_richard to CR!

I fully second brad-mans reply.
There are some people, including me, that would love to see such a lens or at least a f/1.8 version which would be more likely.
Especially one specific member of this forum has his burden with this topic. Let's see if he'll appear here to give his comment, too ;)
But I suppose there is not enough demand to make Canon move.

If you are looking for a good EF bayonet 50 mm and don't posess the EF 50/1.8 STM already take a look at this cheap but very decent in IQ.
If you want something better take a closer look at the Sigma and Tamron eqivalents.

I went the 50 STM road, still hoping for a higher quality 50 from Canon.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I have the latest 35 and 85 1.4 from Canon but sometime I need the 50mm and would love to get something with the quality of the 35 and 85.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thank you very much for your feedback, I have the latest 35 and 85 1.4 from Canon but sometime I need the 50mm and would love to get something with the quality of the 35 and 85.
Well you aren't going to get it so either get the current EF 50 f1.4, which I think is a great lens, or crop the 35.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Don't discount the Tamron 45/1.8 VC. It's a gem IMO, sharp but with a lovely bokeh, it's even made in Japan ;)
But probably due to the pleasant fall-off and soft out of focus areas it does have CAs, so if that kind of thing drives you mad keep clear.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Don't discount the Tamron 45/1.8 VC. It's a gem IMO, sharp but with a lovely bokeh, it's even made in Japan ;)
But probably due to the pleasant fall-off and soft out of focus areas it does have CAs, so if that kind of thing drives you mad keep clear.
+1 to this if I were to choose.

Upvote 0
Yeah due to the flange distance and just due to it being 2020, we're not going to see your traditional 50mm lenses anymore. Don't expect a 50mm 1.4 to be as small as the EF version. it's going to be nearly as big as the 1.2 version, just scaled down slightly. Same goes for the 50 macro when it comes out. Probably closer to the 85 design, but larger than the RF 35.

Double Gauss design has come and gone so no surprises when a 50 1.8 if a modern design is not $99 like the old 50 STM. Completely different optical formula. That old $99 double gauss formula will not work with a mirrorless flange distance and even if it did, it would perform poorly. So again.. no more super cheap 50mm lenses.

Upvote 0